PDA

View Full Version : overfeeding?

TraceyRisebrow
12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Is it possible to overfeed a kitten, Mazey is so tiny but she seems to have a never ending appetite, she eats her food then she will finish off whatever is in Tommys bowl before going back to her bowl and licking the dregs up.

She makes me feel so guilty I usually give her some more food which she eats too! I am not used to this, all my cats previously have never cleared their bowls completely.

I know she is a growing girl and very tiny for her age but I do not see how her stomach can hold so much!

This evening for example she had her tin of kitten food, then she polished off Tommys half tin of whiskas as he did not come in for tea.

I just want to make sure I will not make her ill, she has just been wormed so I know that is not a problem.

yola
12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm - yes she could be hungry but at the same time being young she maybe hasn't got control over when she's full. I would speak to a vet because the last thing you want is for her to be overweight from a young age as feling obesity is very difficult to manage later on.

angieh
12-06-2009, 10:55 PM
How often are you feeding her each day Tracey?

TraceyRisebrow
13-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I am feeding her twice a day at the moment, although having read some posts further back in this forum it seems i should be feeding her 4 times a day? The kitten food pack says she should be fed twice a day which is what I did, maybe increasing it to 4 times would help?

Now I really do feel like I have been starving her!

dandysmom
13-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Little and often is a good rule for kittens.

angieh
13-06-2009, 04:46 PM
You might find 4 smaller meals better for her.

Moli
13-06-2009, 04:53 PM
When I have foster kittens I always put a dish of kitten biscuits down all the time for them to graze on, and give them 3 pouches a day as well...

TraceyRisebrow
14-06-2009, 07:43 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

calismum
14-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I would put her on 4 meals and free access to dry food and water.

She will probably not be quite so starving then.