PDA

View Full Version : I'm still too hot!

angieh
30-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Kizzy is still too warm - these pictures were taken this morning.
It's overcast again and very humid here.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Kizzi%20cat/P1020057.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Kizzi%20cat/P1020058.jpg

OH heard on the news that vets are recommending giving your pets ice cubes to cool them down. Dogs? Well, that's easy - but how do you give a cat an ice cube???

random
30-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Isn't she just beautiful!

I actually put ice cubes in the cats water bowls yesterday and they just fished them out and had them all over the house so I won't be doing that again!

HappyKatz
30-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Kizzy is a cute stretchy kitty :cat27 Shes so lovely! We put ice cubes in our cats water dish or in a bowl so it doesn't melt everywhere, they love it :cat10

yola
30-06-2009, 02:57 PM
These ice packs you can get for picnic hampers (like chemical coolant with a plastic outer) are great when wrapped in a towel . . . the cats can lounge on them and get cool without suffering frostbite :D

Leesy
30-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Awwwww Kizzy does look so sweet, but you can tell she looks all hot and bothered (bless).

Love the ideas for helping the cats to cool off and Yola that does sound like a really good idea:D .

angieh
30-06-2009, 04:44 PM
That's such a cool idea Yola! I actually have one of those in the freezer atm - we used it for MIL when one of her knees swelled up. I'll see if Kizzy likes it!

dandysmom
30-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Poor Kizzy! Love that second pic of her, the closeup; she does look a bit unhappy but resigned, bless her! That's an excellent idea of Yola's! Leia doesn't mind the heat any more than I do, fortunately. It's 28C here now before lunch.

calismum
30-06-2009, 07:20 PM
What a lovely girl she is.

I have a small electric fan I place on the floor, Alfie just lies in front of it when he feels too hot.

angieh
30-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I did try the ice pack, but Kizzy wasn't interested in it! I also cooled my hands down and tried to stroke her - she didn't care much for that either, and she's generally a girl who loves to be stroked. She preferred to stretch out on the dining room table!

SLR30
30-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Awww Kizzy is gorgeous!:D

Netty
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I've got a standing fan and right now Benny is lying stretched out on the couch, getting full exposure! I feel so sorry for them in this weather.

EmmaG
01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
awww bless her!!! She is such a pretty girl!

Arthur will sit infront of a fan we have in the dining room to cool off, he has suffered from the heat quite a bit today. Bronwyn doesn't seem to be too bothered.

Erin
01-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Awww shes gorgeous Angie :D

MadCatLady
03-07-2009, 05:23 AM
;) Pretty!!! But peed off i'd say!

Try putting a little cold water & ice cubes in the bath with some ping pong balls & stuff... my lot hang over the bath & paddle & splash and cool each other off!?

momof10
03-07-2009, 06:16 AM
She is pretty. We have air conditioning so my cats are fine. I dont know what you would do to keep them cool. Cept the fan and the ice cubes in the water bowl. My cats get hot even with air, they sometimes lay right on the vents. So do my ferrets. I do know that when pets are overheated they put rubbing alcohol on their paws, dont know if that would work or not. They would prob just lick it off. Good luck and try to stay cool all of you.

pookyandjo
03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
i have always wet my cats down in the hot weather... wet my hands... and run my hands down their bodies... do that quite a few times and their fur will get quite damp....then they lick themselves dry... a wet face cloth works just the same if they wont stand there whilst the water is running...a lot of cats dont feel like drinking when the weather is so hot... which is exactly the time they need to do it... but few cats will resist grooming themselves when their fur is wet..

pookyandjo
03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
forgot to add.... cute pic of Kizzy Angie... she does look hot and bothered though... still a sweetie!

angieh
03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all your lovely comments - I have tried the wet hands, which worked for me as I got furry hands, but Kizzy didn't care for it much!!! I tried the ice pack, but she wasn't impressed with that. We DON'T HAVE A FAN - well, MIL does, but it's in her room and she needs it more than we do.

However, it is much cooler today, thank goodness, and Kizzy is a gal about the garden again - and very happy!

dandysmom
03-07-2009, 04:18 PM
None of mine have liked the fans; did like to sit in a window with a natural breeze though.