PDA

View Full Version : Fat Pets, Fat Owners

angieh
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
[Mods - I feel this really is a Health issue - I did consider Entertainment and Health and Relationships too as the appropriate place, but do think it should be here!]

Just to let you know that there is a mini series on Sky running on Thursday 16, Friday 17 and Saturday 18 July at 9.00 pm.

It's about pets and their owners battling the flab together. Evidently, 40% of UK pets are obese. The pets (cats and dogs) attend the Royal Canin Weight Management Clinic at the University of Liverpool's Small Animal Teaching Hospital and their owners go to the University of Chester's Centre for Exercise and Nutrition.

To quote the Sky Magazine "Likely to fascinate and rile animal lovers in equal measure".

yola
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't have sky so can't watch this, but not sure I would anyway. I find these programmes so frustrating as I feel people who subject themselves to such documentaries are really attention-seeking for the wrong reasons and somehow perversly glorifying exactly what they purport to be fighting against.

(Just my opinion . . . )

Leesy
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Sounds interesting Angie, but I am afraid I won`t beable to watch it as I will be away on holiday in Rhodes (yehhhhhhh):D

angieh
02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't have sky so can't watch this, but not sure I would anyway. I find these programmes so frustrating as I feel people who subject themselves to such documentaries are really attention-seeking for the wrong reasons and somehow perversly glorifying exactly what they purport to be fighting against.

(Just my opinion . . . )

Sometimes I agree Yola - but I always wonder how the people are talked into "performing" for the camera. In this instance though, I wonder whether alerting people to the potential hazards for their pets does make the whole thing worthwhile. I know I am overweight, but I have never overfed my cats because of it.

angieh
02-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Sounds interesting Angie, but I am afraid I won`t beable to watch it as I will be away on holiday in Rhodes (yehhhhhhh):D

Good enough reason ............ lucky you!

yola
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Sometimes I agree Yola - but I always wonder how the people are talked into "performing" for the camera. In this instance though, I wonder whether alerting people to the potential hazards for their pets does make the whole thing worthwhile. I know I am overweight, but I have never overfed my cats because of it.

Me too - hence joining a gym :oops: As you know Balie's a bit of a bag of bones at the mo, but Myshka's a chunky monkey . . . so I constantly worry about whether I'm feeding them enough/too much.

Is there a direct correlation between overweight people and overweight pets? I'm kind of interested in the psychology of this, but I hate the voyeuristic aspects of how these things are portrayed in terms of 'reality TV'.

MadCatLady
02-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Oh poppy cock!!!! :roll:

I am fat coz I eat toooooo much & move toooooo little.... Bear has had weight issues when he was on steriods for his bladder but since the willie chop op he is much better! Otherwise my Feline Tribe are optimum weight even Sullivan now we have shifted his beer belly (it's now just 3 sets of flabby man boobs instead!!!) :-D Sexy!

angieh
03-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes, but ......... isn't there a proved correlation between fat parents and fat children, and wouldn't it be reasonable to ask the question if an overweight person does have an overweight pet? It probably boils down to not knowing much about nutrition, either human or whatever is best for the particular animal. All an education issue.

dandysmom
03-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm normal weight for my age and build; Leia is a bit on the podgy side, but not obese. Both of our faults: I think I feed her too much, and she won't exercise!

A study just released here shows that every State in the Union, including the District, has had an increase in the percentage of obese individuals since the last survey. Not good!

angieh
03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Would you say it is an education issue, Eileen? Or could there be fault laid at the door of manufactured foods, where a lot of fat, salt and sugar is "hidden"? This could also apply to pet food.

dandysmom
03-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, with all the news about the dangers of fast foods and not enough exercise you'd think that everyone would know. But it's like the "Spay and Neuter" campaigns, the ones who need to heed it aren't the people who read or follow it on TV,,,,,, And people do know better but like fast foods because they taste good and are convenient. And in some poorer areas there are less fresh fruits and vegetables available. So, part education, part inertia, part availability. You're right about the hidden amounts of fats, sugars, etc, in manufactured foods being a factor, it's on the labels but few people read them. It's complex, isn't it?

angieh
03-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes, and some of the labelling is anything but straightforward ......... as I'm finding out!

MadCatLady
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Also the better quality the food the bigger the price tag.... in many cases the animal fund is the first to take a hit in households!

dandysmom
04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Also the better quality the food the bigger the price tag.... in many cases the animal fund is the first to take a hit in households!

So true! I like to shop at our organic market; stuff is pricier but I know I'm not eating all kinds of additives, colorants, preservatives, etc. And Leia absolutely hates the good-for-her healthy organic cat food! :roll:

MadCatLady
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Have you tried cooking your own for her DM?

dandysmom
04-07-2009, 08:06 PM
No. MCL, I've read my vet's recipes for home cooked cat food, but Leia is VERY picky! She doesn't eat fish, except very recently decided she will eat tinned cat tuna; doesn't like chicken except the Fancy Feast minced one. And the ones that have rice or a little bit of vegetable in them she manages to eat around those bits! She's 10 and stubborn and set in her ways ....she thinks cat food comes in tins and that is what she wants! She does like dry food, but as she had cystitis once (stress induced, I believe) I keep the dry to about 10 - 20% of her diet.