PDA

View Full Version : Toms and Queens

onekidney
27-05-2009, 03:08 PM
We had our tom cat, Tidus, castrated 10 days ago, at 6 months old. All of a sudden, all four of our queens, also neutered, have got nasty with him. They are spitting and lashing out at him, not allowing him to get to close to them. Any ideas?

dinahsmum
27-05-2009, 03:10 PM
He probably just smells 'nasty' (from the vet/anaesthetic etc) to them and is therefore a bit scarey
Give it a couple more days

Elaine
27-05-2009, 03:20 PM
You could also try a bit of scent swapping by rubbing the others down with a towel or soft cloth and then rub Tidus down with the same cloth, help make him smell more like them again.
It's not uncommon for this to happen, I am sure they will all get over it soon. xxx

dandysmom
27-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Happens often...the dreaded "vet smell". They'll get over it.

MadCatLady
27-05-2009, 06:20 PM
:lol: It may also be down to the fact that he now feels a bit under the weather and the girls are taking this opportunity to ascert themselves! Time will tell!!;)

angieh
27-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Poor little chap - I would try the scent rubbing thing. I am sure it's the vet smell that's making them like that.

pcspik
29-05-2009, 07:24 PM
You could also try giving them Rescue Remedy for a while (it's found in either Boots or Holland & Barratt). Put 4 drops in the water bowl each day and it should work after a while.

Although it is a human medicine, it is perfectly safe to use on cats (we use in the shelter at Cats Protection). Do make sure it is not the spray though! Also dont worry if you do put more than 4 drops in the water - you cant overdose with it. It will cost about £8 for the larger bottle but it is worth it.