PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat form words?

Darky
06-07-2009, 12:09 PM
This is silly, but.. XD

Honey is an incredibly vocal cat. He will follow me all around the house, meowing his little kitty face off. Some of his mewls are especially weird and sound like small words - a common one is "key." The letter 'k' often comes out on his meows.

However, something creepy and hilarious just happened.

He appeared outside my bedroom door, all wet from the rain, so I looked at him and asked, "You want to come in my bedroom?"

And he meowed, "RAY-IN."

:lol: Sounded so much like rain it was weird.

Then he tried to get in my wardrobe and I was all, "Don't go in there!" and I picked him up and he went, "NO!"

I have never before heard a cat so clearly say, "No." It was so funny.

He must just have a wide vocabulary of meow noises. :roll:

niki71uk
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
no my cats dont.the older one used to be very vocal ALL the time !!!!:shock: but seems to have quitened as he got older,my younger one fortunately has never picked up the bad habit of crying,of which im very grateful:lol: the dogs very vocal tho lol,makes lots of weird noises:roll:

Leesy
06-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Both Maxi and Maisy are very very vocal and make all sorts of delightful sounds but I would never say that I think any of the chatter they make actually sounded like any words.:D

Darky
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I would consider you lucky, Leesy. XD Because it's really bizarre.

(Also - Maxi and Maisy are two of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen! And my partner agrees. :D )

Leesy
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I would consider you lucky, Leesy. XD Because it's really bizarre.

Also - Maxi and Maisy are two of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen! And my partner agrees.( :D )

Awwwwww thank you both so very much, I won`t tell them you said so other wise they may get to big for their britches :lol: :lol:

angieh
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Your Honey is not alone Darky! Have a look at this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV71mpbvl-g&NR=1)! There are others on YouTube too!

Darky
06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just played that with Honey on my lap, he looks so puzzled!

angieh
06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Sort of proves that cats speak for humans, not for each other!

dandysmom
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
My Siamese was very vocal like all of them, and he could actually say two words: out = aaaout, and now = naaaow! It was very clear what he meant, actions matched the words. Your Honey sounds like a real linguist!

Erin
06-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Elaines Eva talks :lol: She says out and no :lol:

Honestly!!!

Phoenix
06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Dylan's a chatterbox, but I've not heard him say any words yet.

cats' staff
06-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd swear somtimes Smudge adds a t to the end of meow to say 'me- out!' She also sometimes shouts 'now'.

dandysmom
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds to me as if quite a few can say out, now and no!

CathyW
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
ronnies says owl and waile , normally when i say what do u want for dinner. he also says noooooooooo

pookyandjo
07-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Tinky was a talker.... used to say nooooooooo a lot... but the funny thing was that he only ever used it in the correct context...on the way to the vet.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... when at the vet, if i was taking him out of his basket...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... if he was sitting somewhere and i moved him and he wasn't happy with that NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. you get the idea... he had quite a few other sounds... but none of them could be described as words as such.. but NO was VERY clear...
George will meow if he wants someting just noises...
Harri has lots and lots of different noises long melodious meows... short sharp meows...almost like barks sometimes... that's the food one... and she does quite a few that are a series of different pitches all together... like a sentence made up of different meows... when you does this, if i talk back to her like a conversation... she will just keep doing it... and it can go on for a few minutes... it's very funny