PDA

View Full Version : Supermarkets flea/worm treatment.

kado
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello all. I was in my local Asda today at there chemist and couldnt believe what i saw for sale. They have started selling frontline and Drontal. If i cant get to the vets i would get it from somewhere like P@H or similar but i dont know if they should sell it. At least P@H will know something about cats and dogs but Asda. What's all of you thoughts on it.

angieh
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I suppose that as both are widely available for sale on the Internet, Asda has decided to sell them too.

In my area, Frontline is no longer as good as it was (there is an article about in on my vet's website) and it seems that the fleas are building up resistance.

I'd be interested in comparing prices for Drontal, which I do use.

I appreciate your concern Jane about a prospective buyer not being able to ask staff for advice - "buyer beware" applies probably.

dinahsmum
02-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Our local pharmacy has been selling Panacur etc for quite some time. I suspect the only supermarkets which sell worm/flea treatments will be those with in-store pharmacies, so the pharmacist may be able to offer some advice as to how to read the instructions. They won't be able to give anything resembling 'veterinary advice' though - I'm sure that would be unethical.

smudgley
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
They have recently changed the status of frontline to enable shops to sell it. But Drontal is a POM and is against the law to sell it in a supermarket. If it's not POM then it is certainly POM - V (or whatever it's called) which basically measn it should be dispensed only by a trained allocated person, therefore if not prescribed by a vet, then bought from a store where a trained person can advise about it..

jan
03-05-2009, 06:09 PM
My local chemist stocks a wide range of vetinary products, including Drontal worming tablets -not sure they are that cheap but sure to be cheaper than the vets round the corner. I had nt noticed these products at our local Asda when I went Friday - presuming they are in the pet care aisles. Shall have a good look next time! Jx