PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie! -neutropenia

Gumby Cat
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello everyone, I live in S.E. UK and I am now owned by a lovely Burmese/Siamese X cat called Solomon, but he has a worrying problem.

He had a blood test following teeth extractions in January and this showed that he has a low white cell blood count known as neutropenia. I was persuaded to let him have a bone marrow biopsy last week to see what was causing it, I was told it could be one of three things - Feline AIDS, leukaemia or histoplasmosis. Although the results came through this week they were inconclusive, the lab said there wasn't enough of the sample to make a diagnosis, and the poor soul has to go through another op this coming week which I'm not at all happy about. He seems well enough in himself, always ready for something to eat but wants to go out and this is not allowed for the time being so he's very frustrated.

I wondered whether anyone else here has had a similar problem and if so, what was the outcome?

angieh
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/Catsey/001-1-1.jpg

I am terribly sorry to hear that Solomon is unwell. I am afraid that I have no experience of any of the conditions you mention. I am sure another member will be along shortly who may be able to help. I do have fingers and toes crossed for your cat.

Mags
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
So sorry to hear about Solomon, I too, am unfamiliar with those conditions ....... I'm hoping one of our members will be able to offer you some help.

Welcome to Catsey by the way......

pinklizzy
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi,
Sorry to hear Solomon has been unwell. Has he had any blood tests for FIV or FeLV prior to the bone marrow prior to the bone marrow biopsy? This can done either with an in-house 'snap-test' or bloods sent to an external laboratory.
From what I understand, Histioplasmosis is a fungal infection which can cause enlarged lymph nodes, laboured breathing, pale mucous membranes etc. Diagnosis would usually involve chest radiographs and possibly a fine needle aspirate of the enlarged lymph nodes.
A further bone marrow biopsy seems a very invasive procedure to undertake before these tests have been carried out? I hope you are able to talk to your vet next week and hopefully get some more answers.
Lots of love to Solomon.
Lxx

Gumby Cat
02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your good wishes, lovely photo of Kizzy, Angie.

Solomon has had several blood tests since January which keep showing different levels of white blood cells. Presumably FIV and FetV were included in at least one of the tests, they weren't mentioned at all. Apparently the white cell reading should be 2.6, at one point it went down to 1.7 but it seems to vary a lot. All I've been told is that the condition is called neutropenia which seems to be a sort of blanket name for several different diseases. Sol certainly doesn't have laboured breathing and the x-rays he's had didn't show up anything abnormal. So it looks like it's a case of just having to wait and see which I'm finding stressful to say the least. I always thought that leukaemia meant a high white cell blood count, not low, but perhaps it's different for animals?

pookyandjo
03-05-2009, 03:09 AM
Welcome to Catsey! Sorry you are having health worries with Solomon...but i speak from experience when i say that you will get lots of support from the people on Catsey. I hope the vets can sort out his problem and get him fighting fit again..

Jo, George and Princess Harri

Elaine
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Poor Solomon and poor you, must be a very stressful and worrying time for you both.
I dont have any experience of the condition and I agree with Pinklizzy that it all sounds very invasive for Solomon, especially if other avenues have not been taken first. I'd probably call and talk with the vet, asking if these particular blood test were done and what the results were, I do not trust the snap tests but that is my personal opinion.
I have always been a beleiver in being as pro active as I can when it comes to my cats and their well being, so it might not be a bad idea for you to try and read up on the conditions mentioned in order for you to be able to ask your vet as many niggling questions as you feel necessary. It might help you to understand exactly whats going on and what your options may be.
http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/Medicine/Canine-and-feline-histoplasmosis-A-review-of-a-wid/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/516502?contextCategoryId=8678
http://www.pethealth101.com/feline_leukemia/feline_leukemia.shtml?atvsearchstring=Feline+Leuke mia&pagenum=2
http://www.healthgene.com/vdl/d413.asp
I have found a few links which may or may not be of use to you and I sincerely wish you both well xxx

Leesy
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey, sorry to hear that you are having these problems with Solomon, they are such a worry :( , hopefully his problem will be diaganosed soon and the treatment necessary administered.
Can`t really offer any advice myself but there seems to have been plenty given already, good luck and hope to hear some good news soon:)

Gumby Cat
03-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the links Elaine. I don't think myself Sol has got histoplasmosis, he doesn't seem to show any of those symptoms, but I suppose it could be one of the other two connected with neutropenia.

