PDA

View Full Version : What's in your salad?

calismum
12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
At work today we were discussing what to have for tonights meal. As it is nice and warm here today most people were having salad. That led to what kind of salad and I was amazed at the variety of what people put in their salads.

My basic is
chicken or fish
salad leaves
tomato
chives
cucumber
celery
peppers
tomatoes
baby boiled potatoes or rice or pasta
beetroot
coleslaw
hard boiled egg
french dressing

So - - what's in your salad??

angieh
12-05-2009, 07:55 PM
We had a very basic salad with our quiche tonight - tomato, cucumber and mixed salad leaves and I had some black olives.

dandysmom
12-05-2009, 08:24 PM
My standard salad:

mesclun
iceberg lettuce
shredded cabbage
radish
onion
celery
pepper (green, red or yellow)
tomato
chicken
cauliflower floret
aji picante (hot pickled pepper)

dressed with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with some fresh ground pepper and a dash of salt

calismum
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
We had a very basic salad with our quiche tonight - tomato, cucumber and mixed salad leaves and I had some black olives.

Not a great fan of olives, my sister however eats them with anything/everything:lol:

My standard salad:

mesclun
iceberg lettuce
shredded cabbage
radish
onion
celery
pepper (green, red or yellow)
tomato
chicken
cauliflower floret
aji picante (hot pickled pepper)

dressed with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with some fresh ground pepper and a dash of salt

Mmmm - sounds lovely, had to google mesclun tho' :lol:

dandysmom
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Not a great fan of olives, my sister however eats them with anything/everything:lol:

Mmmm - sounds lovely, had to google mesclun tho' :lol:

Sorry about that...it's what it's generally called here! :-D I never acquired a taste for olives. And I never get bored with the same old salad; when I had gastroenteritis a few years back I completely lost my appetite for 10 days or so (ME!!!!); when it finally came back it was that salad that actually tasted good!! :D

yola
12-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I tend to do 'warm' salads; tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, pepper (or a selection of), with roasted sweet potato/new potato and cauliflower/courgette with some kind of meat/fish/chicken - usually grilled or over baked. Sometimes I'll open a tin of beans - mixed, flageolet etc

Top it with basil or lemon olive oil. This we have about 3 nights out of the 7 if various guises.

Yum!!

pookyandjo
12-05-2009, 10:59 PM
We love salads... and do both... the normal and the warm....in fact we had a vietnamese beef salad for dinner last night YUM!

random
12-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I couldn't say as I eat quite a bit of salad and it all depends what it's going with, if it's a side or if it's lunch on it's own, I get bored easily so I always try and put something different in every time but one thing I don't like is it just being too complicated in my salad, I like a nice simple one, maybe 5 different things in it at a time. :lol:

Kim
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I love olives and coriander, so preferably will have both in a salad, plus lettuce, cucumber, etc.

dandysmom
13-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Most of you in the UK don't get a string of days in Summer in the low to mid 30s as we do here on the East Coast when it's too hot to think of cooking... this is a nice, filling simple cold salad, good with some crusty French bread and a glass of vino!

Pasta and White Bean Salad

about 2/3 cup cooked tubetti
about 2/3 cup navy beans*
about 1/4 cup diced pepper (green or red)
clove of garlic, minced
cherry tomatoes, halved (I use about 5 to 8, depending on size)
about 1/4 cup cilantro, stems removed.

Cook pasta per directions, Add vegetables and toss, chill and serve with vinegar, olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

*Recipe calls for canned beans: I do the overnight soak of beans and cook and cool before adding.

dandysmom
13-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Here's another cold salad for those of you who like spicy!

Szechuan Dan Dan Noodles

(these amounts are approximate as I got this recipe from the chef at my old favorite Chinese restaurant years ago which has since closed, alas!)

Chinese noodles (or spaghetti) about as much as you'd normally make for one or two
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp sugar
one or two scallions, thinly sliced
1 to 2 tbsps chili puree
cilantro (stems removed)
handful of crushed peanuts

Cook and drain noodles, mix the liquids and sugar (makes a thin runny sauce). Add to noodles, scallions and cilantro, sprinkle crushed peanuts, toss till well combined; refrigerate and let sit till flavors blend.

angieh
13-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for those recipes Eileen, sound yummy! (I also had to Google mesclun and cilantro!)

smokytopaz
13-05-2009, 12:05 PM
My salads can have everything in, but what I wanted to say was at the garden centre a couple of weeks ago they had a little polystyrene box planted with raddichio, and green lettuce. They called it cut and come again, and so far its great for a solo salad. Lovely and fresh.

Oh olives always go in my salad!

dandysmom
13-05-2009, 04:05 PM
My salads can have everything in, but what I wanted to say was at the garden centre a couple of weeks ago they had a little polystyrene box planted with raddichio, and green lettuce. They called it cut and come again, and so far its great for a solo salad. Lovely and fresh.

Oh olives always go in my salad!

I love raddichio too, it's in the mesclun mix, as well as frizee (sp?) I grow cilantro, but it bolts too quickly in rhe Summer .....