PDA

View Full Version : Surprising birds at risk.

farthing
05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
We have a big flock of starlings who have taken up residence in the conifers at the side of the house, we also have a colony of house sparrows who nest in the berberis outside the living room window. I've just had a look on the RSPB bird list and both of them are red listed, this means that there has been a rapid decilne in the british population over the last 25 years- there are less than 10,000 pairs left.
We also get skylarks in the field and yellowhammers, in the chicken run stealing food, and they are also on the red list.
I think that is really scary, as a kid they were everywhere, and now they are at risk!

Leesy
05-06-2009, 05:57 PM
It is very scary as there are more and more birds being added to the red list every year it seems:(

dandysmom
05-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Scary indeed. We're overdeveloping the land, poisoning it with pesticides and herbicides, and then wonder why the birds are becoming rarer and rarer. The same with butterflies: we used to see dozens of different ones when I was a child, now all you see mostly are cabbage whites and a few monarchs and skippers.