PDA

View Full Version : My rose in flower

Kazz
28-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Sorry not the best of pictures...but the thing is I need smelly threads...for you to get the full benefit...the rose smells gorgeous....as you open the gate...even people walking the other side of the fence have come to the front and commented on its scent..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Captured2009-5-2600011.jpg

Mags
28-05-2009, 07:17 PM
That's very beautiful Kazz, is it new this year? It looks lovely with the acer in the foreground too...

Such a mass of flowers and I can just imagine the fragrance wafting from them...:D

calismum
28-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Wow - that looks lovely. I don't even have buds yet.

I can smell it from here!!!!

angieh
28-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Beautiful .................... (breathes in deeply)

dandysmom
28-05-2009, 08:32 PM
That's a lovely rose! Do you know its name?

pookyandjo
29-05-2009, 04:07 AM
it does look beautiful with all the other colours surrounding it...and yes! a smelly thread would be a really good option!

dinahsmum
29-05-2009, 08:11 AM
That's very nice.
Strangely, I, the rose-sceptic, have been looking at climbers/ramblers to replace my late wisteria.
I'll keep you posted
(Do all climbers have a scent?)

dandysmom
29-05-2009, 04:05 PM
That's very nice.
Strangely, I, the rose-sceptic, have been looking at climbers/ramblers to replace my late wisteria.
I'll keep you posted
(Do all climbers have a scent?)

Regretfully, no. :( But many do, will look out a list of some for you after lunch. My favorite rose catalogue wouldn't let me copy the link! :roll:

angieh
29-05-2009, 04:49 PM
If anyone lives near enough to get to Mottisfont Abbey (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-mottisfont/) (National Trust) they have a lovely walled rose garden, which should be getting near it's best just now.

dandysmom
29-05-2009, 07:59 PM
DM. here are some fragrant climbers:

Don Juan - red, very fragrant
Blush Noisette - pink, fragrant
Cecile Brunner - pink, fragrant
Coral dawn - deep pink, fragrant
Zepherine Drouhin - raspberry pink, very fragrant
Sombreiul - white, very fragrant
Mme, Alfred Carrier - white, very fragrant

Some of these come in shrub form also, look to be sure if you get one that it's a climber.

Two beautiful very hardy ones I grow are Alchymist - apricot orange, and Variegata de Bologna, red and white striped. Unfortunately only very faint if any fragrance.

Hope this is of some interest.

dinahsmum
29-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Yes, thankyou
Apricot, lemon or white would be my choice. My neighbour has a nice apricot rambler on our joint fence and I enjoy those flowers but there doesn't appear to be any scent

Kazz
29-05-2009, 08:21 PM
DM May I suggest this site...http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/searchlist.asp

dandysmom
29-05-2009, 08:24 PM
The people who write the descriptions must have extremely keen senses of smell; my Alchymist is supposedly fragrant...but isn't. Those last two whites on the list are very fragrant according to my rose book; have never seen either in the flesh, so to speak. Both are repeat bloomers.

dandysmom
29-05-2009, 08:28 PM
That's an excellent site Kazz posted; I have several Austin roses. I'd suggested some of the older varieties as they've proved their hardiness over the years, and I know you don't care for fussy roses that need a lot pf pruning, coddling and spraying!

dinahsmum
29-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks Kazz - what about Goldfinch? Looks good?

Kazz
29-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I am going to visit the David Austin roses place in Wolverhampton in the next week...anything you would like to ask Eileen.

dandysmom
29-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I am going to visit the David Austin roses place in Wolverhampton in the next week...anything you would like to ask Eileen.

That sounds like a great place to visit, Kazz, don't forget the camera! And you never did say the name of your beautiful climber.