PDA

View Full Version : Simon's Poorly (updated @ post 24)

kado
03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Simon's being off his food for a couple of days. He isnt eating or drinking at all. He did go out yesterday which i know was far too hot for him but he escaped through the cat flap. He is very lethargic and when he is in likes sleeping on the telly if i am not there. I was talking to a neighbour and she said who is that skinny cat and couldnt believe it was simon. In my heart of hearts i know there is something wrong its like at new year when he was poorly but not as bad. I now thinking what have i done wrong could have i prevented it. With us just getting the 2 abandoned female cats i was wondering could he be jealous but he doesnt go near them and i treat them all equally as well. They all eat out of seperate dishes which are washed up the moment they have finished eating so he cant have got anything from that either. He is my baby boy and follows me around and i dont know what i would do if they couldnt help him. My appointment is at the vets at 4.15 today i have a pet taxi picking me up

SLR30
03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Hope Simon is ok..:( sending lots of postive thoughts and hugs(())) xxx

angieh
03-07-2009, 02:03 PM
All the very best wishes and get well vibes for Simon. Hope his appointment goes well Jane.

kado
03-07-2009, 03:59 PM
The pet taxi could only take the owner in so Mandy went as i am the owner but not on there books. I told her not to do anything unless i am there. I need to be with him he has never been to the vets without me i am so scared he isnt coming back.

Leesy
03-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Ohhhh Kado, I do hope that everything goes OK at the vets and that it is nothing to serious that can`t be sorted out, sending you lots of get well wishes for Simon and big ((HUGS)) for you, try not to worry to much and do let us know how you get on x.

dandysmom
03-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Fingers crossed that it's not serious and that the vet will be able to sort him out, poor boy. You must be a nervous wreck now; do please let us know the results.. Sending good vibes, Jane .....

kado
03-07-2009, 05:10 PM
He is back. He saw the vet that likes him and know's him the most. She said he has lost a lot of weight. He has temperature and was given 2 strong AB injections. She said he will sleep he isnt dehidrated at all. His bladder is ok. He is not allowed out at all. He has a virus. He goes back on monday afternoon. It is down on his records if we feel he is not ok that i have to bring him in straight away. He has fallen asleep on a pile of letters on the kitchen side.

MrsH
03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Poor Simon, hope he feels better soon.

Leesy
03-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Awwwww poor Simon I do hope he picks up soon and that his virus clears quickly.

kado
03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
He is fast asleep now on the tv. Just read the bill. He was given 0.60mls Amos La and 0.50mls Carprofen. His temperature was 40.00degC (104.00 degf). Has any info on this.

Mags
03-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I hope Simon feels better soon, Jane....

dandysmom
03-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I hope the ABs will knockout that virus and that he'll start eating again, Glad he's not dehydrated. that's good news.

angieh
03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Poor Simon. Healing vibes for him - it's useless to say try not to worry, but he's on medication and hopefully he will perk up quickly.

Just looked up normal cat temperature - anywhere between 100.5 to 102.5 degrees F is within the normal range, so poor Simon certainly has quite a temperature.

Moli
03-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Hope the ABs help him and he is back to normal soon....

kado
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Thank you to you all

pookyandjo
04-07-2009, 08:18 AM
He is fast asleep now on the tv. Just read the bill. He was given 0.60mls Amos La and 0.50mls Carprofen. His temperature was 40.00degC (104.00 degf). Has any info on this.

Kado i hope Simon is feeling feeling better soon...When Harri had the cat flu a couple of months ago her temp was up to 40.1 cel.. and she did lots of sleeping...out vet said it was the best thing for her... and not to be suprised if she slept for 23 out of 24 hours... he said as long as when she was awake she was alert... even if it was only for 5 mins at a time...
Carprofen (Rimadyl) is an excellent pain killer ( non steroidal anti infllammatory type) it can last up to 72 hours in cats...
once his temp comes down he will be feeling a lot more comfortable..

