PDA

View Full Version : Update on K

Tink
31-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, we have a date set for his heart surgery now-June 17.

He has been diagnosed with Takayasu's Arteritis so this is something we will always have to watch.

The surgery will be eight hours plus. They will arrest his heart and cut off circulation to the brain for fifteen minutes.

I'm going to need to start practicing driving again as I will need to in order to visit him in the hospital as he will be in ICU for a week.

He will spend a few weeks at home and then return to work for two months under light duty. They will pay him the same and he will technically keep his position as head milwright but until he makes a full recovery he will work light duty as the night security watch instead. He won't completely miss work because he's worried about getting the bills paid and he simply won't ask anyone for money, that's just not how he is.

I'm kind of in denial and trying not to think about it much till the date comes closer.

On the up side they say he will feel like a new man once he's healed. He's not receivng properly oxygenated blood in his body right now so he will feel much better if all goes according to plan.

calismum
31-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Tink, I do understand how worried you must be for him. He will be so much better in a few short months that you will both be able to look on this as a transition from low to normal energy.

It is really good his employer seems to be so understanding, that must take such a weight off his mind.

Are you very worried about driving? How far away is the hosp, will it be a long drive? I'm sur it'll be like riding a bike! Once you get behind the wheel you'll be fine.

I'll be thinking of you both.

dandysmom
31-05-2009, 08:11 PM
You can't help but worry, but as CM said he'll be so much better after the surgery, which does sound serious. Wonderful that his employers are being so helpful, especially in these unpleasant economic times, one less thing to fret about! I hope the drive to the hospital won't be to bad, is it far? Are the roads good? At least there'll be no snow to contend with. Keeping you in my prayers, Tink, xxx

alexgirl73
31-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I echo what CM and Eileen have said, and I'll be keeping you both in my prayers also xx

random
31-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Can't say any more than has been said already Tink but will be thinking of you both. x

yola
31-05-2009, 09:47 PM
A very worrying time for you both. I'm afraid you're just going to have to grit your teeth and be strong . . . K will need you to be by his side and being there for him will have to get you through your own fears and worries.

All my best thoughts and wishes to you both.

Grete
01-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Sorry to hear about K's illness and upcoming surgery :( There isn't any easy answer to get through it other than you are stronger than you know and will do what needs to be done because you love him.

I often think waiting for the surgery date to arrive is the worst part as all you can do is think about all the what ifs.

Once it's here you have things to focus on and then can see the benefits of the surgery as he heals.

Thinking of you both and I hope it goes really well *hugs*

smudgley
01-06-2009, 07:17 AM
You'll get through this together Tink, stay strong for each other. Thinking of you. {{hugs}}

Mags
15-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Will be thinking of you and K on the 17th Tink, I hope everything goes well and K makes a good recovery.

Best wishes to you both ((((hugs))))

HappyKatz
15-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Wow that is major surgery...Hope all goes well for K! Will be thinking of you both :smt049
Unlimited {{Vibes}} for a successful surgery & a speedy recovery :)

Leesy
17-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I echoe what everybody else has said and that all goes well, sending you lots of healing vibes and big hugs Xxx.

angieh
17-06-2009, 11:01 AM
You are both in my thoughts today Tink. I trust that all will go well.

Tink
17-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you. I had a good send off with him and had a nice lighthearted rapport with the anesthesiologist. I've bought him two stuffed dogs that look like his at home that I'm sure he'll miss and a small card.
Will update when I can..four hours in now to surgery...at the least, halfway done!

Leesy
17-06-2009, 10:09 PM
We are hanging on in there with you on your long wait for news, it won`t be too long now and you will beable to sigh a huge sigh of relief;) .
Still sending you lots of ((love)) and ((hugs)) Xxx.

dandysmom
17-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I echo that, Tink........

smudgley
17-06-2009, 10:27 PM
hugs & kisses to you. x