PDA

View Full Version : Cat crates?

angieh
29-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I am trying to plan in advance for when I get Kizzy's Kompanion, whenever or whatever he may be!

Thinking about introductions and the fact that Kizzy is now free to come and go as she pleases which means that the cat flap is unlocked, I wondered if it would be a good idea to be able to provide the newcomer with a safe and secure place to go, at least at night.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts about this - I've never used one before.

smudgley
30-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I would recommend a cage every time, it's the best way to introduce them. It gives the newcomer a chance to be in a safe place and have security but also that they can't run away & hide. Perfect solution.

Elaine
30-05-2009, 07:51 AM
We used a crate in our 6 month long intro's to Eva:? , dont despair about the length of time, Eva IS a one off (atleast o0n this side of the pond):lol:
Bernie was and is an easy cat and so he didnt mind at all, he did also have the run of the kitchen and the rest of the house if Eva was out in the garden.
At meal times we would feed Bernie inside the crate, and Eva at a comfortable distance from the crate but so that she could clearly see him. Gradually we moved her food nearer and nearer to the crate but would often have to go back a step or two if she began to feel uncomfortable.
It was a long, slow process with Eva but many cats are not as complicated as she is.

angieh
30-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks - that's good news and how I'm thinking.

Any recommendations for type/size?

dinahsmum
30-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I think cages are the ideal means of introducing animals to each other with the least potential hassle. Have you read Vicky Halls' 'Cat Confidential'? - she is a firm advocate of cages for preventing problems.
I suppose the biggest practical size is best - and think how easy or difficult access might be. You may well be able to find one offered on a free-ad site etc. It's the kind of thing people buy, use and then stow away till they move house or similar. We have a puppy crate collapsed n the garage - I don't suppose we will use it again ... and then again ... who knows?

calismum
30-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree cages are good idea. I'd say big enough to hold a small litter tray, sleep and food area. That way if you hit problems the crate can be used as a temporary 'home'. I was lucky as we have ahuge golden retriever sized one.

Think it also depends on the cats nature too. Alfie couldn't care less so it is much easier. Best be prepared tho'.

I agree it is one of the things you can usually pick up quite easily in our dogs ads or similar.

(is Kizzy using the cat flap both ways now?)

pcspik
30-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Also if you have any dog owning neighbours/friends, ask if they have one that you may borrow.