PDA

View Full Version : Kizzy's strange behaviour today

angieh
16-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I'd been cleaning our bedroom and emptied our wastepaper basket into a bag to put in the rubbish bin and left it outside the door. I was folding up some bed linen and noticed Kizzy nosing about in the bag of rubbish and when her head came out, her mouth was full of my hair, combed out of the hairbrush! I managed to get it out of her mouth easily enough but was surprised at this behaviour, which surely would have made her sick or even caused a blockage. There was a lot of hair, as mine has been falling out steadily for more than 2 years now :cry:

Has anyone else seen their cat try this or have any insight into the seemingly strange behaviour?

dandysmom
16-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Never seen or heard of that, Angie, and I'm as puzzled as you why. If it was a big clump, maybe because it smelled of you to her...???

I sympathize about the falling hair...mine was always thin to begin with, and is getting thinner!! I was surprised when I used the carpet sweeper the other day and there was a lot of long dark hair there in the tray along with Leia's fur....

calismum
16-05-2009, 10:45 PM
How very strange, I have never heard of this either. Can only assume along with DM that it was a bit of you.

pookyandjo
17-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Harri grooms OH's beard...and my hair and skin...we discussed it and decided that it's "Our Fur" .. maybe Kizzy saw the hair and decided that it needed grooming.. just a thought!

angieh
17-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Actually, she seems a bit off colour today and was sick in the night. I don't think she had time to swallow any of it, but can't help wondering if the things are connected. Her digestion is not what I would call robust.

dandysmom
17-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Now is she now, Angie? Has she eaten?

pookyandjo
18-05-2009, 02:46 AM
given that cats can't digest their won fur... i wonder if they can digest ours?.. i would think probably not at a guess...was there anything that looked like hair in her vomit?

angieh
18-05-2009, 02:16 PM
A catch-up on this thread - I have decided to give Kizzy biscuits only as the vet suggested - currently RC Digestive Comfort with sprinkles of granulated charcoal still. She polished off her "ration" yesterday and today - and has had no more sickness. Her poo this morning was much less smelly, but she is still "windy" poor lass. There was no hair or fur in the vomit - it looked like undigested food.

She's full of beans this morning and has been playing, I've groomed her and she's now fast asleep!

I hope that I can get to the source of her digestive problems, but I suppose that keeping her on a single food will help with any diagnosis. If there is no more sickness and her poos are normal, I will leave it until she has been on the single food for a while and take her back to the vet if she is still "smelly" - I can't believe that is normal for any cat.

She is increasing in confidence and now runs to meet people whose voice she recognises, like MIL's carer and her hairdresser (both cat lovers). She is a complete love - gentle, affectionate and playful.

Leesy
18-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Glad Kizzy is feeling alot better now, I think you are probably right about the hair eating as something to do with digestive upsets as Maxi who has bowel problems will also eat hair and even his own fur when I have brushed him given half a chance:shock: :shock: .

dinahsmum
18-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I hesitate to suggest yet another possible remedy or aid for Kizzy's delicate tum.
Maybe you could think about getting these (http://secure.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DG) but not trying them for a week or two? It looks like the type of herbal rememdy which shouldn't cause any harm, even if it should turn out that it doesn't actually do any good :roll:

Did you ever get a pot of cat-grass growing for her? That could help too, even if only by acting as an emetic when her stomach is uncomfortable

dandysmom
18-05-2009, 04:25 PM
I hesitate to suggest yet another possible remedy or aid for Kizzy's delicate tum.
Maybe you could think about getting these (http://secure.dorwest.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DG) but not trying them for a week or two? It looks like the type of herbal rememdy which shouldn't cause any harm, even if it should turn out that it doesn't actually do any good :roll:

Did you ever get a pot of cat-grass growing for her? That could help too, even if only by acting as an emetic when her stomach is uncomfortable

Interesting link, sounds as if it might be worth a try!

angieh
18-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for that link, DM - I shall have that on standby! As to the grass, I did mention it some time ago in another thread. Kizzy will be able to go out in a few days time and will be able to eat her own grass if she wants to.

More strange behaviour this afternoon! We had a visit from the Memory Nurse and Kizzy kept coming in to the room we were having our discussion in - the kitchen, where else? - and SHOWING OFF - it was quite blatant! She even got up into the sink, just to say - hey look I'm being a naughty cat and my people aren't taking any notice of me!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pookyandjo
19-05-2009, 01:55 AM
that's great Angie.. not so much for being bold... but for the fact that shes feeling confident and comfortable enough with strangers in the house to come out AND be a show off as well.. she obviously knows that you have her back!

dandysmom
19-05-2009, 02:41 AM
I quite agree ..she's really comfortable and at home now!!