It's very wearing having to keep him in all the time, he can't get used to being an indoor cat as he does love to go out and patrol his territory, occasionally having a bust-up with his arch-enemy, a large black boy who lives nearby! He's on Synulox antibiotics at the moment, a quarter tablet twice a day which I think is starting to give him diarrhoea as it isn't a very pleasant job cleaning out his litter tray - something I'm not used to as he's always gone out to do his "do's" before!

They are all very fond of him at the vet's as he is a friendly puss and normally looks rather beautiful. Not quite so good at the moment as he had a lot of fur shaved off prior to the last op. which is just starting to grow again but I suppose it will all have to come off again :(

Oh well, che sera sera. If this biopsy doesn't show up anything positive I'm definitely not going to allow him to go through it all yet again.

dandysmom
03-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi and welcome to Catsey; sorry your first visit was with sad news about Solomon, who sounds a lovely boy. I too am unfamiliar with his problem; and hope something can be done to help him.

Gumby Cat
07-05-2009, 05:27 PM
My boy had his second bone marrow operation today which I've been told he has come through OK, and is being brought home later this evening (I don't have transport). I imagine he'll have to be kept in again until the results come through and his staple-stitches are removed. I only hope the vet managed to get enough sample out this time.

It will be great to have him back - a house is not a home without a cat....

Leesy
07-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I certainly hope that the vet has got enough this time as it must be very traumatic for Solomon, please give him a big cuddle from the Leesy household X.

dandysmom
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
And a gentle cuddle from me too; poor Solomon!

angieh
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Cuddles and get well vibes from me and Kizzy too.

Gumby Cat
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the good wishes and cuddles for Solomon! He was ravenously hungry when he came back last night and again this morning, but I did notice that this time he didn't have staples, just the ordinary sort which he kept worrying at. Sure enough by lunch time today I could see that he had removed them and the wound was bleeding - panic! I rang the vets and was told to bring him straight down. He was re-stitched with staples and - horror of horrors - was fitted with a plastic collar which he has to keep on until the stitches come out in about ten days' time. I was told he would get used to it but he hasn't shown much sign of doing so as yet, in fact, he nearly went beserk earlier on, blundering into things and generally getting throughly bad-tempered.

He is asleep at the moment, and I managed to take a photo of him, at least it doesn't show his bald bits much!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/anne-marie_2006/Solincollar.jpg

Leesy
08-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Awwww bless poor Solomon looks so fed up lay there, mind you I don`t think I would like a collar like that around my neck.
((BIG HUGS)) Xxx.

dandysmom
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
They do hate those collars, don't they? What a pity he pulled out his stitches and has to wear it. He looks so disgruntled in that pic, poor fellow.

cats' staff
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh poor thing looks fed up. It is so hard when they look at you like that and you just want them to understand it's because you love them!

pookyandjo
09-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Gumby, have you looked into getting a special vest for Solomon... they are called medical Pet Shirts and the are a bit like a baby's grow suit for pets..(with the legs cut out of course!).. They are designed to be used by animals after surgical prcedures to stop them removing stiches and also to provide support to the suture line...depending on wheré Solomons incision is the suit may cover it so he wouldn't have to wear a collar... they are designed so they can toilet in them as well... come in lots of different sizes and are machine washable..

yola
09-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh poor Solomon . . . he looks very sorry for himself there in his collar and rightly so, he's been through quite a lot!

