PDA

View Full Version : Moli...a question

Kazz
17-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Moli can I ask a question why are your dogs bitches and your cats Toms....?

Have you ever had a female cat or a male dog?

Just a thought...Dinahsmum is the same whereas Smudgley is all females....is there anything in the divide?

Moli
17-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Always had girl dogs, think they are a lot easier than boy dogs, and have neater back ends!
I have never had a girl cat, apart from the fosters, just prefer boy cats....To me they are more affectionate, and do not have the hunting instinct like the girls do...

smudgley
17-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Girls everywhere here. 2 daughters, one female dog, 4 female cats, 8 female hens, previously had female rabbits & female hamsters... Have kept male dogs in the past, but prefer to keep bitches.

yola
17-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Me n Fifi and the only girls in our house. She is though a very aloof and self-contained cat; the boys are much friendlier and approachable (cuddly).

Do boy-dogs not display similar personality characteristics then?

tilly
17-05-2009, 09:29 PM
there are 5 female and one male in this house. No real reason as to why it has just worked out that way.

Tilly

calismum
17-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Always had girl dogs, think they are a lot easier than boy dogs, and have neater back ends!
I have never had a girl cat, apart from the fosters, just prefer boy cats....To me they are more affectionate, and do not have the hunting instinct like the girls do...

I have always had girl dogs too.

By choice I'd also rather have a male cat although as all but one of mine over the years have found me I've not really had much choice!

pookyandjo
18-05-2009, 02:09 AM
isn't that funny...ive always had male cats.. (with the one exception of Princess Harri)... but always had female dogs...
Interesting what Moli said about female cats having that hunting instinct... Harri certainly does seems to pounce on anything that even thinks about moving..dont remember any of my males being quite so aggressive when they "catch" the finger, toe, leg, hand etc that they were hunting...

dandysmom
18-05-2009, 03:18 AM
I agree with Moli that the males are more affectionate, at least in my experience; I've had 4 males and 3 females over the years.

dinahsmum
18-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm a boy cat/girl dog person too
I'm not sure if they really are that different or whether you just go for what you know or even that it's a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy and because you think that one sex will be sweeter/kinder/softer/more faithful/whatever characteristic you are looking for, then that is what you find and maybe accentuate.
Does that make sense?

niki71uk
18-05-2009, 12:25 PM
its equal in this house now 1 male cat 1 female cat 1 male dog and me female

niki71uk
18-05-2009, 12:33 PM
ive always had female cats,toby was the first male cat,and he's lived the longest out them all:shock: he's 15,ive had him since he was 4 n half mnths old

angieh
18-05-2009, 12:49 PM
1 boy and 2 girls so far. Hope to redress the balance SOON! (Poor OH is outnumbered 1 to 3 atm)

Leesy
18-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I have 1 male dog Zimba, 1 female dog Zara, and of course Maxi whose male and Maisy whose female so I don`t think I have any set prefrence to gender........;)

dandysmom
18-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm a boy cat/girl dog person too
I'm not sure if they really are that different or whether you just go for what you know or even that it's a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy and because you think that one sex will be sweeter/kinder/softer/more faithful/whatever characteristic you are looking for, then that is what you find and maybe accentuate.
Does that make sense?

Yes it does, and well put. I grew up with a boy cat, so when I was an adult and got my first and second cat I automatically went for males. Then Misty found me, and I agree that I'd presumed she'd be less affectionate ....and she was. Self-fulfilling prophecy, as you said?

angieh
18-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I also believed that females were generally less affectionate, or were affectionate on their own terms (a good thing IMO) but Kizzy has proved that not to be the case, she is the most demonstrably affectionate of my cats to date.

pookyandjo
19-05-2009, 02:34 AM
I also believed that females were generally less affectionate, or were affectionate on their own terms (a good thing IMO) but Kizzy has proved that not to be the case, she is the most demonstrably affectionate of my cats to date.

The same reason i've always gone for boys Angie.. but so far Harri is far more affectionate than any cat i've had... but she's very much her own cat... sometimes she just want to be left alone... Tinky on the other hand was a mummy's boy and just wanted to be near me all the time... but when Harri is feeling affectionate... then she's all the way.... although she does have Tinky's little habit of crying out when she thinks she's alone.

all in all i'd have another girl cat..although when she chose me at the RSPCA... the one thing that was holding me back from saying "YES" was the fact that she was a girl.. cant quite belive i've been so closed minded all these years about boys verus girls