PDA

View Full Version : Cat collar a problem

TomJerry
23-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi all

my new cat Pebble has been at the vet yesterday for microchip and neuter. she is doing very well and by 8pm last night seem to be over the anaesthetic. However as instructed by the vet if I am not around leave the collar on her to ensure she doesnt lick her wound. Well.....she wasn't happy about that and I was worried she was going to hurt herself more with it on.

Has anyone used anything else or is there really a need? she doesn't seem to be bothering her wound too much for now anyway

thanks
:?

Elaine
23-06-2009, 05:12 PM
To be honest, when my Eva was spayed she was such a pittiful sight with the collar on, depressed, wouldnt eat and just hid so we took it off. She never bothered her wound and was fine.

Moli
23-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi all

my new cat Pebble has been at the vet yesterday for microchip and neuter. she is doing very well and by 8pm last night seem to be over the anaesthetic. However as instructed by the vet if I am not around leave the collar on her to ensure she doesnt lick her wound. Well.....she wasn't happy about that and I was worried she was going to hurt herself more with it on.

Has anyone used anything else or is there really a need? she doesn't seem to be bothering her wound too much for now anyway

thanks
:?I have never used a collar, always a tshirt, kids one for dogs and a babies one for the cats...

angieh
23-06-2009, 05:24 PM
If your cat is not bothering about the incision and is obviously miserable with it, not eating etc. I am sure taking the collar off is OK - just keep an eye on the wound site to ensure she's not ripping at it. Not sure if cats feel itching as wounds heal as we would. The T shirt idea is good for light protection without a horrible collar.

TomJerry
23-06-2009, 06:49 PM
thanks all good to hear other options

dandysmom
23-06-2009, 10:46 PM
My boy managed to get his off within half an hour of getting home; never bothered the wound. Neither of my girl cats had collars (this was quite a while ago),and were OK also. Just keep n eye on her.

pookyandjo
24-06-2009, 03:06 AM
my cats have always hated collars... and as such i use a medical pet shirt which covers the majority of suture lines on the body trunk...
as long as you keep an eye on Pebble to make sure she doesn't play with the stitches...the main danger time i have found is right after they eat... that is when they usually like to sit down and have an all over wash... and thats when they sometimes "discover" their stitches

TomJerry
24-06-2009, 09:27 AM
I am liking the idea of baby clothing suggested thats easy to get.

the medical pet shirt.....where do you get them, can you buy online? I cannot find a site

thanks all

pookyandjo
24-06-2009, 09:35 AM
here is hte website for them

http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/pages/44uk_contact_information.html

Some vets have them.. it will be amatter of ringing around i would think to see who has them... or the website may be able to direct you to one in your area that has them

good luck

TomJerry
25-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi all

Pebble is doing well not touched her wound so no need to use collar or baby clothes so far. Still not eating great just the odd biscuit but she will no doubt decide when she is ready.

Came across the old 80's leg warmers yesterday, so for £1 purchased them and stretching one on a wide bottle, thought that would be worth a try if I need to use something, thought I would share that thought

cheers

Leesy
25-06-2009, 08:35 AM
:lol: :lol: I am just trying to picture a little kitty in a leg warmer :lol: :lol: .
Do hope that she leaves her stitches alone though.

TomJerry
25-06-2009, 10:19 PM
lucky she has left her stitches alone

The neon colours of leg warmers these days would be enought to pull your stitches out..... if you had them

x

dandysmom
25-06-2009, 10:34 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

angieh
25-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Wouldn't you need a very long kitty or a rather short leg warmer??? :-D :-D :-D

Gumby Cat
29-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Solomon nearly went berserk when he was fitted with a collar to prevent him from nibbling his stitches after an op. Over the weekend he managed to get it off twice, I left it off after the second time, he was much happier and the stitches stayed in place this time!

TomJerry
29-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Update is a week has passed now and Pebble is fine with no need for a collar .....(or leg warmer!) she has been very good and not touched her wound at all, licked herself everywhere where there is normal hair growth - perhaps the bald patch put her off!

thanks to all for the support great forums

x

dandysmom
29-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Glad to hear that; thanks for the update!