PDA

View Full Version : Alfie has a smelly bottom!

Cool Cat Emma
03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I know I can not expect my 6.5 month kitten to smell of roses but his smelly bottom is something of a concern to me! :( I had a quick look :shock: and everything appears to look normal.:) He has not long been castrated if that is any thing to go by. I'm more used to having female cats in the past and wonder if this makes a difference as they weren't quite as bad as Alfie who seems to be getting a reputation for this problem:cat2 . It wouldn't normally bother me but it it is quite a strong smell at the moment and I am wondering if it may indicate there is some health issue? Any one out there with some advice apart from a nose peg!!!!:lol:

angieh
03-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Could it be a problem with his anal glands?

Or does he have a dirty bottom? or is it a "windy" problem??

Cool Cat Emma
03-06-2009, 09:53 PM
It looks clean and there is no wind, so I'm not sure what it is!

Moli
03-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Could it just be he has matured and is smelling like an uneutered Tom Cat???

yola
03-06-2009, 10:23 PM
You say he's been neutered?? I would hazard a guess at blocked anal glands. There's usually nothing to see but the pong is legendary. Can you get Alfie along to a vet for a look-see?

angieh
03-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Yup it's got to be the anal glands - is he constipated?

There was a good link posted earlier today - I'll see if I can find the website.

Here (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=509) it is!

dandysmom
03-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Sounds like anal glands to me too. Off to the vet to get them expressed!

Leesy
04-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Sounds like anal glands to me too, my brothers dog has problems with his glands as well and you can really tell when they are blocked again and need expressing as the smell is awful:shock: :shock: .

dinahsmum
04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
I'd go for the anal gland theory too. It's nothing like as common in cats as it is in dogs but it is smellier!
We've only had problems once, in decades of cat ownership, but I still recall the smell in the surgery as the vet expressed (emptied out) the glands. You know it's bad when a vet says "Hold him tight or put him back in the basket - I have to open the window!" :shock:
Maybe Alfie could do with a little more roughage in his food - so that the glands empty easily and gradually as he poops. Try the tiniest bit of bran mixed with wet food or you can get some good cat food which has pumpkin and which works well. It may be Applaws - someone else will remind me.
Anyway - after all that, it sounds like a trip to the vet - sorry! - to deal with the immediate problem and then perhaps a little change in diet. Oh - that reminds me. If he's eating a lot of dry food it could well be that this hot weather plus a dry diet has set this off. Find some way of sneaking more liquid (water is best) into him if he's a reluctant drinker.

dandysmom
04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I'd go for the anal gland theory too. It's nothing like as common in cats as it is in dogs but it is smellier!
We've only had problems once, in decades of cat ownership, but I still recall the smell in the surgery as the vet expressed (emptied out) the glands. You know it's bad when a vet says "Hold him tight or put him back in the basket - I have to open the window!" :shock:
Maybe Alfie could do with a little more roughage in his food - so that the glands empty easily and gradually as he poops. Try the tiniest bit of bran mixed with wet food or you can get some good cat food which has pumpkin and which works well. It may be Applaws - someone else will remind me.
Anyway - after all that, it sounds like a trip to the vet - sorry! - to deal with the immediate problem and then perhaps a little change in diet. Oh - that reminds me. If he's eating a lot of dry food it could well be that this hot weather plus a dry diet has set this off. Find some way of sneaking more liquid (water is best) into him if he's a reluctant drinker.

If he eats wet, try adding a small amount of warm water to it; makes more "gravy" ...works well for me.

MadCatLady
03-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Anal Glands.....nice!!! :smt009

However how smelly is smelly?

Bewilbured - the slightly less fortunate cousin of Porter De Purr often gets a bit whiffy when excited or nervous but otherwise is fine.... :?

If it's only occassional it's not a problem but a permanent stink will probably mean they are blocked & need a vets help!?? :roll:

Sorry!

PS Practice holding your breath before you go to vets.... had to take a rescue in for it once and.... well I always considered I had quite a strong constitution but OMG!!! :twisted: