PDA

View Full Version : Found a cat (alive dont worry)...

janey83
17-05-2009, 09:04 AM
EDIT: Just realised this is in the wrong place!

My bf brother rang him yesterday when we landed and said they found a cat and it looks like a ferrel, they asked around where they found it if it was anyone's, no one knew anything (they found it in a field and there wasn't a lot of house's round where they were) they brought it home (not sure if it was the right thing to do) but its got loads of tics... so now my bf is wondered where to take it to get the tics removed...
vets or cats protection?

If we take it to the CP will they help with the tics and check where my bf lives? (coz remember when he wanted a kitten from them they said no coz he lives on a main road and doesn't want the cats to be indoor cats?)

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

angieh
17-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Well, that's a welcome home for you Janey! Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

IMO the most important thing is getting rid of those ticks and seeing that the cat is otherwise well. It may be tricky to find any help today, but I'd suggest someone phones around tomorrow to see whether CP/RCPCA or a vet will look after the cat. Does your bf intend offering the cat a home? If not, I don't suppose you will want a vet bill, understandably! Good luck - I do hope you can find help for the cat.

janey83
17-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, that's a welcome home for you Janey! Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

IMO the most important thing is getting rid of those ticks and seeing that the cat is otherwise well. It may be tricky to find any help today, but I'd suggest someone phones around tomorrow to see whether CP/RCPCA or a vet will look after the cat. Does your bf intend offering the cat a home? If not, I don't suppose you will want a vet bill, understandably! Good luck - I do hope you can find help for the cat.

Well we rang the emergancy vets and they said come down and we'll see what we can do. So we took her down the vet checked her if she was chipped and she wasnt, they got rid of the tics and rubbed flea stuff over her coat which will kill anythin else.

My bfs takin her to the vets tomorrow to get her properly checked over.

She is amazingly skinny and weak and just wants to be hugged. We are feeding her little and often. Will update tomorrow when I know more.:)

So looks like we have a new kitty.

After she came back from the vets (her coats like that coz of the flea stuff). Not a good pic.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/janey_83/Muffin/DSC01398.jpg

calismum
17-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Poor baby, she does look very under the weather. But lucky her to have found you to look after her.

Look forward to an update and happy new kitty.

CathyW
17-05-2009, 07:24 PM
ohhhhhhhhhh shes a black kitty. bless her. give her a stroke from me. i love black cats :)

yola
17-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Jane - you are an angel!

Vets have a 'duty of care' to help a cat/animal that isn't owned but is suffering. If you/your boyfriend can offer a donation (however small) than the vet should treat the cat at cost to him. This isn't to be abused but if the animal is suffering and you can't afford the treatment, then call on this - if you can then see the cat right; it's win/win all around.

janey83
17-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Jane - you are an angel!

Vets have a 'duty of care' to help a cat/animal that isn't owned but is suffering. If you/your boyfriend can offer a donation (however small) than the vet should treat the cat at cost to him. This isn't to be abused but if the animal is suffering and you can't afford the treatment, then call on this - if you can then see the cat right; it's win/win all around.

Yeah the check up tomorrow will cost £30 which my bf wants to pay just to check she's ok. If she needs to have anythin else done we are happy to pay for what she needs and she'll be staying with my bf forever.:D

dandysmom
17-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Bless you both for helping this little cat, Janey!

alexgirl73
17-05-2009, 09:51 PM
how wonderful :D she's gorgeous, although a little scruffy looking right now lol. Hope she gets the all clear tomorrow and that your BF is very happy with the new lady in his life :lol:

John
17-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Well done ..I have just taken in what was a Scruffy black and white cat. we call him Tom..had a voucher from Cat Protection to put towards having him neutered..now been done. he is now a lovely friendly boy. that my other cat Millie can boss around...

angieh
18-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Well done Janey and to your bf too! Poor little puss, I do hope that with tlc, she'll fill out. Getting rid of those ticks will help no end. Good luck with her - do let us know how she progresses.

pookyandjo
18-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Go Janey!... and Mr Janey!..lol.. you've got a keeper there Janey...a man with a soft spot for cats! hope everything sorts out with your new family member... has you BF thought of any names for his little black friend?

dinahsmum
18-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Poor little baby - I hope she will soon pick up now she is safe. It will take a while to get much flesh on her bones if Chester is anything to go by.

