PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want any Chinese Lantern seeds?

random
25-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I recently bought some of these and didn't read properly 'til they arrived that they are poisonous in the same way potato and tomato leaves are, i'm disappointed as I love the little lanterns but it's not worth the risk with the dogs as they are likely to give it a chew at some point, especially the pup.

There are about 100 seeds, if anyone wants them just give me a shout and i'll pop them in the post, rather see them be used than binned.

angieh
25-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Are they also poisonous to cats random?

Mags
25-05-2009, 12:18 PM
They are poisonous to cats according to this list, Angie..:(

http://www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk/Chesterfield%20cats%20protection%20plants%20toxic% 20to%20cats%20page.htm

random
25-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes they are poisonous to us all unfortunately, humans, cats, dogs. :(

I would have grown them out the front where the animals don't go but I just don't have the room round there for them. :(

dandysmom
25-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd love to have them, Random! As Leia never goes out they'd be fine in the back garden. There's only one roaming cat in the neighborhood that I know of (the other black cat that I thought for a heartstopping minute when I first saw him was my dear Onyx!) and I've never seen him in my yard, he'd have to scale the 6 foot fence as the gate is kept closed. I've always liked Chinese lanterns but have never grown them; wonder if it's too late to plant?

I could swap you some catnip seed if you like when it seeds!

random
25-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I'd love to have them, Random! As Leia never goes out they'd be fine in the back garden. There's only one roaming cat in the neighborhood that I know of (the other black cat that I thought for a heartstopping minute when I first saw him was my dear Onyx!) and I've never seen him in my yard, he'd have to scale the 6 foot fence as the gate is kept closed. I've always liked Chinese lanterns but have never grown them; wonder if it's too late to plant?

I could swap you some catnip seed if you like when it seeds!

Brilliant Eileen, I would love some catnip when it seeds, I will pop these in the post in the morning for you.

I have never had a problem with the cats eating plants, they only eat the grass, they do rub their teeth on woody stalks but they have never eaten random plants, the dogs however, are a different story!

Did Leia's harness arrive yet?

dandysmom
25-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Oh thank you, Random! I have tons of catnip so will gladly send some seed when it goes to seed. And to anyone who would like some.

Harness not here yet, but there's no post today because of the holiday..... will PM ASAP when it comes! Please send me your Paypal info!

random
25-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I sent it last week Eileen so i'm not sure how long they take to get there from here but should imagine it would be any time soon!

dandysmom
25-05-2009, 09:56 PM
It seems to vary...I've had stuff from the UK in 4 days, and as long as 10. And we've had the weekend as well as the holiday on both sides of the Pond. Am looking forward to it; not sure of the Princess' feelings!