I had a cat with FIV. I 'inherited' him as a stray who moved in!! He lived happily alongside my other two and settled to being predominently indoor by choice. The vets tested him when I took him in for a head injury he sustained whilst still living rough and they were both surprised and grateful that I took him on despite this!

I'm no expert as he showed no actual symptoms other than being more susceptible to sneezes, infections and his ear polyps which became infected more and more frequently.

He came through a very serious operation to create a new ear canal but it was a routine dental that finally beat him - he didn't wake up :(

So, although I can't help with specific symptoms of FIV, the overriding thing for me was Ferdy's inability to cope with general health things that hardly bothered my other cats.

Just a couple of things that might help with identifying whether he might be FIV . . . Have you had Solomon from a kitten? Was he a rescue? Is he neutered? Did he fight a lot?

Gumby Cat
09-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your suggestion re pet shirts, Pooky. I had a look on Google but it rather looks as if they're not in common use here although they sound like a good idea. I'd have to ask the vet about them as there doesn't seem to be an option for buying one online.

Yola, no I haven't had Solomon from a kitten, he's about 8 or 9 now, but it seems his owners moved and left him behind, by which time he had decided that he preferred my pad to his own anyway! Having lost my own two cats by then I was happy to take him on. Little did I know then what I was letting myself in for! Had he been mine from the start I would have made sure that his early vaccinations included the one for FIV which I always did with my previous kittens.

Yes, he is a fighter and has been neutered. You can't really see in the photograph but he has a tattered ear, legacy of an almighty set-to with a cat that lives nearby a few years ago. I remember dashing out to break it up and then bathing poor Sol's ear with warm salt water. He gave as good as he got though, I heard later that the other cat had to be treated for an abscess!

He is still having difficulty getting used to that collar, especially when it comes to eating as he needs to put his head right down so that the rim of the hood part encircles the saucer, and he can't seem to get the hang of doing that. I hope he gets the right idea soon, I can see both of us ending up nervous wrecks otherwise! :roll:

dandysmom
09-05-2009, 08:08 PM
If my memory is right I think our Moli has used those shirts for her cats. I don't know if she got them from the vet or on line. PinkLizzie might know also; hope one of then comes on, or you could PM them.

Edited: I just PMd Moli re this.

yola
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Gumby Cat - where in Berkshire are you? Just curious incase you're in my locale because the vets I use have been (over the past 12 years) a huge source of knowledge and reassurance with the FIV and with other issues I've had with my total of 5 cats over the years.

PM me if you're more comfortable . . .

pookyandjo
10-05-2009, 12:51 AM
If my memory is right I think our Moli has used those shirts for her cats. I don't know if she got them from the vet or on line. PinkLizzie might know also; hope one of then comes on, or you could PM them.

Edited: I just PMd Moli re this.

Yeah Dm... I think Moli has used them...they are hard to get here too gumby... but some vets do have them...Tinky had one after one of his surgerier earlier this year...... they are fabulous... you just have to make sure you get the right size...he was a really stressy cat and tolerated them very well...good luck

Moli
10-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I always use t-shirts for the animals, both dogs and cats...
This is the link for some new idea, my vets have them at the mo, so think they will be quite easy to obtain....

http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/pages/44uk_index.html (http://www.medicalpetshirts.com/pages/44uk_index.html)

Gumby Cat
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Sol managed to remove his collar last night! With the help of a friend we managed to push it back on again much to his annoyance, but this morning while I was having breakfast he shed it again! This time I made the decision to leave it off as he's obviously got the knack of pulling it over his head by shaking it violently and clawing at the collar so there's really not much point. He's so much happier without it, the staple stitches are still in place and he doesn't appear to be worrying away at the wound which looks nice and healthy. I dabbed it with some dilute Savlon but it's not oozing at all. I'll keep an eye on it of course, but as long as he's kept in he shouldn't come to much harm - I hope!

