PDA

View Full Version : Bicarbonate of Soda

calismum
04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I use this quite a lot in kitchen. I was thinking today that when I was young my mother used it for loads of things.

Does anyone else use - and if you do, what for?

Elaine
04-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I use it when I am cleaning the fridge. I also use it on occasion, when the cats are outside, on the rug and bedroom carpet as well as the sofa and matress, followed by a good hoover. I find it helps reduce odours. Not that we are smelly people you understand:lol:

Mags
04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's some tips to go on with,,;)

http://www.thegreenstoreonline.co.uk/default.aspx/Page/118

http://www.thelosthaven.co.uk/BSoda.htm

calismum
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I use it when I am cleaning the fridge. I also use it on occasion, when the cats are outside, on the rug and bedroom carpet as well as the sofa and matress, followed by a good hoover. I find it helps reduce odours. Not that we are smelly people you understand:lol:

never thought of using it on carpets etc. Must try that - thanks

Here's some tips to go on with,,;)

http://www.thegreenstoreonline.co.uk/default.aspx/Page/118

http://www.thelosthaven.co.uk/BSoda.htm

Wow - never knew you could do all that with it. Thanks Mags

dandysmom
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Those were very interesting links, Mags! I use it in the fridge to prevent odors, and brush my teeth occasionally with it if I'm low on toothpaste. That hint about using it when you've got a badly burned pan is great!

Elaine
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Those were very interesting links, Mags! I use it in the fridge to prevent odors, and brush my teeth occasionally with it if I'm low on toothpaste. That hint about using it when you've got a badly burned pan is great!

Did you burn the dinner Eileen?:lol:

dandysmom
04-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Lol, just the rice a while back! I tend to do it by eye: add the rice and what looks like the right amount of water, but either miscalculated or left it on too long.... quite a mess! Although the rice cooker will turn itself automatically when that happens, so isn't really dangerous. But left me cussing at my own stupidity! :roll: :-D

angieh
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Those links were very interesting Mags - thanks!

I used to use a teaspoonful of bicarb in warm water as a remedy for tummy ache.

pookyandjo
05-05-2009, 03:20 AM
great thread... have saved those linked pages to my favs as i know i will use the tips on them quite a bit... thanks! :)

Kazz
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
My Mom and I have to say me and my sister now....;) add a little bicarb when cooking green cabbage...I beleive it keeps the colour I think its to do with waste not want not sort of 30's upbringing...eat what you can get. It also adds the colour to older carrots too.

Mom also adds bicarb when washing the nets she soaks them in bicarb before washing....
Nan used to do the same to sheets and table cloths white ones...........My Mom has said neighbours would class the cleanlesness of your sheets on the line, and your front door.

Mags
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
My Mom and I have to say me and my sister now....;) add a little bicarb when cooking green cabbage...I beleive it keeps the colour I think its to do with waste not want not sort of 30's upbringing...eat what you can get. It also adds the colour to older carrots too.

Mom also adds bicarb when washing the nets she soaks them in bicarb before washing....
Nan used to do the same to sheets and table cloths white ones...........My Mom has said neighbours would class the cleanlesness of your sheets on the line, and your front door.
I also used to add bicarb to the saucepan when cooking cabbage years ago but don't bother now as I steam everything and it keeps its colour that way.

jan
05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I had a leaking 4 pint plastic bottle of milk (no,Idid nt know it was leaking when I bought it lol) and it tipped up in the car foot well. It was a very hot summer day and tho I cleaned it with carpet cleaner it stank to high heaven of sour yogurt! For months and months, despite repeated cleaning, and then I used bicarb diluted, let it dry and then rinsed it well away and yep! That took away the odour - thank goodness. J x

MrsH
06-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I was told that adding bicarb to vegetables destroys vitamins. Anyone know if this is true?

Mags
06-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I was told that adding bicarb to vegetables destroys vitamins. Anyone know if this is true?
I didn't realise that MrsH ....... it's never too late to learn! :D

http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/foodc/vegetables.html

angieh
06-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that link Mags. Coincidentally, I am beginning to try food combining - and find it beneficial so far.

Mags
06-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for that link Mags. Coincidentally, I am beginning to try food combining - and find it beneficial so far.
Sounds good Angie, what exactly are you combining?

angieh
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
It's really more what not to eat together Mags. As your link indicated, according to the Hay diet, there are three basic types of foods: proteins, carbohydrates and fruit/veg (very basic - which is where I am atm!). You should not eat proteins and carbos together and, as far as I have worked out so far, fruit should be eaten on its own. You can eat protein with veg or veg with carbos. I suffer from IBS and over the last week that I have been following these "rules", my stomach has felt so much better.

Mags
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
It's really more what not to eat together Mags. As your link indicated, according to the Hay diet, there are three basic types of foods: proteins, carbohydrates and fruit/veg (very basic - which is where I am atm!). You should not eat proteins and carbos together and, as far as I have worked out so far, fruit should be eaten on its own. You can eat protein with veg or veg with carbos. I suffer from IBS and over the last week that I have been following these "rules", my stomach has felt so much better.
Interesting .......... my OH suffers with stomach problems so this may help him too ;)

dinahsmum
06-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Put a couple of drops of lavender or tea tree oil into a tub of bicarb and give it a good shake. Sprinkle the powder over the carpet, leave it a while - overnight is good but an hour will be fine - vaccuum up. Gets rid of nasty niffs but doesn't cause allergy/irritation problems like proprietary brand carpet fresheners.

(You don't have to add the oil if you don't like it)