PDA

View Full Version : update on the ferrets

Tink
10-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Well, I just thought I'd do a mini update.
Lainey is playing again today (woo hoo!). What's funny is I've had a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes too, I wonder if we were having the same allergy? Anyhow, it's so nice to see her play again!
She's starting to really open up to me now. At first she was more of a ferret's ferret but now it's like she wants to be next to her weasel mama (me!) too. She doesn't bite me anymore. Only if it's someone she's not familiar with and she's nervous (like the vet!) or if you get a squeeky toy out she turns into a wild protective weasel mama saving a kit and it's not pretty...but it is nice to use it to bring her out of hiding and then give her a treat. She is also being very maternal toward Annie. If Annie screams loudly (which she does often because she's deaf...ever hear two deaf ferrets play? it's loud!) she will rush over and scruff whoever is playing with her and causing her to scream. Also, I have a routine of when I move them to another room I give them a treat. Well, Annie is only allowed in the weasel room and not my bedroom yet because she's not potty trained and I don't trust her to come to me from beneath the bed yet. So part of the day the elders are seperated from her in my bedroom..and that's when me and Annie have quality mama and baby time. So at night when I bring the elders back in their room, Lainey does not want her treat until she knows the baby is okay. She will stand at the door of the cage until I open it..go over and check Annie out and only after a few minutes of this will she go and enjoy her treat. It's really sweet.
Baby Bear's energy level has gone up since I've been doing the Epakitin twice daily for his kidney values. Tomorrow is his appointment for a recheck, I really hope the bloodwork comes back with good news and we don't have to do any further action besides giving him this supplement for now.
Monkey is still a very good mama's boy. He is also the most gentle playmate to Annie. I think about how the shelter deemed him an only ferret that could not get along with others and just can't believe it because he has taken any newcomers under his wing from the start with no aggression. He is my most behaved one and just more than you could ever ask for in a weasel.
Annie is a typical kit. She gets her distemper booster tomorrow. Honestly I'm a little nervous because she is so similar to Baby Bear (both Canadian, similar faces, both Waardenburgs) and he went into such a severe anaphylactic shock I hope there's no connection in genetics. It is probably just me worrying to death like usual but I am just so traumatized after that happened I hold my breath now every time someone is vaccinated and I'm nervous because she's such a wee mite.
She's so full of spunk and eats so much, I am paying her a lot of attention because I feel like I will blink and she will be an adult and I will hardly remember what it was like to have that small little baby. Also actively trying to play with her while being consistent with nip training..her bites don't hurt now but I know they will soon enough and I have to remind myself to not send her mixed messages, it's easy to forget cuz she's so stinkin cute, LOL.
I've got to say I'm now in the belief four is a perfect number. It is so fun to watch them ricochet off each other and how no one is ever left out of play. I think a kit in the house brings youth to all, everyone is dooking and dancing more and sleeping less.
I'm tired but happy.

dandysmom
11-06-2009, 02:15 AM
That was so nice to get an update on how all the ferrets are doing, Tink; what a lovely group they seem to be. And they certainly were wrong about Monkey. Do let us know how Annie does with the distemper shot tomorrow.
And how are the cats... Kuan Yin behaving after her disappeairng act? And how are Hestia and Cuddles?

Tink
11-06-2009, 02:40 AM
Kuan Yin becomes more of a character on a daily basis:-D She is extremely excited for the remodeling in the garage. She has two large windows she can stare out of that shows the whole driveway/street/front of the house (a view she's never had before). K made sure to block that hole leading to the rafters after her adventure and she loves to sit on top of the new tank luxuriously and look down at her slaves:lol: . She is still convinced she's a dog, if you say "good kitty" she won't acknowledge you but if you say "good dog, kuan yin" she will purr and make the question mark with her tail:lol:
Hestia is becoming more extroverted. She is starting to roam the house more and loves to also frequent the garage/new fish room during the day. She's also taken to sitting with me on the couch and watching television with me. Her and Kuan Yin have a system. When one is sleeping, the other accompanies me to do my chores and vice versa. I apparently must always be supervised:D
Cuddles is doing well, a bit like a cranky old lady who is going to tell you exactly what is on her mind. When you make eye contact, at once she is going on and on about her views on the world and will continue even for a bit after you have walked away. Loving as ever. Has also been indulged with water from the tuna fish cans a lot lately since I've been on a tuna salad fix (that and egg salad just make nice summer meals).

dandysmom
11-06-2009, 02:55 AM
How nice, if a bit wearing, to have two supervisors always with you! At least they're not carrying clipboards! :-D Love the Cuddles story: she reminds me of the old preacher who told his flock what he was gong to tell them, then told them, then told them what he'd told them... :roll:

Give all three a cuddle from me.

angieh
11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the lovely descriptive update Tink! I think I'll remember that Lainey was "a ferret's ferret"! for a while now - just like the phrase. Glad everyone is doing well.

Tink
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
How nice, if a bit wearing, to have two supervisors always with you! At least they're not carrying clipboards! :-D Love the Cuddles story: she reminds me of the old preacher who told his flock what he was gong to tell them, then told them, then told them what he'd told them... :roll:
Give all three a cuddle from me.

that is exactly right!:lol:

Tink
11-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the lovely descriptive update Tink! I think I'll remember that Lainey was "a ferret's ferret"! for a while now - just like the phrase. Glad everyone is doing well.

:lol: i kind of like it too:-D