I will ask the vet about the medical shirt although I doubt whether he would take too kindly to that either! At the moment I'm housebound myself as I'm desperately fighting a cold so am not anxious to go out if I can help it.

Gumby Cat
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi, I thought I'd let you know that the results of Sol's bone marrow biopsy have finally come through. The good news is that he hasn't got FLV but does have auto-immune deficiency (FIV?) He now has to go on a course of steroids for three weeks, after which they will take another blood test to see how his white blood cells are reacting. Meanwhile I still have to keep him indoors to which he takes great exception, particularly this weather!

yola
02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi - I had a cat with FIV, if you need any questions answered I'll try and help. Contrary to popular belief it's not a death sentence and cats can live long and happy lives with the condition. All the best to you both.

farthing
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi,
sorry to hear Sol has FIV, sadly there is no vaccine for it so you couldn't really have prevented it, other than stopping him fighting- not an easy thing.
I lost a 5 year old cat, Trigger, to the effects of FIV last year, this is how I found Catsey. He was pretty much healthy most of the time we had him, even lost a leg, but started to catch more and more infections and finally started to retain water. At this point we had to PTS. Just after, we were asked to take on a 13 year old cat, it turned out (after a blood test) she was also FIV.
We keep her seperate for the other cats, although Trigger, interacted with them all the time and non of them were FIV positive. She is doing really well, and we've had her a year. The only thing I do is if she seems the slightest bit out of sorts, whip her into the vets as she is immuno suppressed.
I would say, to be fair to other cats, he should be kept in from now on, it means he can't pass it on, and it will also reduce the risk of him picking anything us from outside.
From what I've read it doesn't mean the end for them, and they can live many years, happily with it. I certainly wouldn't avoid taking in another cat, just because it was FIV.

Gumby Cat
05-06-2009, 04:15 PM
If the steroids have the desired effect and increase his white blood cell count, wouldn't it be safe to let him out then? It's going to make his life (and mine!) a misery if he has to be kept in for the rest of his life, he's so used to bheing out in the garden. It was particularly trying during the recent warm spell as I daren't open the windows wide. Twice I caught him trying to get out of the bathroom window, knocking plants from the window sill into the bath in the attempt which didn't do them much good! Luckily it's a small window and not quite big enough for him. I imagine he'll have to go on taking steroids for evermore, fortunately, crushed up and mixed with his food he's getting them down OK. The vet did warn they would probably increase his appetite and they've certainly done that although I'm trying to make sure he doesn't eat too much and get overweight. :roll:

farthing
05-06-2009, 04:36 PM
If he has FIV, I personally think it would be unfair to allow him out as his immunity would be lowered, but he can also infect other cats. It would be irresponsible as far as i'm concerned. This is the reason most CPL branches PTS cats who have FIV, its because they should be kept inside and most people won't do it. Our own vets are very against keeping FIV cats and they were only happy to let me take Tabatha because they trust me to keep her in.
I have lots of indoor cats, who were outdoor- 2 semi feral ones- they need to be kept in for health reasons and they have all settled very well to it.
Try a feliway diffuser it might help calm him while he gets used to his new lifestyle.

Elaine
05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Poor kitty has been through an awful lot to have FIV confirmed. I am not an expert but I cannt understand why your vet has put the poor animal through two bone marrow biopsies to get that diagnosis. Surely the blood tests would have been enough, even the in-house ones ( I know they can produce false possitives but false negatives are extremely rare, as far as I know.)
I wouldnt be letting him outdoors but there is the possibility of buyi9ng or making a cat run for him, maybe even cat proof your garden...

pinklizzy
05-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear that it has been confirmed that Sol has FIV. I hope that you are able to find some way to give him some outdoor access although it is advisable not to let him have any contact with other cats due to the risk of infection.
Like Elaine, I'm still unsure as to why your vet recommended carrying out a bone marrow biopsy in order to confirm the condition as it is usually easily confirmed by a PCR blood screen.