PDA

View Full Version : What a scare, Corrie had a fit.

farthing
07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Mike put the dogs out this morning and I heard him shout on me from outside. I knew something must be wrong and went running out and Corrie, our border collie, was just coming out of a fit. Its the first time he's ever done that and he is now 3. I called the vet, but pretty much knew they would say just monitor him. I know collies can be prone to fitting, but I really hope this is a one off. Does anybody have any idea how likely this is likely to be, our is it more likely he will continue to have this problem.:(

pinklizzy
07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh dear, sorry to hear this! I know that fitting can be very distressing.I'm sure you know all this but are you able to record the type of seizure activity experienced-any evidence of tonic-clonic activity, where the limbs become rigid then will spasm? Or generalised tremors? The length of time he was unconscious, any loss of bladder control etc. Some dogs will just have a one-off seizure without ever experiencing any more but it's likely to be a case of waiting to see if it happens again.
My little dog Kindly fits but hers are related to her severe heart condition rather than epilepsy. We still record everything that occurs each time however.
I hope this is a one-off for Corrie, sending hugs to you as I know just how hard it can be.

niki71uk
07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes Collies Are Prone To Fitting,my Friend Has A Rescue Who Unfortunately Developed Diabetes,coz Of Poor Diet By Previous Owners,she Took Her First Fit Bout 3 Mnths Ago.she's About 7/8 Yrs Old

dinahsmum
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh poor you.
The only fitting I have experience of is my old staffie at the end of her life so I don't think it will be very relevant.
Hope this might be a one-off for you

dandysmom
07-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this; so distressing for you. Hope it won't recur .......

random
07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Corrie, are you a member on Dogsey? There are a few members on there who's dog have had fits and would be able to advise you. Best of luck with him. x

angieh
07-06-2009, 08:36 PM
That's very distressing farthing. Do hope it doesn't happen again. I had no idea border collies were prone and just wouldn't expect such a thing to happen to a young animal.

calismum
07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
It is very distressing. BC's do have a tendency to fit. We have had two. Both onset as adults, no sign as pups.

Agree with all above in terms of monitoring, noting what happens.

Ours were v different. One really only fitted if she was out on the hill doing long drives on a hot day. We were so worried we'd not notice and lose her we only use her at home for easy work. As long as she doesn't over exert herself she's ok.

The other tended to be early morning and we never found out what caused it. SOmeone suggested that she may not be drinking enough and it happened when she was dehydrated. We tried to encourage her to drink more etc. She never fitted after age 9. So may have grown out of it?

Hope for you it is a one of.