Just a thought Jane. Spaying etc. I think you should get in touch with CP to get a spay voucher asap, unless you can be absolutely sure she's been done already. If she's entire, and has been 'on the road' chances are she could be pregnant. That's absolutely the last thing her body needs (and we know there are more than enough unplanned kittens being born). If she could be spayed now, then any 'problems' could be avoided. Sorry if that offends some people - I happen to think it would be kindest

PoshPuss
18-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Janey and Mr Janey :D, you'll love having this new beautiful little girl in your life, I promise you. Hope you can overcome all the practicalities and get support from the agencies. If the cat fits into your life like a glove, then she was meant to be, and that is a wonderful feeling, believe me! Fingers x'd ;)

Leesy
18-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Janey and Mr Janey what a lucky cat to have turned up on your doorstep:D :D , hope she is feeling alot better soon and you enjoy your new companion;)

janey83
18-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Go Janey!... and Mr Janey!..lol.. you've got a keeper there Janey...a man with a soft spot for cats! hope everything sorts out with your new family member... has you BF thought of any names for his little black friend?

Hehe I know.
It was his brother and his gf that found the cat and they named it Muffin!!!! I really dont like it. It doesnt suit her. But my bf likes it.:roll:

Just a thought Jane. Spaying etc. I think you should get in touch with CP to get a spay voucher asap, unless you can be absolutely sure she's been done already. If she's entire, and has been 'on the road' chances are she could be pregnant. That's absolutely the last thing her body needs (and we know there are more than enough unplanned kittens being born). If she could be spayed now, then any 'problems' could be avoided. Sorry if that offends some people - I happen to think it would be kindest

We'll defo get her spayed if she isnt.

Thanks everyone. She's booked into the vets for tomorrow at 6.30pm. Will give you goss on her after that.:)

pookyandjo
19-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Hehe I know.
It was his brother and his gf that found the cat and they named it Muffin!!!! I really dont like it. It doesnt suit her. But my bf likes it.:roll:

We'll defo get her spayed if she isnt.

Thanks everyone. She's booked into the vets for tomorrow at 6.30pm. Will give you goss on her after that.:)

Well you just have to think of a different name that you like... and that he will like... and then let him think that he thought of the name ..

given that she is black.....i think a name like PINK would work wonderfully!!!:-D ;)

kado
19-05-2009, 12:17 PM
What a very kind man your brother is and i am so glad that he took her in not many people would do that. I am so glad we found our lucky the same way i wouldnt be with out the little monster. He is the boss of the house as well. Please let us know on how she is getting on and more pics please. I love black cats too.

jane

janey83
19-05-2009, 01:51 PM
given that she is black.....i think a name like PINK would work wonderfully!!!:-D ;)

Lol... Dont tempt me :D

random
19-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Poor wee mite, so glad she's being cared for, best of luck!

janey83
19-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok... she maybe a he...

The vet checked and said she looks like a male but theres no 'boy bits' so either he's been neutered or... I dunno!?

But who ever the owners were/are they sure weren't looking after 'him'.

Erm, they cant give 'him' injections just yet as he is too skinny. We will take him back in 2 weeks and see if he can have them then.
The ticks have also come back. When we got home my bf noticed a big one on the back of his neck... should we leave it for a few days coz he has had a flea treatment so far and they say they'll drop off?

Elaine
19-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Poor baby, well done to your b/f for taking him in and helping him.
I'd maybe wait a day or so and see if the tick falls off or maybe give the vet a call and ask them what'd be the best thing to do. Never had any experience of ticks, sorry.

angieh
20-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Do you know which sort of flea treatment "he" has had? I think most of them get rid of ticks too, so I'd ask the vet. Horrible things, ticks.

pookyandjo
20-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok... she maybe a he...
The vet checked and said she looks like a male but theres no 'boy bits' so either he's been neutered or... I dunno!?

But who ever the owners were/are they sure weren't looking after 'him'.

Erm, they cant give 'him' injections just yet as he is too skinny. We will take him back in 2 weeks and see if he can have them then.
The ticks have also come back. When we got home my bf noticed a big one on the back of his neck... should we leave it for a few days coz he has had a flea treatment so far and they say they'll drop off?

lol Janey... can't really be called Muffin if it's a boy... no street cred with a name like that... "he'll" be in therapy for years!

dinahsmum
20-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Probably better if he is a he - no chance of pregnancy and if he's been neutered so much the better.
Ticks. The treatment will probably cause them to die and fall off in the next day or so. If they don't, you can get a tiny 'tool' at the vets (maybe petshops - I don't know?) to get them out easily. It's like a mini-mini-mini crowbar, that you put under the body of the tick, twist, and out it pops. Disgusting but effective.
Don't try to take them off just with your fingers *shudder* Chances are you'll break off the body and the 'teeth' will stay in the skin and set up a nasty reaction/infection.
They really are horrible creatures. An abomination.

kado
20-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I have only ever seen 2 ticks on my animals one was on a dog we used to look after and one was on Simon i managed to get them both off without any problems hate the horrible things though