PDA

View Full Version : Burmese anyone?

angieh
22-06-2009, 11:09 PM
In the continuing hunt for a Kompanion for Kizzy, I have contacted a person from the Burmese Cat Club about rehoming. I have only known one Burmese, who was an absolute darling.

Does anyone have any insight into this delightful breed?

dandysmom
23-06-2009, 02:32 AM
My only experience with a Burm was meeting one at a cat show quite a while back......a stunning girl and very very friendly. Purrs ad head butts.

Leesy
23-06-2009, 09:07 AM
The only insight I have about the Burmese is what I have read and they always come across as a fantastic breed to own, they always seem to be spoken about as a lovely friendly affectionate breed, one that I had contemplated before I went for Maine Coons.

Kazz
23-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Only that they are a breed along with Dawn's BSH that I really like the look of.....they come across to me as friendly confident and happy.....best of luck.

yola
23-06-2009, 09:31 AM
OH had Burmese before I met him (2 or 3 recuse ones) and only has good things to say about them.

Kazz
23-06-2009, 09:55 AM
This is sounding good here Angie............:)

random
23-06-2009, 01:02 PM
My old neighbour has one, she's a lovely cat, very cuddly and affectionate. Full of personality.

pookyandjo
23-06-2009, 01:37 PM
never had a burmeseAngie... or even known one for that matter... but if they are as nice personality wise as they are cute... you can't help but do well!

calismum
23-06-2009, 06:48 PM
My Mum always had burmese - chocolates and browns. Apart from one that was a bit stand offish, the rest were absolute charmers. Laid back, affectionate, clever and very friendly. Also v beautiful cats.

calismum
23-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Forgot - they were also quite chatty, not as much a Siamese but more than a 'normal' (whatever that is) cat.

Elaine
23-06-2009, 07:32 PM
The only owners I have talked to, all of their burmese had CRF at varying ages. Certain breeds are more suseptible to CRF but that doesnt mean that they will succum to it at an early age.

angieh
23-06-2009, 08:03 PM
That's sad news Elaine.

Chatty is fine - I like chatty! Kizzy is quite chatty and has a good vocabulary!

dandysmom
23-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not surprised that they're chatty... after all there is Siamese in the foundation stock of the breed! And we all know how Siamese can talk.and talk....and talk!. I like chatty too; Leia is more the strong silent type; rarely has anything to say except at meal time. Although she does prrt to me!

angieh
23-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Now here's a Q - is cat chat just for our benefit, or do they "talk" to each other? Yes, I have seen the YouTube vid!

dandysmom
23-06-2009, 08:24 PM
They mostly talk to us because they have decided we're too dense to understand the subtleties of body language. Other than mum cats with kittens, and the caterwauling of the mating game and the vocalized threats in a real cat fight, they rarely speak to one another!

calismum
24-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Have phoned Mum and asked her re CRF. Of the 11 Burmese she has owned 2 had CRF. All lived to over age 15, one to 23.

She did however say that CRF was not always well known when she had her cats but in her opinion the others did not have it or if they did it was not at a level that affected their life.

Hope that helps.

angieh
24-06-2009, 10:32 PM
That's more promising CM - thanks for checking that with your mum for me. Didn't know she was such a huge Burmese fan! All her cats lived to good ages too - that's promising. I just have to hope that the lady I phoned phones me back! I'm fairly sure that I couldn't afford to buy a kitten, as much as I would like to, so if I can find a nice boy that needs rehoming, so much the better. The Burmese I knew years ago was a rehome. You couldn't have wanted a nicer cat - he was called "Placido" as his original owner was an opera fan. Buy he was called "Placi" and he really was a very placid boy. I really used to enjoy going round to look after him.

dandysmom
24-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I have no idea what the incidence of CRF is in Burmese, but it does seem to be an affliction that affects many breeds of cats as they age .... most of the ones here, and Carolyn's Kate, were moggys. It's just a chance you have to take.

angieh
25-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes Eileen - that's the measured view one has to take. It's a shame of course for the poor cats involved and in time the outlook may be brighter. Vet research seems to come on much more quickly than human!

Leesy
25-06-2009, 12:05 PM
CRF is something I now worry about with Maxi and Maisy Moo after reading that Maine Coons can be prone to that condition:( . The only thing I can do is just keep my fingers crossed that they will not develope it.

Jasmine
27-06-2009, 04:44 PM
My two previous cats were chocolate Burmese (brother and sister) - she had to be PTS at 11 but I had Leo until two weeks before his 18th birthday - they are fantastic affectionate cats.

I now have a 13 year old Burmese rescue cat - again very loveable - follows us round like a dog.

Kazz
27-06-2009, 06:17 PM
CRF is common in cats full stop I think........but maybe ahigher report rate in pedigree's just because they can break down the "pattern" to a greater extent. I hope you find the one you are looking for to complete the family Angie when will the lady phone you back?

With regard to talking cats my two spoke to each other...... there again that was when I was presentand maybe they were being polite and including me in the conversations..........:)

dandysmom
27-06-2009, 07:55 PM
CRF is something I now worry about with Maxi and Maisy Moo after reading that Maine Coons can be prone to that condition:( . The only thing I can do is just keep my fingers crossed that they will not develope it.

It's not an automatic death sentence as it was once; cats with it can live for more years now with advances in mediation and treatment, thank God!

angieh
27-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Not heard back from the Burmese rescue lady. Perhaps she's on holiday atm. I will phone again next week. I am quite keen on a Burmese.

Elaine
28-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes CRf has become common place but mostly in elderly cats and as part of the aging process but some pedigrees are more prone than others and often at a much younger age, such as siamese, burmese and maincoon, now this may have something to do with breeding, I am not sure.
Yes it is a risk you take with any cat and there are things you can do to help prevent such feed less dry foods as they make the kidneys work so much harder.
I think it is also a question of finding a good breeder that you can discuss these things with.