PDA

View Full Version : Baliero's weight

yola
19-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Balie's never been a big cat, his weight has fluctuated between 4 and 4.5 kilos over the last 12 years. However, even I was seriously concerned when the vet weighed him and he came in at 3.01Kg :shock:

He was thoroughly checked of and there is nothing obviously amiss so bloods have been taken and thyroid, liver, kidney and diabetes are going to be tested for. If this is inconlusive it'll be x-rays and ultrasounds next :shock:

I should hopefully have some results by later this afternoon as they test on the premises.

MrsH
19-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Hope there's nothing too serious going on with Balie, Yola. That's quite a big weight loss, although we have seen this in the past when our cats have got older without there being major underlying problems. It seemed it was just part of the aging process in the same way that older people often shrink a bit too. Fingers crossed the test results are good.

pookyandjo
19-06-2009, 11:04 AM
hope Balie passes his tests with flying colours Yola and its just a case of him moving into old age....i know that you've spoken about his weight loss over the last couple of months...hopefully these test will get to the bottom of it..always easier to deal with a problem if we know what the problem is!

Leesy
19-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Hope that Balie`s results don`t show up anything to sinister, and like MrsH and Pookyandjo have said it is just a case of getting older, give him a big (HUG) from us.

Mags
19-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Hoping the test results show nothing serious, Yola.......thinking of you.

shonedek
19-06-2009, 12:18 PM
hope all is ok,i had one do the very same and its so scary.

yola
19-06-2009, 01:16 PM
hope all is ok,i had one do the very same and its so scary.

Did you? What was the outcome shonedek?

The vet seemed to think there was more to it than just aging - when the vet says he's concerned you know there's probably a good reason for it! Still, until I know for sure I'm not going to get screwed up about it. We'll deal with whatever the outcome is as thankfully, he's insured!

shonedek
19-06-2009, 01:38 PM
i had a heap of tests done and everything came back clear.My vets put it down to his age in the end cos there was nothing else they could put ity down to. So with that in mind i fed him smaller portions but more oftern and put him on a really good dry food ,only thing is i have to fed him seperate from others which isnt easy in a house of 10 cats lol.Now 8mths later hes almost back to where he was.This is actually the second time he did it to me and was same time of year to.

Elaine
19-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Thinking of you and Bailie xxx

Moli
19-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Thoughts with you and Bailie...."Hug"s....xx

dandysmom
19-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Fingers crossed, Yola; hope the vet can sort it out. (((hugs)))

yola
19-06-2009, 05:18 PM
OK, so liver, kidney, thyroid and diabetes have all come back negative. However is white blood cell count is twice what it should be so the vet things there might be some infection in there somewhere; there's nothing obvious so I have 2 weeks' worth of antibiotic/anti-inflammatories for him to see if it helps. And a review after this.

Does anyone know what else might cause such a cell change? Is it an immunity thing?

Leesy
19-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Thats good news that the tests have come back negative, but I am not sure what would really cause the white blood cells to double, hopefully it is just something as simple as an infection that will clear up with the antibiotics and anti-inflammatories like the vet has said, did he not give any indication as to what else it could be:? :?

angieh
19-06-2009, 05:29 PM
How old is the dear chap Yola? Extra white cells certainly point to an infection - maybe the antib's will clear it up, but it is probably an old age thing. Merlin lost a lot of weight as he aged - the suggestion of smaller meals more often through the day is good if you can organise it. It does seem to be something associated with old age in cats, and they lose muscle condition and hence weight.

Please give the old darling a cuddle from me.

yola
19-06-2009, 05:38 PM
He's 12 years and 3 months. Not THAT old, but he is a persian and an in-bred one at that which I know causes health problems. I think it's the speed of the weight loss that has surprised the vet . . . feeding little and often is tricky as I'm either at work all day or ministering to the needs of the little sirs - and Balie doesn't like to be near them.

He has biscuits down and they have always free-fed. He has been dis-inclined to move periodically and I had a bout of bad toiletting with him because basically he couldn't be bothered to move from where he was sitting or lying :roll:

PoshPuss
21-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Sorry to hear that Balie has been poorly, Yola. A 2lb weight loss is a lot esp. coz persians are all fluff and very small boned under all the fuzz. The raised white cell count could be an immune response, try the antib's first but I'm sure the vet will keep a close eye. Yeah, its difficult to feed persians up, fussy creatures, Balie is lazy old boy too, so you'd think that he'd just lay down fat. As he's allowed to free feed not much else you can do, how about hand fed chicken ( when you got the chance ;) ) or some treats like cheese, high protein/ fat combo.

Keep us posted. Was the weight loss some thing you noticed or discovered at a routine visit? does it seem to be bothering him, more vocal etc. He's a placid chap normally.

calismum
21-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Hope the AB's sort out whatever it is. Is he the one of your cats that is usually on his own? If so would an automatic feeder be an option for a small tempting meal while you're out?

yola
22-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, my old boy's certainly come out of himself almost overnight!! Most evenings once Sebi's out the way he's been buzzing around,sitting on the table watching me eat and at times stealing my food :shock: :shock: :shock:

Apart from the cheese, cheese biscuits, taco shells and creme fraiche, he's eaten a whole chicken breast (handfed) last night and seems much, much more alert and positive. I just need to keep working on it - prawns tonight I think :D

PoshPuss
22-06-2009, 12:03 PM
THAT'S MA BOY!!!! :D

Glad to know he's perked up, and yep, a bit of spoiling won't do any harm ;) Nothing more pleasing than knowing that 'sir' is a satified customer :-D

Leesy
22-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Awwwwww bless him, I so hope he puts some weight on now and continues to eat well:D

angieh
22-06-2009, 02:38 PM
That's really good news Yola - it sounds as if he's feeling better. Onwards and upwards .............. prawns, yummy!

dandysmom
22-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Excellent news! May it continue.

