PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Quotes

Phoenix
03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
What are your favourite quotes from the movies?

Here are my favourites:

Lord of the Rings:

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

Frodo: It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

E.T:

Elliot: You could be happy here, I could take care of you. I wouldn't let anybody hurt you. We could grow up together, E.T.

farthing
04-06-2009, 09:56 PM
The couple of film lines we always quote are-
'Nobody's tough as Jack', from the Mask of Zorro, which we sing to our goat Jack, as he is a woose.
and
'Resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated', from First Contact, Star Treck, which we say to Levi the lab as he tries to clamber on your knee.

dandysmom
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
An oldie but goodie: Scarlett in Gone With The Wind:

"I'll think about that tomorrow"

Phoenix
05-06-2009, 04:27 PM
These are really good quotes from Homeward Bound 1:

Fat Guy: Here, kitty kitty kitty kitty.
Sassy: "Here, kitty kitty kitty." Not on your life, chubby.
Fat Guy: Here, kitty kitty. Here, kitty. Here, kitty kitty kitty.
Sassy: No, dummy dummy dummy dummy.

Shadow: You've learned all you need to know, Chance. Now all you need to learn is how to say goodbye.
Chance: But I want you with me! I love you, Shadow!

Shadow: [after Sassy is lost in the river] I shouldn't have made her come.
Chance: It's not your fault, she wanted to come.
Shadow: But it's my responsibility. I had a responsibility to Sassy - to love her and protect her - the same as I have to you... and to Peter. And the same as you have to Jamie.
Chance: But we didn't ask for this job.
Shadow: We didn't have to. It's built in. Has been ever since the dawn of time... when a few wild dogs took it upon themselves to watch over man, to bark when he's in danger, to run and play with him when he's happy, to nuzzle him when he's lonely. That's why they call us man's best friend.
Chance: [narrating] Looking at him that night, he seemed so wise... and ancient, like the first dog who ever walked the earth. I just hope that one day, I can be like him.

Phoenix
05-06-2009, 08:03 PM
More quotes from Homeward Bound:

Chance "No don't lie down! Don't lie down!"
Shadow "Sorry I just cant make it"
"Chance "Why not? Of course you can make it!"
Sassie "Try, Shadow! Please try!"

Chance "Look, you pushed me this far now I'm pushing you the rest of the way. Back there in the woods even when things were really bad I always thought we were going to make it because you were too subborn to quit. And we're not going to give up, not now, not when we're this close. Now try again!"
Shadow "Do you think it's easy for me to admit I can't do it? I'm too old!"
Chance "That's not true! There's nothing you can't do!"

angieh
05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Don't know how you remember such long quotes from films!

The only one I ever remember was from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Indy: "It's not the years, it's the mileage."

Phoenix
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't know how you remember such long quotes from films!

The only one I ever remember was from Raiders of the Lost Ark:

Indy: "It's not the years, it's the mileage."

I don't remember, I look it up on the internet ;)

PoshPuss
06-06-2009, 02:10 PM
mine is from Casablanca,

Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa): You're saying this only to make me go.
Humphrey Bogart (Rick): I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa): But what about us?
Humphrey Bogart (Rick): We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa): When I said I would never leave you.
Humphrey Bogart (Rick): And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid.

Phoenix
26-06-2009, 07:24 PM
From the end of Homeward Bound:

"It was Shadow's victory really. His belief was the thing that got us through, and in that moment I saw the years lift from him. He was a puppy again, reunited with his best friend"

janey83
27-06-2009, 01:58 PM
From the end of Homeward Bound:

"It was Shadow's victory really. His belief was the thing that got us through, and in that moment I saw the years lift from him. He was a puppy again, reunited with his best friend"

Sooooo sad, I cant watch that film coz I end up in floods of tears.

Tink
27-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Mine is from Scarface. I'm too lazy to look up exact wording but it's something like...

"You need people like me so you can point your #@%#$% fingers and say 'That's the bad guy'. What's that make you....good??"

calismum
27-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Couple that I like

Dirty Dancing
Johnny: "there are people willing to stand up for other people no matter what it costs them."

Johnny: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner,"

Pretty Woman
Vivian: Can I call you Eddie?
Edward: Not if you expect me to answer.

Old Lady at Opera: Did you like the opera, dear?
Vivian: It was so good, I almost peed my pants!
Edward: She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.

Shawshank Redemption
Red: Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

....and 2 of my dad's favourites from Moby Dick
- when we asked 'but why?' -
Captain Ahab: I don't give reasons. I give orders!

and if we asked something daft -
Pip: That ain't no whale; that a great white god.