PDA

View Full Version : i give up !!!!!

niki71uk
17-05-2009, 02:51 PM
do i persevere with trying to get the harness on CASS or do i give up??

last wkend i had all the windows open,enough so i thought she couldnt get out,boy was i wrong :shock: they'd been open for a few hrs,i hadnt noticed she'd gone:oops: was only coz i was going to take the dog out,i went to close the windows,as i live on the ground floor,that i noticed she'd gone:cry:

i went out the back,hooked the door open and whistled,nothing!!!!! so i went back in leaving the back door open,to get a box of biscuits,went back out side n called her shaking the box n there she was,i lifted her up,but she hates that:lol: so i let her go n she headed straight for the back door,how did she know where to go? :shock: ive only ever been out with her twice b4,do u think it was my smell or the other cat she could smell,so knew it was home,or just coincidental?

Mags
17-05-2009, 03:13 PM
You will need to be calm when trying to put the harness on Cass........ if you are the slightest bit stressed I'm afraid she will pick it up and try to get away from you.

Have you managed to get any of the straps on her at all? Is it a straight forward harness?

niki71uk
17-05-2009, 03:18 PM
figure of 8,one bit goes over the head round the body,the other bit round the neck,and clips like a collar,i think i'll need someone elsev the help me,she runs as soons as she sees it:lol:

Mags
17-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Does she ever come and sit quietly next to you? If so, maybe you could have the harness close by, make a fuss of her and maybe play with the harness with her instead of trying to put it straight onto her..... it will get her used to the smell etc...

niki71uk
17-05-2009, 03:35 PM
ive tried all that,i leave it lying,i some times have it on the desk here so i can do it sneaky style.i even tried putting my hand through the loop then,giving her some food to distract herthen putting it over her head,then then nashes with it hanging from her body

dandysmom
17-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh, I think she knew where home was; she's a smart girl, if stubborn about the harness! I think I'd give it a rest for a bit... it does sound almost as if it's become a test of wills about wearing it.

niki71uk
17-05-2009, 04:33 PM
yup,i think coz of her previous harness,she is more suspicious:lol:

dandysmom
17-05-2009, 04:48 PM
She just may be one of those cats who will NOT adapt to a harness; such a pity as it gives an indoor cat a chance to enjoy the outdoors safely. All of mine but Leia did with no problems so I really can't offer any helpful advice.

niki71uk
17-05-2009, 04:51 PM
i might just try her out with out it,but take food with me

calismum
17-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Wee horror - think I'd wait a while then try again.

yola
17-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I did eventually give up with all my cats as all those I tried the harness on either fought like fury or just did a sit-down protest and refused to move - I let them out under supervision now and only the one really ever wanders any distance.

Moli
17-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I only once tried to put a harness on, it was a dog, got in such a muddle, never tried again....!!

pookyandjo
18-05-2009, 02:17 AM
im trying it with Harri...only tried to put it on her once... and she layed on the ground like it was made of lead!.. one of the nurses at the vets said that every cat she has harness trained... did that for at least 2 weeks... (one up to two months)... i have just carried the harness around the house at present... everywhere her food bowl is... the harness is next to it..(we are locking her in our room at night at present..cause she is teething and biting electrical cords .. can watch her her during the day but i need to sleep at some stage, and dont want to wake up to a fried cat!) I plan to put the harness on her later this week and leave it on whilst she's running abut the house doing her daily stuff... she doesn't seem to be afraid of it now.... now that she has become accustomed to seeing it next to her whilst she eats