kado
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
He realy started to worry me now. He still isnt eating or drinking he just refuses it and turns away. At the most he has weighed 14lbs he must be under 7lbs now. He is all skin and bones and i dont know what to do for the best for him. His next appoinment is on monday and if the vet says they cant do anymore we wont let him suffer. The pet taxi only takes one person and i want to be with him if anything happens does that sound mean but i dont want him to suffer. He cries when ou pick him up its not my simon

angieh
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh Jane - I am so sorry. It is certainly not mean of you not to want him to suffer. You know him best and we all know and understand what you are going through. You must do what your heart tells you is best for Simon, although it is heartbreaking for you. ((((HUGS))))

dandysmom
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Jane, I hope it won't come to that, but you'll know when the time comes; you don't want him to suffer. It's never easy ....(((hugs)))

MadCatLady
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Hope he perks up soon! But sleepin is good... a virus takes a few days to work its self out!

kado
04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I know there's no comparison but i lost my eldest daughter to a virus so that's why i panick more. I syringed some water down him today and he as kept it down. he seems a lot cooler than yesterday. What upsets me the most is that if i had took him sooner would he be has bad as he is.

jane

Leesy
06-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Kado, how is Simon now and is he any better, and please don`t beat yourself up about wether you should have taken him sooner you have taken him and he is having treatment thats all you can do, it is so obvious that you care and love him so much and would do your best to keep him safe. ((BIG HUGS)) x.

pookyandjo
06-07-2009, 08:42 AM
glad he's managed to keep a little water down via the syringe...a couple of ml every 20 or 30 mins will help him...
as long as he doesn't bring it back up
maybe when you are at the vet.. ask them if they think its approriate to get a little can of on of the hills special diets... these are really good because they are easily mixed with water to form a "slurry " type consistency and can be given to him via the syringe as well...

kado
06-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I was hoping against hope that it would be a good one. The vet said he is severley underweight and they think that his liver has packed in. He is on a drip and having test but i know the outcome he isnt my simon.

Leesy
06-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Oh Jane I am so sorry to hear that:cry: , I do so hope that it isn`t a problem with his liver, if it is have they said if there is anything they can do?
Again Jane I am so very very sorry you must be so worried and upset, sending you lots of ((love)), ((hugs)) and healing vibes for Simon Xxx.

kado
06-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Thankyou. Its gone to far for it i think. His skin is realy yellow. I have to phone up at 5pm to see how he is. They wont do anything unless they phone us but i realy need to be there.

Mags
06-07-2009, 04:04 PM
So sorry to hear this Jane, keeping my fingers crossed for him....

yola
06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Jane, I do hope very much that there is something which can be done for Simon. You must be so distraught . . . lots of hugs coming your way.

Gumby Cat
06-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Hugs from me too. I do hope you will get good news, I know how worried you must be.

alexgirl73
06-07-2009, 05:36 PM
((hugs)) from me Jane, thinking of you xx

Moli
06-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Everything crossed here too...

Kim
06-07-2009, 09:39 PM
So sorry to hear this, thinking of you xx

pookyandjo
07-07-2009, 03:21 AM
i hope the news is better than you think when the vet calls you Jane...i dont want to give you false hope.... but it could be something as simple as him not wanting to eat has caused some problems with his liver
when cats dont eat their livers produce an enzyme which damages it...and it creates a condition called feline hepatic lipidosis... and its makes the cat feel unwell and not want to eat... which just makes the problem worse...
so if he hasn't been eating because he's been feeling unwell for a period of time... it can cause problems with the liver... it might be something as simple as putting him on appetite stimulants to make him eat but your vet will have a better idea after they have had him on the drip and evaluated him...
obviously if your vet tells you it's time then that's what has to be done... but dont write him off yet...
sending Simon lots of get well vibes
take care xox

Leesy
07-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Is there any news yet Jane from the vets and how is he, I do hope like Jo has said it is a problem that can be resolved quite easily, fingers crossed Pauline Xxx.

kado
07-07-2009, 10:09 AM
He is still on a drip and they are doing more blood test today. I have got to phone back at three and they might know more then

Phoenix
07-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Fingers crossed here and I hope he gets better :(

Leesy
07-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Good luck at three oclock, I do hope that it is good news.

dinahsmum
07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
It will seem a long day for you.
I hope you might get good news

MrsH
07-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Is there any news yet? Hoping there's some improvement.

