PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Neighbourhood Tom

Grete
17-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Hey guys, I'm still around ;)

Just wondered if anyone had any advice for me. For quite a while now we've had a black cat wandering around making an awful racket as it 'talks' constantly. I call it Breakmyheart cat because it sounds so sad. I only just found out that it is a tom as he was cleaning himself on the patio and was treated to a full view of his 'furballs' and even his little lipstick ;)

I thought it was a stray at first but it is being well fed and has a new flea collar on every so often but I can't find out who owns it round here :(

The main problem is he comes crying up to the patio doors and sprays them which creates an awful smell and has now seeped in to the wood sill at the bottom. Every time it rains the whole room stinks of it.

Any idea how to get rid of the smell and also what to do about breakmyheart cat? It makes me so angry that someone would let their cat wander around without being neutered, just no excuse for it in this day and age with all the help there is with costs etc. Grrrrr.

CathyW
17-05-2009, 08:10 AM
if u can catch him spray him with a water pistol. or tuck a note in his collar saying to his owners what he is doing. maybe put a mobile number on it. but make sure its well secure.

Mags
17-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Hello Grete, good to see you here again...:D

I was going to suggest a note attached to his collar as well.......... how I wish that people with unneutered toms would realise what unpleasant habits their cats have. Not only that, surely they realise they are increasing the cat population in the area too..:evil:

I hope you can find the owner Grete, he needs to be stopped.......... does the smell affect Bubbles and Fizz?

dandysmom
17-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Have missed you, Grete! Hope you and the girls are well. I have no ideas about the tom other than what's already been suggested about the note; doubt if it will do any good as the sort of people who don't neuter their cat probably would just disregard it. I believe there are products to use to decrease the odor of the spray; will do a Google and see what I can come up with. What a sad story.

yola
17-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Lovely to see you again! You have been missed :D
I was also going to suggest the note - I did similar when my old black, stray tom started coming around (who I later adopted). Shame to chase him off; maybe just borrow him and have his nads off . . . and then plead ignorance.

I doubt he's a prize stud if he's roaming freely like that :shock:

dandysmom
17-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Grete, I don't know if any of these are available in the UK, but might be helpful....

http://cats.about.com/od/cleaningmesses/tp/odorout.htm

John
17-05-2009, 11:27 PM
see if you can get a voucher from cats protection to have his bits removed,,then bring him home and let him go..the owners wont know who done it.:-D

pookyandjo
18-05-2009, 02:05 AM
see if you can get a voucher from cats protection to have his bits removed,,then bring him home and let him go..the owners wont know who done it.:-D

sounds likea great idea....if people are going to let their cat roam about unfixed then they wont know who did it...plus it will be better for him in the long run as well! less fights etc..

Grete
19-05-2009, 04:06 AM
Thanks so much everyone for your replies!

I did think about catnapping and getting them lopped but I think if anything were to happen to him, I would feel so incredibly guilty :-/

I think I will try the note in the collar or just start knocking on doors down the street and see if anyone knows who owns him. I think he is actually quite an elderly puss as he has that 'older fur' look to him. Other than the spraying he is a very sweet friendly cat.

Oh and thanks for links DM! We did get a product that takes away the odour and is said to also discourage spraying so we've used that liberally around the area and see if that helps.

I'm such a softie, I hate chasing him off but it's not fair on my girls to have to deal with the scent all the time, (or us :?) Bubbles is too timid at the best of times.

angieh
19-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Grete! Nice to see you back - can't offer any more advice than those above have. Good luck with your Breakmyheart boy!