PDA

View Full Version : Calling all cake makers!

MrsH
06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
My cake and bun tins are all terribly old and really showing their age. They don't clean easily, not even in the dish washer. The so-called non-stick ones don't work anymore, so.........

I was thinking of buying some new silicone ones, they can go in the freezer, microwave oven and the normal oven and have a temperature range of -40C to 240C. They're lightweight so when they drop on my head from the top shelf of my tall cupbooard, they're not going to hurt ;)

But, are they too good to be true? has anyone tried these? Because they're flexible, you have to use them on a baking tray but I don't see that as a problem. They are rather expensive but I'm going to have to replace my old ones anyway. Any opinions?

Mags
06-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Never tried them but I'll also be interested to hear from anyone who has..... :D

angieh
06-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi MrsH - I am afraid I can't comment on the silicone bakeware, but I have recently bought new non stick bakeware from this company and have no complaints. The products have a good professional feel to them - but they probably would hurt if they dropped on your head! However I see the company does do silicone cake tins etc. and I have no reservations with recommending the company. I have found their delivery to be very quick.

http://www.cookshop.uk.com/index.html

MrsH
06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll go and look at their site.

dinahsmum
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd also be inetersted to hear if anyone can recommend silicone. They do seem too good to be true, including being collapsible/telescopic and thus not being totally unwieldy in the cupboard.

pookyandjo
07-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I have used silicone muffin pans and had great success with them... BUT.... (there's always a but)...i do use paper patty pans in them because i like to freeze the muffins and i find that they thaw better when they are in the paper patty pans...
I do have a silicone slab pan... which i use for making lamingtons and its works fine... but again... when you make lamingtons you are cutting up the cake... dipping it in chocolate or raspberry jelly (depending on what flavour you are making) and then in the the coconut...so the surface of the cake isn't visible...
what i have found with the silicone pans is they cook the cake evenly but you dont get that ever so slightly crisp base and sides in silicone that you get in a metal pan