PDA

View Full Version : Furballs

Leesy
01-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I was wondering can anybody tell me as to what is roughly the normal length of time between furballs on a long haired breed of cat like Maxi, as I think he is about to produce another furball again as he is wanting his food but just playing with it a nibbling it like he has done before when he is going to produce one, and I am sure it was only about 3 wks ago since he had one come up:? :?

angieh
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Sorry Leesy, can't help there as I have never had a long haired cat. Do you give Maxi anything to help with furball upchucking?

Leesy
01-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I don`t as I don`t really know what you are meant to give them:oops: as I have not had a long haired cat before and it is all knew to me.
I am also a bit cautious about giving him things because of his dodgy bowels incase it triggers anything off in that department.
He does get brushed everyday but he does do alot of self grooming as well. I was just wondering if sort of every 3 to 4 wks was the norm.:?

janey83
01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I remember seeing some biscuits that can help with fur balls.. cant remember where it was as it was a few years ago... may have been at the vets or on the internet!

angieh
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
dandysmom mentioned something a short while ago in another thread, but I can't remember the name and I expect it's only available in the US.

I do appreciate that you have worries concerning Maxi's digestive problems anyway, so it may be better to ask your vet for advise as he/she will know Maxi's medical history.

Mags
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I give Cassie Defurr-UM treats, you can also buy it as a paste ........ Pets at Home stock it or you can purchase it here (http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3164-defurr-um-plus-cat-hairball-paste.aspx)

Another popular treatment is Katalax (http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/Hairballs.html)

Elaine
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Katalax and De-furum are mild laxative so you may want to be careful with them if he has bowel troubles, Kitty grass may help and Royal Canin do dry food for long hair cats which claims to help with hairballs.
The more they groom, the more thay will produce furballs. Will he let you groom him? My Bernie runs at the sight of the brush with the result being that he produces more furballs than Eva does.

Moli
01-07-2009, 08:59 PM
One of mine chucks them up regularly, I give him katalax, which luckily he will lick out of the tube....

Leesy
01-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks everybody for your responses, the Katalax and De-furum sound good but I think I will ask the vet first before trying him with any if like Elaine says they are mild laxatives as I do not want to start his tummy off, the RC food also sounds like it might be worth a try (could be better for his tummy).
Thanks girls :D

Leesy
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh I nearly forgot Elaine, yes I do brush them both every day, sometimes they really enjoy a good brush and then other times they appear to hate it:? , they can be very strange these feline companions;)

dandysmom
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I mentioned the brand Petromalt which is popular in the States; Katalax is, I believe, the same thing. It's a flavored petroleum jelly which most cats adore and will lick off your finger. I would check with the vet first seeing that he has tummy problems, but have never heard of any side effects of using it. I've never had a longhair; and believe it or not Leia has never had a furrball! I am so lucky...Patches my tortie was the odd cat who did not like Petromalt, and she was my furball queen! Yuck!

Leesy
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks DM, it makes you wonder how wild cats manage as Maxi appears to really go off his food when he has one brewing and can be sick a couple of times before it comes up and then just wants to eat and eat.

MadCatLady
02-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Hello! :)
Katalax & various treats help push the furballs out the 'other end' as does the various furball foods I believe (available from our affiliate too!!!)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=275

and my two long haired fluff balls have totally different habits.. Sasha-Bella-Psycho-Hussey will relieve herself a little & often with 'furbits' rather than furballs whereas RigbyBigBear will approx 4 times a year bring up something resembeling the length of his entire intestine!!!! :shock:

Bless!!! :roll:

Leesy
02-07-2009, 08:06 AM
So really from the sounds of that then MCL they can pretty much vary as to how often they get rid of them:roll:

pookyandjo
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Pauline the other thing to consider is that you guys are coming out of your cooler weather there, hence Maxi is possibly still shedding his winter coat?... so when he grooms... he is swallowing more?... just a thought...
As for the katalax.. George will lick it off my finger... and it works quiet well...

MadCatLady
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Furballs are of a great variety & it obviously also depends on how much they groom, how much they shed & the type of fur they have!

I have to feed Bear Hills C/d for his bladder if not I would have tried the hairball variety!

I'll live with the furballs rather than another blockage in his bladder!! :D

Mags
03-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Off- topic posts have been deleted, I was trying to move the posts into a new thread but pressed the wrong button and they got merged into one post instead :lol:

Feel free to start a new thread on the topic if you wish ;)