PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Elderly Puss

jan
03-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Tess has just turned 15. She s always been a bit overweight, (my vet once said its no use trying to turn a Dawn French into a Kate Moss) but steadily over the last year or so she s walking more awkwardly, and jumping up and down more carefully, and by the way she walks it looks very much like she s got a touch of arthiritis. I have been told by my local chemist who also stocks vetinary products I can safely give her 500 mg a day of glucosamine, which I have yet to try, has anyone else tried this or have any tips to help? I know her losing a bit of weight will probably help too, but she s a house cat so how easy is that? Felix is also overweight, at 5.25kg last weighing and the vet said 5 kg would be better,but he does nt even seem to eat much really! Another house cat, how do all you other folk with house cats keep them slim and trim? Any advice would be gratefully received re the arthiritis and the weight issues! Jx

Leesy
03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry Jan can`t really help you with that question as mine are still only kittens and are at the skinny kitten age and I am trying to fatten them up abit ;) :lol:

calismum
03-05-2009, 06:46 PM
It is a real problem if they are not active. My Misty was a house cat and I fed her small meals 4 times a day. This seemed to stop her looking for food at other times. I tried to encourage her to excercise on her frame etc. but when she was older she didn't want to do that.

There are quite a few house cat owners who I am sure will have other advice for you.

I expect you can get low calorie food for cats too.

dandysmom
03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I didn't know about glucosamine for cats when Misty was alive, unfortunately; but would not hesitate a moment to try it now. I take it myself for my arthritis, and it really works; I rarely ever have a flare up; can say the same for my friends who also use it. Discuss it with your vet for the proper dosage. Undoubtedly taking off some weight will help her, but that's easier said than done with a sedentary house cat!

I agree with frequent small meals, do that for my sedentary 14 pound girl 10 years old, and she's stabilized at 14 pounds for some years now (she's a big cat). Have you tried getting her to play with one of those
feather on a stick toys? Or a laser pen? Throwing a ping ping ball for her to chase?

Good luck, please let us know how she's doing!

yola
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
I have the opposite problem; old house cats who are loosing weight despite eating regularly :? Sorry I can't help, but would be interested in hearing the outcome of your findings.

jan
05-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi all,thanks for your replies. Tess is quite playful still, but the most exercise she really gets is running from Felix when he gets a bit bossy now and then, and even jumping onto the worktop and then onto the cooker hood, then onto the cupboard tops away from him. (For some reason dopey Felix does not try to follow her lol). She then proceeds to swear (hiss!) loudly at him while he continues to gaze at her. I shall have to try the ping pong ball again as they do bounce lovely on my laminate flooring - I reckon someone should invent a giant hamster wheel for cats!! Perhaps if there was a "mouse" placed strategically on it they could chase it for hours. (Imagine the noise!!) Jan x

Tink
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
May I ask what you are feeding her?

jan
06-05-2009, 07:43 PM
She has the senior wet cat food mainly, with a few senior Iams or equivalent dry food at her evening meal too,spinkled on top. She does nt seemto eat a huge amount at one sitting, but she is a begger, sits like a meer cat and begs tit bits from us at meal times, and she s had about five small pieces of my gammon tonight. So maybe its the treats I should cut out. Its hard though to deprive her when she s pleading with you! Jx

angieh
06-05-2009, 07:48 PM
It would help her if you could cut out her "treats" Jan! I know it's hard.

dandysmom
06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Or cut down a wee bit on her food so she could still have a few treats .......