PDA

View Full Version : Feeding times....

SLR30
29-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Jinks has always loved his food, the thing is he constantly wants me to feed him - even when he has got food! he will sit and stalk me until I get up and sort him out...so I started pretending...I go to his cupboard in kitchen get his food and he follows me and he stands there (with his bowl already full) and I shake the box as if its coming out and then he will eat what was already there!:roll: Now sometimes ive noticed he just wants me to walk him to his food! cos he will not leave me alone till ive gone with himto his bowl and then he eats! He doesnt do this all the time but at least a few times a nite ! im up and down up and down! any ideas why?? or have I basically spoiled him:-D

Leesy
29-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Lol:lol: , I have no idea as my cats have never done that, but one of my friends cat does do this which I do find very strange, so sorry I can`t help you with that.

dandysmom
29-06-2009, 10:26 PM
That's a new one to me; none of mine have done that. Maybe just a form of attention seeking?????

angieh
29-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Kizzy does this too - she tells me she is hungry and I go to the kitchen with her and there are kibbles in her bowl, so she tucks in. While it's so hot, I use the opportunity to give her fresh water. She's a good drinker which pleases me no end. She does not do it as often as your Jinks seems to and I would think that you are reinforcing the behaviour. I would try and break him of it, or perhaps only go with him once during the evening.............

SLR30
30-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi all, thanks for your replies,,, I think you are right that I am reinforcing the behaviour - Im gonna try and not pamper to his needs as much :D :D

random
30-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Mine do this too, they always have food in their bowls and yet ask for more so sometimes I will pretend to put more in and then they eat what is already there. :roll:

MadCatLady
30-06-2009, 11:53 PM
My Tribe get fed when I come in from work and are pretty good with that. I know how much wet/dry food they are allowed and simply divide that through the day.... Mine tend to eat if they are hungry with exception of Evvie who will eat until she explodes if allowed!!

I do think it's an attention thing though, maybe Jinx is looking for affirmation that he is allowed to eat?? :roll:

SLR30
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
My Tribe get fed when I come in from work and are pretty good with that. I know how much wet/dry food they are allowed and simply divide that through the day.... Mine tend to eat if they are hungry with exception of Evvie who will eat until she explodes if allowed!!

I do think it's an attention thing though, maybe Jinx is looking for affirmation that he is allowed to eat?? :roll:

He knows he is allowed to eat - yeah I think it is an attention thing:) I always give in to him lolx

janey83
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM
My cat Tigger use to meow at us to walk into the kitchen with him, we'd get to his bowl and it would have plenty of food in there, i'd say youve got food what do you want? he'd then look at me and then go and eat lol.

pookyandjo
04-07-2009, 12:02 PM
SLR30, yes you are probably reinforcing his behaviour... but he's eating and thats a good thing!... a little spoiling never hurt anyone... that's why we love them so much

Tinky used to do this all the time... and i would pretend to give him more food and he would eat... or if there was no food left in the daily container but some in his bowl i would "re arrange "the food in his bowl and he would eat it...funny quirky little thing... yes i pandered to his quirkyness too much mainly because he was a problem eater so i would do whatever it took to get him to eat!

George has started a funny little habt that i haven't decided if its good or bad...
he refuses to eat wet food... and given his recent bout of cystitis i have to try and a bit more water into him...
well once a day he was having metacam on his food... for those of you who have given this to their cats is has a honey smell/flavour and George loved it... when it's despensed it comes in syringe type dropper..
after a couple of days on the metacam he wouldn't eat his food unless there was metacam on it... i'd dsh out his food and he would wait for me to put the metacam on... so i got the syringe... filled it up from his water bowl... and sprinkled it on his food... as if it was metacam... now he waits me me to use the syringe everytime i put food in his bowl... lol sometimes cats are so smart... and other times not!... i suppose if it gets extra fluid into him i should be happy... it really doesnt take much more than a minute or so to do it.. it's just funny how he wont eat wet food... but he will eat his dry food with water on it... go figure

dandysmom
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Sort of a placebo reaction maybe, Jo. He associates the syringe with "going to taste good", and although it's just water and doesn't alter the flavor, he's happy. They do have some strange quirks, don't they? Anyhow, as you say, extra fluids are always good!