PDA

View Full Version : Maisey Question 1

kado
09-06-2009, 05:25 PM
With us deciding to keep the little angel i have a couple of questions.
The only female we had was Kay and she never called. We think she had kittens but i thought she would call straight away so could she be pregnant earler stages. I am getting her speyed either next wk or the week after as i dont want kittens and it isnt fair on her. Will they still do it if she is pregnant ?

angieh
09-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry Jane, I don't know. Did you not ask the vet when you took her in?

kado
09-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I just completley forgot. I had a blonde moment as my daughter says

pinklizzy
09-06-2009, 06:27 PM
They may still spay her if she is very early pregnant, although it is sometimes neccessary to approach through the midline rather than the usual flank incision as the uterus will be enlarged. The best thing to do is to let the vets know you are concerned she may be pregnant when you leave her to be spayed. They may be able to palpate a pregnancy or even do a quick ultrasound (although it's not always easy to see of it's very early) In most cases we would contact the owner before going ahead and carrying out the spay although as I said we would still do it during the early stages.
HTH and can't wait to see some pics of her!

smudgley
09-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Most vets will spay a pregnant cat, even quite late in pregnancy, although as PL said - usually they will go in
mid-line.

dandysmom
09-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Most vets here in the States will do it in the early stages.

kado
10-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Realy pleased to know, will she be alright with it if she pregnant or will it hurt her more, Was going to take some pics but have had some realy bad news tonight

dandysmom
10-06-2009, 01:48 AM
No, the spaying won't be more painful so far as I know. Kado; PL should be able to reassure you better, of course. Sorry you've had bad news.......

pinklizzy
10-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Sorry you've had some bad news Kado, hope everything is ok.. As far as spaying goes it shouldn't be any more painful whether Maisey is pregnant or not, it's just a different surgical approach. Imogen was spayed the other week and she was done midline (although she wasn't pregnant) and her recovery was just the same as if she had been done via the flank. Infact some vets feel that this way is the least painful, although there is no concrete research to back this up.

dandysmom
10-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Both Misty and Leia were spayed mid line; quick easy recovery for both.