PDA

View Full Version : Cats being sick

kado
20-05-2009, 05:08 PM
I thought that they could have a furball as they all groom each other. It started on sun/mon with lucky beign sick and later kado was sick on the chair, followed a few hours later by Simon beign sick on the settee as well. I am kicking myself for thinking it was just furballs and totaly dismissed it. Today Chester was sick in the bedroom and Lucky and Guinness where sick within minutes of each other in the living room this afternoon. Lucky never goes out of the garden so he cant have picked out up like a mouse. I have taken there food up this morning just to see if it settles there tummys if it persits i will take them to the vets but will be only able to take 3 at the most(cat carriers). I kneed to get this sorted out before the car goes back sometime this wk. Any ideas what it could be or anything that i could give them.

jane

dinahsmum
20-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Poor things.
I suppose if it was all the human members of a family you would put it down to a 'bug', limit their intake to just water/lucozade etc and wait for it to pass.
I'm not a vet and I don't know if that's the right thing for cats. Removing their food and ensuring they have access to clean, fresh, water sounds right.
I hope there'll be no more vomiting and that they will all be fine.

kado
20-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Two have just ate. I have never seen them all sick at the same time. I hope they are better soon as i have just found out that the car is going back on Friday.

angieh
20-05-2009, 05:31 PM
That is a worry Jane. I'm really not sure what I'd do - sounds as if it's got to be a bug of some sort as most of your cats have it. I think I'd phone the vet and ask if there is anything that they know is "doing the rounds" and what they're advising if so. As DM says, withdrawing food but making sure they have fresh water is good. Have you noticed any difference with their litter habits?

kado
20-05-2009, 06:20 PM
no they havent. They have been going out more escaping through the cat flap but not lucky. I have asked my other neighbours and there cats arnt ill. There all asleep at the moment except kado who escaped through the blocked off catflap.

smudgley
20-05-2009, 07:29 PM
If my cats had been vomiting since Sunday / Monday I would get them to the vets asap.

Elaine
20-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Smudgley on that one.

calismum
20-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree too. Even if one has not been out there is a chance they could have picked something up from the others being sick.

Moli
20-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Think the same , vets asap....

dandysmom
20-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Another vote for a vet trip here .....

pookyandjo
21-05-2009, 02:08 AM
yep me too..was there any consistency to the vomits? colour? odour? identifiable markings? just a thought :(

kado
21-05-2009, 01:08 PM
It was very waterey. I fed them there usual food this morning and within 5 mins Lucky threw up. I think its the food. I have given them some wet food and they have all tried it and touch wood havent being sick. I have e-mailed the maker just incase it was a bad batch.

pookyandjo
21-05-2009, 01:23 PM
well hopefully that is the case... would be a simple solution if it is...wonder if you'll get a reply from the manufacturer

kado
21-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I have jsut got off the phone from them. They are sending me a bag to send it back to them. They are going to analise the food as well. They also told me if i do take them to the vets to inform them straight away. Also they are phoning me tomorrow to see how the cats are. I need to know not just for my cats if its the food but for other people cats. I am not after anything from them but i want them to know if there is a problem. They haven been sick since the wet food has being put down.

pookyandjo
21-05-2009, 01:50 PM
that's great that they are taking this whole thing seriously.... and i know what you mean about needing to know for other cats as well as your own...fingers crossed they are fine with the wet food...

dandysmom
21-05-2009, 04:24 PM
How nice they responded the way they did! It does sound suspicious, especially as the wet food has stayed down; do keep us posted.

kado
21-05-2009, 04:39 PM
The food is the only thing that they all have in common. I was more worried if any other cat especially on here eat the same food. They are out now and havent been sick since this morning. The wet food has stayed down.

angieh
21-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Can you tell us what the food is Jane?

I am very pleased the company has responded positively. It didn't cross my mind when you first posted that it could be the food at fault.

kado
21-05-2009, 05:47 PM
It Purina Once Adult Chicken and rice 3kg. I thought at first they had pick a bug up but thing about it could only be the food. They are all lively in themselfs and are running around in the garden and seem ok.. If it had continued today after i gave them wet food i would have taken them to the vets.

kado
22-05-2009, 08:19 PM
They sent me the prepayed envelope to send the food back and phoned me up exactly when they said they would as well. The food has got to go for testing and i have kept the rest of it just incase they said they loose it. They asked about the welfare of all the cats and to contact them if i needed to take them to the vets. They have stopped being sick as well. I have changed there food to Felix as they hate whiskers and they have kept it down. I will update you when i have the results of the food being tested.

jane

dandysmom
22-05-2009, 08:22 PM
They're taking this very seriously as they should, glad you got such a prompt and helpful response. I do hope that's what caused it and that you'll have no further worries....glad to hear they're active and eating well again!

angieh
22-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes it's great your cats are better now. What a worry you've had. As I said, I am very glad that the food company have acted so promptly and I will be interested to hear the results of their tests.

dandysmom
22-05-2009, 10:25 PM
As would I .........