PDA

View Full Version : chicken needing rescuing

tilly
01-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi I know some people have chickens so I hope it is ok to post the below ad that was on gumtree as they are trying to rescue some organic chicken that lay eggs before the a slaughtered. Encase anyone has any space.

http://miltonkeynes.gumtree.com/miltonkeynes/21/39693421.html

1,500 Free range organic chickens are looking for a home. They are White Star hybrids, good layers and fairly friendly. They need to find a home in the next few weeks or will be sent to slaughter, which is such a waste of this dear lives.
We are asking £3 per hen to help recover costs, and obviously the farmer will not give them away if he can make money by selling them for meat.
Fantastic garden pets!
I am collecting this week, so can arrange to pick yours up too and deliver/arrange collection from MK.
Please email if you can help

yola
01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't have space in the garden (tiny townhouse paved area) :( Can't keep fowl at the allotment (already checked on that one) :(
Have a bird phobia :(

I would really, really love to keep chicken and it breaks my heart that they are so mistreated and considered as a comodity rather than a living, breathing animal but unfortunately I'm not in a position to help. Hopefully someone else can . . .

angieh
01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Good luck to you Tilly and to Gumtree in finding homes for all those birds. At least they have been free range and organically reared.

dandysmom
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Hope someone can help, Tilly'. I'd love them but am on the other side of the Pond and not allowed to keep chickens in the City anyway! Good luck!

tilly
02-06-2009, 12:08 AM
HI I am unfortunately not the one helping them out I just thought it might help to spread the word. I don't have the room here.

Tilly

calismum
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Don't have space in the garden (tiny townhouse paved area) :( Can't keep fowl at the allotment (already checked on that one) :(
Have a bird phobia :(

I would really, really love to keep chicken and it breaks my heart that they are so mistreated and considered as a comodity rather than a living, breathing animal but unfortunately I'm not in a position to help. Hopefully someone else can . . .

Yola - if thet reason you can't is due to local law and you really wanted to keep chooks then this (from chicken forum) may help.

Any Act of Parliament will override all other sources of law apart from European Directives.

and therefore:

The Allotment Act 1950 does allow anyone to keep chooks on any land, so long as they're not a nuisance or a threat to health, irrespective.