PDA

View Full Version : Would my disabled kitten benefit from having a companion?

moonstone
10-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a little disabled girl:D her name is Henrietta and she is black/white :D she has Hip Dysplasia but is mobile and can use her litter tray all by her little self:D although i have her two sisters (who are normal) she still spends time on her own:( she can manage the stairs but prefers to stay upstairs :D i spend lots of time with her but still feel that she lacks company:(
I was thinking of offering a home to another "special needs" kitty to be with her:D
I know she may not like this but it would be nice for her to have a companion as her sisters tend to play together leaving her out of their games:( they also go out into the garden during the day:D
Would apprieciate some input on this:D has anyone else got a kitty with this disablitiy?

Moli
10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Random has little Princess who has a disability, she would be able to advise you...:)

random
10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Hi there, welcome to the forum! How old is your cat?

My Princess has spina bifida, she gets around fine but like your little girl, she likes to spend time on her own, I currently have 5 other cats and have had more than 6 in the house together before now, yet she still wanted to be on her own. She has a pal of the others, my wee siamese, they usually share the same bed but Princess has never been big on playing games or anything. Some cats just don't, it may just be her personality and nothing to do with her disability, although it may be playing a part. If she isn't interested in your other cats then I doubt she'd be interested in another just because it also had a disability, she wouldn't know the difference. It may also actually be better for her that she isn't racing around like a loony with her hips.

However, if you can offer another disabled kitty a good home, then it wouldn't hurt to have a look, I wouldn't get another solely for the purpose of being your other cat's pal but if you would like to help one out regardless then that can only be a good thing, I just wouldn't expect too much from her, she's likely to just be a quieter natured cat and is just fine as she is.

Kim
10-06-2009, 11:07 PM
HI, I have a cat with a disability, he shares our home with our 3 non-disabled cats and our 3 dogs. he is very happy, loves human company and is very affectionate. I personally don't think he needs another disabled cat for company, but if you can offer a home to another needy cat then why not!

moonstone
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for all your replies...It,s certainly given me something to think about.
I just worry so much about her..she is a little angel and has coped with her disablitity so well.
She will be going to my vet for surgery in a few months which should have her walking again...she is a quiet little girl but she loves to play and watch the birds flying past.
Several of my neighbour,s cats pop in and she is O.K. with them..her sister,s wash her and she trys to join in their games but obviously she can,t keep up as they tear around like loonies LOL!

Elaine
11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh less her cotton socks, she sounds delightful. Hope the op goes well for her too.
Cannt add anything to what Random and Kim have said but would like to wish you all well what ever you decide.

angieh
11-06-2009, 05:33 PM
All best of luck, vibes and good wishes for Henrietta's surgery. We would love to be told how things go. Bless her.

Phoenix
11-06-2009, 07:22 PM
All the best for Henrieta's surgery! Let us know how she is! :-D :D ;)

dandysmom
11-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I echo the above. hope it goes well for her and she can join her sisters in their games.