PDA

View Full Version : Valerian and cats

dandysmom
31-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I was intrigued by MadCatLady's comments on valerian, and wanted more info....here's an interesting link, IMO. And yes, have ordered some valerian infused yarn balls for the Princess, who doesn't react to catnip.

http://www.catniptoys.com/valerian_faq.htm

MadCatLady
31-05-2009, 10:48 PM
HaHa!!!:lol:
:p Be prepared she may go mental!!!!!;)

jan
01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I must have missed the original post but I had some valerian tea bags a few years ago and left the mug brewing on the side (it was foul by the way lol) and then I heard a crash and the mug was on the floor, valerian tea everywhere and Max looking very guilty on the work surface. Never thought anything of it til the next nyt and I again left a mug brewing, turned round to find Max rubbing up in exctasy against the mug (hence it having fallen the nyt before) and then I wafted a tea bag in front of all my four cats - they all went mental,rubbing up, delirious even. The empty box was put on the floor and at least two cats at a time were rubbing themselves all over the floor smelling the box! Never did buy any more tea bags, but catnip does nothing for them, let me know how you get on with your toys! Jx;)

dandysmom
01-06-2009, 10:44 PM
That's very interesting, Jan, thanks for posting. I'm really curious to see how Leia will react; will definitely post!

Here's the link to MCL's post:

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=11944&page=7

angieh
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
That's very interesting Eileen - and thanks for posting the original link as I had missed that too.

Look forward to hearing what Leia thinks about Valerian.

dandysmom
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Angie, have you plucked any catnip from the hanging basket yet for Kizzy?

pookyandjo
02-06-2009, 05:45 AM
I was intrigued by MadCatLady's comments on valerian, and wanted more info....here's an interesting link, IMO. And yes, have ordered some valerian infused yarn balls for the Princess, who doesn't react to catnip.

http://www.catniptoys.com/valerian_faq.htm

this is an interesting link..... what i find amazing is the analogy between the smell of valerian as percieved by humans... "it smells a bit like smelly socks"

George isn't the slightest bit interested in catnip.... but give him some smelly shoes... and he'goes off the planet!!

no one in our family suffers with smelly feet but that doesn't stop george rubbing his face against our bare feet when ever he has the chance...more so after our feet have been in shoes... but then again i suppose their sense of smell is so much more acute than ours is...i will have to see what i can find out about valerian here.. but i have to say that ive not seen it anything purporting to be a substitute for catnip... and i have looked due to George and Tinky not taking an interest..i haven't tried Harri as ive read that kittens often dont react anyway

dinahsmum
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I'd vever heard of valerian having a 'catnip effect' on cats either.
I'm not sure what kind of valerian it is - not the one which I have growing in my hanging basket anyway. That is a trailing plant, which grey-green vaguely nettle like small leaves and which comes in various colours and white.

Scullcap and valerian tablets proved quite calming for Ches a while back, after his first brief fright/disappearance.

dandysmom
02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
DM, I too wondered if the garden valerian was different from the medicinal one; did a search and it seems they are one and the same. I found this link interesting...

http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbValerian.htm

pinklizzy
02-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I got a valerian cat toy for Imogen at the cat show last year, it really does smell bad! She was fairly interested in it but nowhere near as much as she loves her catnip mice.

MadCatLady
07-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello!!!
Warning - don't let the dried root get in contact with the cat as poisonous!! :shock:
Valerian that is... now catnip... All those who have tried Catnip there is a vast difference in types of catnip! Teabags are good as is dried, good quality catnip, Koogarama (in a green pump action spray btl) is not very good, Johnsons are better but still I have found sprays weaker than the other!!

As I have mentioned before RigbyBigBear doesn't respond to ANY catnip but loves his Valerian...personally I think it smells more like cat wee but each to their own hey!!?:twisted:

dandysmom
07-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Has anyone tried drying her own catnip?

dandysmom
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Hello!!!
Warning - don't let the dried root get in contact with the cat as poisonous!! :shock:
Valerian that is... now catnip... All those who have tried Catnip there is a vast difference in types of catnip! Teabags are good as is dried, good quality catnip, Koogarama (in a green pump action spray btl) is not very good, Johnsons are better but still I have found sprays weaker than the other!!

As I have mentioned before RigbyBigBear doesn't respond to ANY catnip but loves his Valerian...personally I think it smells more like cat wee but each to their own hey!!?:twisted:

Don't know if you saw my thread about Leia and the valerian , MCL ...... she was as unresponsive to it as to catnip... :(

MadCatLady
07-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Did you try different sorts of catnip DM?;)

dandysmom
07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Did you try different sorts of catnip DM?;)

Yes, I've tried the pricy ones at Petsmart, as well as the cheap ones from the market, and of course my fresh home grown. I might as well offer her some dried oregano for all the reaction. The balls came in a plastic bag of valerian leaves, not roots. Apparently she doesn't have the reactive gene; most of my others over the years got really silly with catnip ...:roll:

MadCatLady
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Ummmm... very unusual!! :(

Maybe your last chance saloon should be the Dried Valerian root???? And put some of their fav soft things in it? Mine have soft balls, fluffies (somekind of coloured fur type things - best we not ask what!!) and also small cuddley toys, ickle tiny ones!!! Or if they have a fav pillow store that in the dried root... it is much stronger than the leaves!!
Good luck!!! it's soooooo funny.... watching my gigantic dominant male roll around like a big fluffy wiggly worm!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
07-06-2009, 09:56 PM
This is Leia playing with one of the balls ....

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/DSCN0845.jpg

MadCatLady
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Excellant!!! Will have to get my photos loaded onto laptop of my Feline Tribe.... sooooo funny!

dandysmom
07-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh please do! We LOVE pics!!

angieh
08-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh yes, seconded! Nothing better than pictures of cats IMO!!!

(unless it's the cats themselves, of course!)