PDA

View Full Version : Excessive licking

Phoenix
08-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Dylan's been licking one paw really excessively since about half past three this morning. I've looked at it and it doesn't appear to be hurting him and I can't find anything obviously wrong (I can't do anything at the moment - at college)

He licks it, then he'll go for a wander for about 5 seconds then he'll start licking it excessively again. I've handled his leg and he just looks curiously at my hand while I'm touching his leg. Any ideas please what may be causing it? If he hasn't stopped licking it by the time I get back home I'll be phoning the vet.

angieh
08-06-2009, 12:50 PM
It's a mystery but there's obviously something up with his paw. Can you look in between his pads? He could have a grass seed or something of that nature there.

Phoenix
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
It's a mystery but there's obviously something up with his paw. Can you look in between his pads? He could have a grass seed or something of that nature there.

I checked his paw before I came out to college and I couldn't see anything (I'll be having another look when I get back and like I said if he's still licking it then I'll take him to the vet)

dandysmom
08-06-2009, 04:51 PM
That's worrying. Do let us know what happens. Other than the grass seed Angie suggested I have no idea what could be causing it.

calismum
08-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Possibly stung or stood on nettle, thistle etc?

Other thing is that he may just be licking it now because it is wet and doesn't feel right to him. Hope he is ok.

Phoenix
09-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Update:

Checked his paw again yesterday evening, between two of his toes looked a little red as though there had been a small stone / grass seed / something else in there. It looed to have cleared (whatever it was) and Dylan wasn't licking it excessively any more :-D

He was still licking a little, but that was normal grooming. :-D

dandysmom
09-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Glad to her it seems to be OK now.

angieh
09-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear that whatever it was has gone. Probably Dylan's licking got rid of it.