PDA

View Full Version : Goose down quilts.

farthing
05-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I've just been reading an article in the 'smallholder magazine' about goose down. Please if you do buy things with goose down in them, buy british. Many countries live pluck birds and do this 4 times before either culling them for meat or force feeding for fois gras. The birds are plucked without sedatives and often the skin is torn and they are turfed back out bald, the necks are even plucked.
This was somthing I was totally unaware of and I sometimes play badminton with feather shuttles which I guess uses goose feathers from the same source, so from now on I'll be using plastic.

dandysmom
05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
That's horrible! Thanks for the alert, Farthing.

angieh
05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
That is disgusting - poor birds. Humans are vile.

I have feather allergies, so have always used polyester.

Leesy
06-07-2009, 09:04 AM
That is such an awful thing to do, humans can be such vile cruel animals:evil:

yola
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks for bringing that to our attention Farthing. I had no idea that this practice was taking place.

I have feather pillows but as they're from John Lewis I would hope they've been responsibly sourced (but I'll check . . . )

alexgirl73
06-07-2009, 01:36 PM
That's horrendous!! Thankfull I'm severly allergic to goose pillows/duvets (bring on bad asthma), so don't use them. But I know my MIL does, and will be letting her know.

Kim
06-07-2009, 09:41 PM
This is why I would never buy anything with goose down, I wasn't aware that the horrors were quite as bad as that, but I did have my suspicions. :( Vile & disgusting, thanks for alerting us.

calismum
06-07-2009, 09:44 PM
It just make you dispair of the human race doesn't it.

I too have John Lewis pillows so will check those out.