PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the vet

Tink
09-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, things went fairly well.
Baby Bear weighs in at a whopping 4.35 lbs.
Aspirated "bump" and Dr. Monroe showed me the slide of what came out. It appears to be fat so it is more than likely a fat pad/fatty tumor. We won't bother with it unless it grows. It may go away on its own as he loses his winter weight and trims up for summer so we'll just keep an eye on it.
She suggested a blood glucose to rule out insulinoma and I told her to go ahead and do the works, a complete work up just to make sure nothing else is going on. Lab results will be phoned in to me Monday.
Lainey weighs 2.2 lbs and the vet called her "a pistol", LOL. She is confirmed as not descented like I suspected and is in good health.

dandysmom
09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Good news, Tink, we can exhale now! So glad it's not a tumor. I didn't know ferrets needed to be de-scented like skunks! Are you going to have it done?

How is K?

Tink
09-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Good news, Tink, we can exhale now! So glad it's not a tumor. I didn't know ferrets needed to be de-scented like skunks! Are you going to have it done?

How is K?

Yep they're makeup is like a skunk but the smell is not so bad. Most ferrets are already descented. But usually breeders don't do it for health reasons and so I guess Lainey's didn't either. Which is good..the smell is not too bad and it's only when she is startled that she "poofs". It just smells like a stinky armpit:lol:
K is doing fine. A bit in denial I think. Talking about how he's going to return straight away to work after the surgery. Men:roll:

dandysmom
09-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Men!!! Why do they have to be so d**n macho!

angieh
09-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Glad to hear that there's nothing to worry about with baby bear. I did not know that ferrets were like skunks in the scent gland department. Good thing they are not so smelly - I presume males are worse (as per usual!)

Mags
10-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Pleased to hear it was nothing serious with BB....:D

pookyandjo
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
good news about BB... and i too have learnt something re ferretsand skunks with the smell situation... we dont have skunks in Australia...mind you we do have ferrets... in fact on of my school pals had twin brothers that kept ferrets...they had about5 of them between them... never thought they they were smelly... and im a bit of a "girly girl" in the smelly animal department

Leesy
11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Thats good news about BB, so pleased that it isn`t anything to be worried about:D