Elaine
22-06-2009, 05:04 PM
So please he has perked up, long may it continue xxxx

farthing
22-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Just a thought, did the vet check his teeth?

yola
23-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Just a thought, did the vet check his teeth?

Yes, that was one of the first visual checks he did. Balie had a dental op about 15 months ago anyway to remove some bad teeth and have a descale so what is left is still in good condition.

pookyandjo
23-06-2009, 10:33 AM
glad he seems to be more interested in his food Yola... hopefully he will put on a little weight and maintain it... good boy Balie!!

angieh
27-06-2009, 04:31 PM
How is Balie coming along, Yola?

yola
27-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Well his spine is far less prominent now . . . we're feeding him chicken and prawns alongside standard biscuits/meat and he's improving no end!!

Will schedule a follow up vet appointment for next Saturday as his AB's will finish on Friday :D

angieh
27-06-2009, 09:17 PM
That's very good news - has he been venturing downstairs at all?

yola
27-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Oh yes. He's been much more accessible. As soon as Sebi (noise polution) is in bed, Balie's down the stairs and even out into the garden :D
Tonight he's been sat in the sitting room with us watching Glastonbury . . . I've always maintained he's a old hippy at heart . . . ;)

dandysmom
27-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh it does sound as if he's perking up nicely!

angieh
27-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Well done Balie, there's a good chap. Keep it up!

alexgirl73
27-06-2009, 11:17 PM
good boy, continue along these lines please :)

Leesy
28-06-2009, 09:40 PM
So glad to hear that Balie is coming along nicely and continuing to put more weight on, keep up the good work Balie :D

MadCatLady
30-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Glad to hear he's picking up... chicken is always the winner in my house however I also boil rice in stock cubes & mix that in with chopped chicken or boiled fish :p .... Bear if feeling poorly insists on cheese, preferably soft goats cheese which I have to dunk me finger in then let him lick it off, on demand of course! ;)

But a good stand by we use at the rescue is a good quality of kitten food, either wet or dry, which ever takes their fancy... I prefer Hills or Royal Canin.... never failed yet!!! :lol: And believe me some of the size zero cats that have been through our doors... :mad:

Also if you do find the A/b's aren't enough and they discover something amiss (fingers crossed not!) check out the types of food you can give to help them... follow this link to a website we use, and create an account (so long as you follow this link each time you will donate 1% of your total bill to our rescue centre too!! :D )

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=275

Check out the different types of food from Hills, Royal Canin etc..... hope it helps!!

yola
30-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the link! Balie does have senior RC wet as well as the Whiskas but the RC tends to have the gravy licked off it and is then left to dry out. I never thought about the kitten food - might be an idea to try that to build him up.

Elaine
30-06-2009, 01:01 PM
The RC Sensible is good for bulking cats up a bit too.

MadCatLady
01-07-2009, 12:14 AM
No probs Yola!

And good luck! Pass the link on to anyone who it may help and as I said so long as you use the link each time you will save money & Castaways Animal Rescue will get that 1% commission so every ones a winner!!!! :-D

I order the 10kg bag of Hills C/d once a month for The Feline Tribe and as the total is over £30 it's free P&P and I save nearly £33 pounds on the price the vet quoted me!!! :shock:

Good luck!!

yola
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Balie was weighed this morning and his weight has gone up to 3.32KG which, as the vet says is a large increase for 2 weeks :D :D :D

So I have a further 2 weeks' worth of antibiotics for him to see if the improvement continues. Vet can't yet say whether the infection is just that alone or a result of something underlying - although he again gave him a good going over and couldn't find anything of concern. We shall just have to monitor him and his weight in the coming months.

pookyandjo
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Thats great news Yola...is he happier in himself? hope he continues to be a good boy and build himself back up

angieh
04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
That's very good news Yola. Well done Balie - good boy!

dandysmom
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear about the weight gain! Good boy, Bailie!

MadCatLady
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Great News!!! Paws & fingers crossed for you both!!!

Leesy
06-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Great news Yola to hear that Balie`s weight is increasing, I am so pleased to hjear that:D

Gumby Cat
06-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I do hpe Bailie continues to put on weight Yola, it's such a worry when something like that happens, isn't it?

Thanks for the link MCL. Solomon is on Hills i/d biscuits and they are certainly cheaper online for a 2kg bag which - unfortunately - I've just re-ordered from the vet! Do you know how much p & p is for the smaller bags?

Moli
06-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Good to hear he is putting on weight.........

Mags
06-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Good news he's starting to gain weight, Yola...

yola
07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks all. Will update in 2 weeks' time after his next vet visit but all's going well at the moment.

I have also switched biscuits from the RC Oral which are large, squarish biscuits to the smaller, oval Persian formula and Balie seems to be managing these much more easily. Maybe the Oral were just too big and awkward for him to eat?

dinahsmum
07-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Good boy!
It's quite something to gain weight in the summer when appetites seem to naturally fall - well done; a good report!