PDA

View Full Version : Parents cat stuck up tree

Autumn
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice and good luck thoughts as we've never had a cat stuck up a tree before, she's wandered up into the forest about a mile from my parents house and is about 40 feet up a tree. My parents are elderly so they cannot try to climb the tree and even if they could they do not have tall enough ladders. They have phoned the RSPCA when they found her on Sunday morning, they have been to see where she is and are hoping to come back this afternoon and attempt a rescue with ladders. The cat has been up there since Friday, some point after breakfast so we're all really worried as she's had no water in this heat, poor cat. She has stopped meowing now and is obviously very scared, my parents have tried calling her and tempting her down with food but she's not moved.

I've just got fingers crossed the RSPCA can do something and get her down safely. x

angieh
01-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Loads of good vibes and hopes for a successful rescue. Poor cat - she may have been able to get moisture at night from the tree, but poor thing - since Friday. Please let us know the outcome.

dinahsmum
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Is there any way you could get ice cubes up to her - in a fruit picking tool etc.
I hope the rspca can do something. Is there someone else you can contact? Is it Forestry Commission land? - they would have equipment etc and would probably be happy to help for good publicity.
I know it's a cliché but have you contacted the fire brigade? They need to do 'stuff' and keep in practice. they might help too.
I had a cat stuck up a tree, in warm weather, for several days & nights. She was fine - hope this one is too.

yola
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
How very worrying for all concerned. I do hope the RSPCA are able to help coax kitty down and that there are no lasting side-effects to her escapade. Here's wishing she gets down safely.

Autumn
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
The RSPCA said they will contact the fire brigade if they are unsuccessful in getting her down. They have tried contacting local tree surgeons but no luck so all hopes rest with the RSPCA at the moment. My parents live in very rural wales so it's difficult for them to borrow any equipment that would help in getting her down as they have no near neighbours. My Dad has been in touch with the forestry commission s the land is gated and padlocked so access will be required for the fire engine if it comes to that. I'm hoping the RSPCA succeed today as it's very worrying in this heat. I'll keep you informed as and when I hear.

x

Moli
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Hope she is rescued soon...

jan
01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Any news Amber? Jx

jan
01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
My apologies - senile dementia setting in early -any news Autumn? Jx

dandysmom
01-06-2009, 09:54 PM
How awful for your parents, Autumn; hope there's been some action since you last posted. Fingers crossed for a happy ending.....

Autumn
02-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi sorry, for the delay, I didn't have computer access till back in work this morning. Well the RSPCA came out last night and climbed the tree, they tried to grap her with the noose on pole but she fell, luckily she landed ok that's what they say about cats though isn't it! She's a bit stiff and very sunburnt (white cat). My parents are taking her to the vet today to have her checked over. x

yola
02-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh I'm glad she's down . . phew. Hopefully there's no damage other than (now) a healthy respect for trees and not to climb too high!

dinahsmum
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Good news!
Let's hope that's her wanderlust assuaged and she will be content to sleep in the shade

MrsH
02-06-2009, 11:49 AM
So pleased she's safe now, she must have been so frightened poor thing. Hope the check-up shows nothing amiss.

angieh
02-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Hope the check up is OK. Poor love.

dandysmom
02-06-2009, 04:27 PM
So glad she's down safely; hope the checkup goes well. What a dreadful experience for her and your family.