angieh
07-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Loads of healing vibes ............ and fingers crossed.

moonstone
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Poor Simon:( and poor you too!you must be so worried aboout him:(
I do hope that he feel,s better soon:D I am sure he will once the ABX start to work:D

kado
07-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Phoned the vets up just now. No results are back yet got to phone up in the morning again. He isnt improving at all he isnt getting better just worse. If the blood results come back and they are not very good we will not let him suffer at all. Thanks for all your replys

jane

Leesy
07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh Jane I am so sorry to hear that there is no improvment and he appears to be getting worse:cry: . I will still keep my fingers crossed that there is something that can be done for him.
Sending you and Simon lots of ((HUGS)) Pauline Xxx.

calismum
07-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Fingers crossed the results show something that means treatment is possible.

Big (((hugs))) coming your way.

dandysmom
07-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh Jane, I'm sorry the news isn't too good; lots of prayers and healing vibes coming. xxx

yola
07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Hang on in there Jane . . . 'it ain't over 'til it's over' as they say.

I hope the vet can find something that will relieve Simon's symptoms once he has full blood test results.

kado
07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
how long do blood test results take too come back

dandysmom
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry, think it depends on which lab your vet uses if they don't do it in house.

kado
07-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Just phoned the vet up couldnt wait till morning. He is still on the drip but has eaten a small amount he hasnt eaten anything since last thursday.

yola
07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Well that's got to be a good thing. Is he being watched during the night and fed if required?

dandysmom
07-07-2009, 09:37 PM
That's an encouraging sign! Did they tell you when they expect the blood work results?

kado
07-07-2009, 11:06 PM
He is beign watched during the night. Simon, Guinness and lucky all go to the local pdsa which i am eternaly gratefull for and i always donate every time we go. Even when i found the last two and reported them there they asked about him. There is a lovely receptionst there who loves him and guinness and all the vets love him too and know him so well. I got to phone back at 10am to see how he is. I ama bit more possitive tonight about him it is so quiet even though we have the others they are so subude. Guinness who he sleeps with keeps taking it out of kado and fighting so kado fights back and guinness doesnt seem to want to stay in. I dont want them too go out but they escape though the cat flap which i block but they ram raid it until i find out what caused simons illness incase he could have been harmed in someway

Leesy
08-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Glad to hear that he has eaten a little food, fingers crossed he will eat a little more each day:D

kado
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Simon has got a problem with his liver. He has picked up a little and the good news is he is coming home tonight. They want to see him on friday.

dandysmom
08-07-2009, 04:55 PM
So glad he's coming home and eating a bit. Hope the liver problem will be treatable, Jane ......

kado
08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
The blood results wont be back till friday. It was a friend that was looking after him but he is back. His neck has being shaved as well as his 2 front paws he is back on friday afternoon

angieh
08-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I also hope whatever ails his liver is treatable. (((HUGS))) for you Jane and Simon too.

kado
08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
He has eaten about a teaspoonfull of whiskers supermeat. And only just got off my knee. I font care but he has preminatley attached his self to me. He did escape but he couldnt climb the wall so we able to get him in. He is fast asleep on the window sill now

Leesy
08-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Glad Simon is back home with you and I do hope that there is something that they can do about his liver once the test results have come back.
Pauline Xxx.

yola
09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I hope Simon's condition is treatable too - or at least controllable. It's great to read that he's home . . . sometimes that in itself can really help raise spirits.

kado
09-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Simon wouldnt leave my knee all night if i moved he followed. He hasnt had anything to eat or drink this morning but has been for a wee. I think your spot on yola i think controllable at least. I dont know what i should expect from him he keeps whimpering realy quielty.

jane

Mags
09-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope when the tests come back you'll know what you're dealing with, Jane.

