PDA

View Full Version : What do you call your evening meal?

calismum
29-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Thought it might be interesting to find out how you describe your evening or main meal.

If we eat around 5.30/6pm we call it tea.
If it is 6.30 - 8 pm we call it dinner.
After that if it is a main meal we call it supper.

However, if we have tea, we will often have toast or cake around 10pm and call that supper.

At the weekend we will often have brunch and then dinner around 5pm.

But on a Sunday we will sometimes have cooked breakfast then dinner at 3pm!.

It amazes me that any of us know what we are sitting down to:o

Moli
29-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Our evening meal is always dinner....

dandysmom
29-05-2009, 10:13 PM
It's dinner here. The older folks, especially in the country used to call the mid-day meal dinner and the evening meal supper. Lunch is noonish to one or so, dinner from oh about any time between 6 to 8 pm. Brunch is any time between 11ish to about 1 pm. We don't do proper teas here! Although I picked up the expression "tea" from you all referring to when I fed Onyx her afternoon meal about 4 pm. Good thread!

angieh
29-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Thinking about it, we only have "dinner" on special occasions - like Christmas or the occasional roast treat. Otherwise "lunch" is around 1.30 and "supper" around 7.00. We do have "tea" but that is generally just tea and maybe a biscuit or a bit of cake if we're pushing the boat out and that is always around 4.00 p.m.

I am grateful that "breakfast" is almost nearly always "breakfast" and that happens around 9.00 a.m. - late because of getting MIL up.

pookyandjo
30-05-2009, 08:49 AM
im with you Angie... dinner is something we eat on special occasions... UNLESS.....we go out for dinner..otherwise it's tea... my american friends always think it's funny when im chatting to them online and i say something like... ï better go and make a start on tea"... lunch is lunch unless it's brunch because we have got up really late after a night out having "Dinner" at a restaurant ...lol

Great thread CM :)

alexgirl73
30-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Dinner here, always has been. Lunch is the noontime sandwich lol. Supper is something eaten around 8pm ish, after dinner. Although it's never been something that I've done, I used to think my friends were so posh when I was growing up, when they talked about supper :lol:

yola
30-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Lunch is always the middle of the day(ish) meal and Dinner is the evening meal.
OH sometimes calls them dinner and supper respectively . . . I always found supper a bit 'Just William' LOL as it conjoured up images of cucumber sandwiches!! :D

angieh
30-05-2009, 01:08 PM
ah now, what about "tiffin"?

Kazz
30-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Dinner here and lunch at lunchtime...rarely call anything supper.....I'm with Yola on the Eton/Just William thought wave, although on Sunday and Christmas (Easter etc) Dinner is lunchtime about 3pmish....full cooked dinner; then tea on Sunday about 6pm+ish.Don't have brunch just a late brekie. although I do like tea, sarnies etc.

Kim
30-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Lunch at lunchtime and evening meal is Dinner. If we have eaten a main meal at lunchtime (rarely) then we have 'tea' in the evening!!