PDA

View Full Version : Big (dead) Tree trunk

ShorthairMartin
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm planning building an outdoor cat run to give Milo some fresh air and space. I have managed to source all of the materials I need to build it. I want to put a big tree in the corner and build some platforms on it, but cannot find anywhere (online) to get hold of a 6ft(ish) high old tree trunk. Has anyone got any ideas? Or has anyone got an old tree that they don't want any more hehe?

Thanks Peeps.

dandysmom
07-05-2009, 10:51 PM
How nice for Milo! I'm a great believer in a real bit of tree for scratching; have had one for my cats for years. Do you have a city agency there that comes around and cuts down old dead, dying trees? That's how I and my neighbor got ours for our cats. They will usually let you take what you want, at least they do here in Washington. Why not call them and see if tree removal is scheduled anywhere soon in an area that would be convenient for you. Good luck!

angieh
07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes, good luck with this exciting project for Milo. Will look forward to hearing about the progress. Hope you can source a suitable tree trunk. You could try your local Recycle group or look for tree surgeons in your local area.

dinahsmum
08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I think a chat with a tree surgeon might be the best way

yola
08-05-2009, 10:06 AM
That run sounds amazing! Hopefully you can source all the bits!

What about the local council? They must regularly cut down trees on the streets and in parks . . . or indeed tree surgeons.

pookyandjo
08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
sounds like it will be awesome when it's finished...you will have to post lots of pics of Milo testing it out!

ShorthairMartin
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Aye, I will check the yellow pages for local tree surgeons and give my council a bell. Thanks for the ideas.

I got some of the timber this morning... Do you think he knows what i'm planning for him? :)

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/3080/ssl21447.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6708/ssl21451.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9831/ssl21456.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/8759/ssl21458.jpg

angieh
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
His expression in that last photo would suggest he does!!! Wonderful!

dinahsmum
08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
You're very fortunate to have Milo overseeing the project for you!
With Quality Control like that you won't go wrong :)

pookyandjo
08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Im sure he does... his expression looks like...
"" I want it now!!!"

Mags
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
He's probably thinking "Cor! that's a lot of scratching posts for me!"

Leesy
08-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Martin your cats run sounds like it will be wonderful when it`s finished, the tree is a brill idea and Milo will love it for scratching.
We have one in our cat pen that we salvaged from up the road when they were chopping some trees down, my OH with the help of a neighbour fetched it down trimmed it so that it would fit in the pen then they concreted it into the floor, we also have shelves running around the edges of the pen and over the tree, wich they love to sit on and watch what`s going on.:D

dandysmom
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Martin your cats run sounds like it will be wonderful when it`s finished, the tree is a brill idea and Milo will love it for scratching.
We have one in our cat pen that we salvaged from up the road when they were chopping some trees down, my OH with the help of a neighbour fetched it down trimmed it so that it would fit in the pen then they concreted it into the floor, we also have shelves running around the edges of the pen and over the tree, wich they love to sit on and watch what`s going on.:D

Leesy, I'd love to see a pic of that pen, sounds super!

Leesy
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Weather is a bit naff wet and windy today so I will try and get some pics this weekend probs Sunday as we are away tomorrow at my mum and dads:D

ShorthairMartin
08-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Ooh me too... need ideas myself. At the minute its just a big rectangle with a tree. I was thinking about ramps/shelves, but I wouldn't mind doing platforms instead, so he has to jump his fat bum up to places (he needs exercise) :D

angieh
08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
I agree - sounds like a penthouse!

Leesy
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree - sounds like a penthouse!

LOL:D :D It certainly isn`t a penthouse but the cats do enjoy it in there.
Will def get some pics posted on Sunday when we get back.

Gumby Cat
08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
What a beautiful boy, I'm sure he's going to love his run. Good luck with the tree!

calismum
08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Great idea - he looks as if he approves.

smokytopaz
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I would like to see photos too, having discovered (before disaster) that Bengals can climb wooden fences. I thought I was fairly cat proofed, but the wooden fence down one side of the garden is so not!

smokytopaz
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I think Milo has decided that your measurements are way out! :cool: He just needs a yellow constructors helmet!:lol:

dandysmom
08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I would like to see photos too, having discovered (before disaster) that Bengals can climb wooden fences. I thought I was fairly cat proofed, but the wooden fence down one side of the garden is so not!

How high is your wooden fence? Mine is a six foot stockade one, and my Aby could get over it in a flash! :roll:

smokytopaz
08-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Yup 6 foot brick wall round three sides, and one side 6 foot lapped fencing I think it is called, 6foot by six foot and no holes, but oh so climable for a bengal!