In the meantime I would keep him indoors for his own safety...

kado
09-07-2009, 02:19 PM
He is staying in. He is upstairs asleep on my daughters pillow.

kado
09-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Simon's results are back but they wont give us them over the phone so where taking him in straight away when my daughter gets back. It isnt going to be good news

dinahsmum
09-07-2009, 04:08 PM
It doesn't sound so good but ..... well, you never know.
Best wishes anyway - you will make the right decision for him I know

Leesy
09-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree it dosen`t sound like it is good news if they won`t tell you over the phone, but you never know, still keeping my fingers crossed for Simon. ((HUGS)) Xxx.

dandysmom
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Suspect it's not good news, but fingers crossed that it's not. (((hugs))), Jane.

angieh
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
((((HUGS)))) Jane. We know that you will do whatever is best for Simon.

Elaine
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Sounds like Hepatic Lipidosis, cats can recover from this but it is a very long slow process.
http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fatty_liver.htm

https://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=Fatty%20Liver%20Syndrome%2C%2 0Feline&COLLECTION=1&MODE=full

yola
09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Jane, I'm sincerely hoping it's not as bad as you're anticipating. However - if worst comes to the worst . . . be strong for Simon.

kado
09-07-2009, 06:34 PM
He is at the vets. Cant remember the name but. its the thing that turns him yellow thats double the normal dose at 170 and another atp should be not over 75 and his is 975. They arnt giving up on him and putting a drip back up and given him a scan tomorrow. From getting in the taxi and being taken in by the vets he never stopped meowing. Its not poisoning and the other cats can not catch it will no more in morning

angieh
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
jaundice???????

Elaine
09-07-2009, 06:40 PM
It's called hepatic lipidosis and generally happens to old and/or overweight cats. As the liver fails they become jaundiced. The liver is a rejenerative organ if treated early enough but as I said it is a long slow process and usually involves syringe feeding as well as fluid therapy.

Elaine
09-07-2009, 06:48 PM
http://www.mc.uky.edu/healthsciences/faculty/bruckner.html

dandysmom
09-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the link, Elaine. Jane. hope all goes well, good that they're treating it ... fingers still crossed~

Moli
09-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds like Hepatic Lipidosis, cats can recover from this but it is a very long slow process.
http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fatty_liver.htm

https://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycEntry.cfm?ENTRY=Fatty%20Liver%20Syndrome%2C%2 0Feline&COLLECTION=1&MODE=full

Thanks for the links Lainey...Very informative, and easy to understand...;)

Elaine
09-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Turning this condition around is not for the faint hearted. My poor Woody was pts with this condition. He wasnt an easy cat to medicate and was very easily stressed, so for him and for us, it was kinder that we had him pts.
I hope it can be turned around for Simon but like i keep saying it is a long and slow process.

jan
09-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I have just been reading this thread - please be positive for Simon, sending good vibes his way - do hope he starts to recover soon. Jan x

kado
10-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Just spoke to the vet nurse who is a friend of ours. He is comfitable at the moment. He did say he had heptitas but his liver is failing. Theres no way i will give up on my baby boy but i cant let him suffer. He is having a scan in the morning.

Leesy
10-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Fingers crossed that the scan will show up some positive signs, sending well wishes your way ((HUGS)) Xxx.

Elaine
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
I have just been reading this thread - please be positive for Simon, sending good vibes his way - do hope he starts to recover soon. Jan x

I do wish him well and am only trying to be realistic and not negative. Recovery depends on alot of effort and commitment, it's not easy to turn these things around but it can be done and I assume the vet feels that it can be turned around also otherwise they wouldnt be putting in so much effort.

Elaine
10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
http://www.fleascontrol.com/feline-hepatitis.htm

kado
10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
That's the only reason he is still with us. If the vets arnt giving up on him. He has fought so hard and has had so many hurdles since i joined here he deserves a fighting chance

kado
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Just spoke to the vet and she said it is calegalous hepatitas and its not cureable. I asked her if its kinder to pts and probaly it is. I going up there in an hour
jane

angieh
10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I am very sorry Jane. ((((HUGS))))

Leesy
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news Jane:cry: , (((BIG HUGS)) to you both Xxx.

dinahsmum
10-07-2009, 01:11 PM
((hugs)) to you

Gumby Cat
10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Oh Jane I'm so very sorry, I know how heart-breaking it must be for you. At least you know that everything possible was done for Simon.

I'm sure he will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

dandysmom
10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh Jane, I am so so sorry....you did all you could, now it's time for him to rest ..... ((hugs)))