PDA

View Full Version : I'm quitting smoking.

Tink
07-05-2009, 12:17 AM
OH was diagnosed with emphysema and an aortic annuerism today. They're even talking heart surgery:cry:
That is it. We are both quitting smoking. No more!

dandysmom
07-05-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about OH, Tink !! My Mom had emphysema, not nice ......

Leesy
07-05-2009, 07:30 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your OH Tink, these things are not nice and yes giving up smoking is a really good thing to do for both your health, thinking of you both X.

Mags
07-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Sorry to read about your OH, Tink...

I wish you both every success in giving up smoking, you will both be able to support each other through this.

yola
07-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Wow - poor your OH. Neither of these are at all good, especially the potential aneurism . . . I think as your OH is still young surgery is the best option as he doesn't want the threat of this hanging over him.

And stopping smoking is totally the right thing to do. You both have a massive incentive now and hopefully it'll prove not to difficult to manage.

pookyandjo
07-05-2009, 12:33 PM
a good decison to make at any stage... but with your OH being diagnosed with these problems...hopefully it will give you the extra incentive to quit.... plus... apart from the health benefits.... think of all the extra money you will have or fish and tanks!:)

angieh
07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
So sorry to hear about your OH's diagnosis Tink. All best wishes to you both for quitting smoking. Best thing I ever did.

Moli
07-05-2009, 01:10 PM
So sorry to hear about your OH Tink, thoughts with you both....
Stopping smoking was the best thing I ever did too...

Kim
07-05-2009, 05:57 PM
So sorry to hear about your OH. I have nursed patients with emphysema & COPD, both smoking related conditiions & not nice at all. Giving up smoking is definitely the best thing to do. I am sure you wll both feel the benefits quite quickly on your health and pocket!

Tink
11-05-2009, 05:20 AM
Starting day one of no smokes in several hours..pray for anyone who crosses my path:lol:
I've loaded up on lollipops and gum and am prepared to fight the good fight.
I may not be good company for several days:?

Leesy
11-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Starting day one of no smokes in several hours..pray for anyone who crosses my path:lol:
I've loaded up on lollipops and gum and am prepared to fight the good fight.
I may not be good company for several days:?

Wishing you lots of luck and hope you don`t get to grumbly;)

Mags
11-05-2009, 08:51 AM
You'll get lots of encouragement here, Tink.......... good luck!! :D

Phoenix
11-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Good luck Tink! ;)

calismum
11-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Hope it is not too bad a day for you. I gave up years ago and can honestly say I now feel so much better for having been through the cravings etc. Be strong, we are all here for support whenever you need it

Tink
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, I didn't buy the patch or anything so I let myself have one cigarette today. We have some loose tobacco and there was one tube left so I let myself have several puffs from 8am till now so I really stretched it out. I've hidden all the ashtrays and thrown all the butts in the trash so I won't be tempted. I've gone through half a bag of bubble gum though :lol:
I'm tired, it was hard to drink as much coffee as I'm used to without smoking. I'm running a little slower today and a little on edge but not as bad as I imagined.
I feel a little guilty about the one cigarette but considering how I usually smoke anywhere from one to three packs a day I guess that's a pretty big improvement.

PoshPuss
12-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Keep looking forward Tink and don't guilt out on the lapses.You have a mighty incentive so keep focused. Think of the positives, more money, better health etc

We'll encourage you in Catsey and there's lots of help in your community too, just ask around! You did a good thing trashing stuff, the cravings will be murder but you have the strength to cope I'm sure :) best of luck!!

pookyandjo
12-05-2009, 09:18 AM
is there any reason why you aren't using patches Tink?..Have never been a moker myself...but know lots who have quit and tried to... and i know that it's hard going... a lot of people i know have said it was a little easier using the patches....
Now that you have made the decision to quit... there are no rules that say you have to do it the hard way... maybe you should investigate some of the aids that can help you.... especially given all the stress you are going through with your OH...you dont want anything derailing your good intentions

Leesy
12-05-2009, 09:24 AM
You have done great Tink, I have never smoked myself but I know from various freinds who have, just how hard it can be to stop, I would certainly say you need to take it one day at a time some days you will probably find it easier than others to cope but it will get easier and you have one big incentive both you and your OH`s health.
Keep up the good work Pauline, Maxi & Maisy Xxx.:D

Samz5
12-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Well done for stopping!
I stopped smoking about 4 months ago, without gum or patches but I did read the Allen Carr book 'easyway for women to stop smoking' which I found really helped get my mind in the right place and it did make it quite easy to be honest, most of the smoking addiction is in the mind!
Keep focused and remind yourself that you've made the right choice to stop, it doesn't take long before it will feel normal to not smoke.

angieh
12-05-2009, 11:31 AM
You shouldn't feel guilty about one cigarette Tink! Don't beat yourself up. You need to focus on something very positive about giving up - and that's a personal motivational thing. Mine was the look on the face of the practice nurse at my surgery when I told her I'd stopped - her face lit up, she was so pleased for me. Every time I wanted a smoke, I thought of her smiling face and found the encouragement I needed in that thought.

Good luck - I'm cheering for you!:smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041

Tink
12-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Well, I messed up. My OH brought some tubes home last night so we could use up the loose tobacco we have kicking around. I was very annoyed last night because he worked till 11pm and when he walked through the door, took them out of his jacket, and lit up I just joined him. I feel guilty.:oops:
He left them sitting right here and I've had a few with my coffee. It's hard to quit when they're sitting right in front of me! I messed up:cry:

CathyW
18-05-2009, 11:37 PM
give it another try. but do it through the doctors, they will sort out a program for u to follow. i used patches, took me 4 months. but ive been a non-smoker for almost 4 yrs now. try the really strong mints when u get a craving, i found them helpful. but not too many as they tend to give u er hem wind lol
and get in touch with your local breath easy group. they are so supportive.
wish u luck
xxxx

angieh
19-05-2009, 08:05 AM
You've had a little stumble Tink, nothing more - don't kick yourself - just keep at it. Put the stuff away where you can't see it. Fill your day with other things. Use mints, patches whatever. I used ordinary sugar free gum. My best friend used the nicotine gum and got herself addicted to that! Good luck - keep with it.

Leesy
19-05-2009, 08:36 AM
You have not messed up at all Tink;) , you have just encounterd a little hiccup and it is not the end of the world, you just need to stay focused and like people have said use patches or chew gum etc. and don`t give up as in the end you will succeed and feel so much better for having done it:D :D .
It will not be easy but you will do it;)