PDA

View Full Version : Local school pupil....

Sweet
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Just heard on the news that a local school pupil - 10 minutes from where I live has gone down with Swine Flu.

Julie x

alexgirl73
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I can imagine the state of panic that has put the local population into!

Annestaff
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Is the the one from Downend school?, just caught the last of it on the news.

Mags
01-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, that's the one Anne, she is home now and feels well...

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Bristol-girl-catches-swine-flu/article-956652-detail/article.html

Sweet
01-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Downend - yes Anne.

Julie x

dandysmom
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Scary! Are they closing the school?

Sweet
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, Eileen the school is closed, one of my Sons friends has some lessons there for his A Levels and they were told today. There is alot of schools in the near proximity, not sure if they will close them.....still hoping we can return to Mexico in the Summer.

Julie x

dandysmom
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Yes, Eileen the school is closed, one of my Sons friends has some lessons there for his A Levels and they were told today. There is alot of schools in the near proximity, not sure if they will close them.....still hoping we can return to Mexico in the Summer.

Julie x

They've closed two schools in close-by Maryland; many in New York and Texas. Hope it doesn't spread in your area!

smudgley
02-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Someone in Redditch has it and we have a lot of our dogs placed in Redditch homes, people are very scared in the area.

yola
02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Whilst serious, I do think the media are whipping it up a little more than they need to. All cases outside of Mexico have been non-fatal (the child that died in Texas travelled from Mexico and was already unwell) and a lot milder than those in Mexico.

As long as precautions are being taken such as immunization, closing affected schools etc I think there is no need for mass panic. Even the poor girl who got it in Devon is 'unwell but at home' and the folks in Scotland are also at hom rather than in hospital.

I really pity those who were hoping for a holiday in Mexico, their holiday plans are now well and truly scuppered.

Just editing to say - approximately 15,000 people die in the UK from flu and complications arising from flu EACH YEAR. Whilst potentially a worry, Swine Flu does need to be kept in perspective . . .

dandysmom
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Whilst serious, I do think the media are whipping it up a little more than they need to. All cases outside of Mexico have been non-fatal (the child that died in Texas travelled from Mexico and was already unwell) and a lot milder than those in Mexico.

As long as precautions are being taken such as immunization, closing affected schools etc I think there is no need for mass panic. Even the poor girl who got it in Devon is 'unwell but at home' and the folks in Scotland are also at hom rather than in hospital.

I really pity those who were hoping for a holiday in Mexico, their holiday plans are now well and truly scuppered.

Just editing to say - approximately 15,000 people die in the UK from flu and complications arising from flu EACH YEAR. Whilst potentially a worry, Swine Flu does need to be kept in perspective . . .

But there is no immunization for this new strain. They are working on one which with luck will be available by September in case this outbreak follows the usual pattern and returns in a second wave, as did the pandemic of 1918. The shot people got for this season's flu doesn't ward off the new one. I got the shot for the swine flu that came in the 70s, but doubt if it would be of any help with this one after the long passage of time.

I do agree thst it does need to be kept in perspective however, over 30,000 people die annually here from the seasonal flu .....

angieh
02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I do tend to agree with Yola - the media are hyping this and causing a lot of the panic. I hear that the Egyptian government is going to slaughter all the pigs in that country - surely that's over-reaction.

yola
02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Then it begs the question why they are bothering to innoculate all the year group of the Devon girl which was taken ill.

Why has the govt (as if I don't know the answer) been banging on about having enough vaccine to protect 50% of the population?

Spin, media and politcal manipulation.

I notice today that Mexico have downgraded their death toll . . .

dandysmom
02-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Then it begs the question why they are bothering to innoculate all the year group of the Devon girl which was taken ill.

Why has the govt (as if I don't know the answer) been banging on about having enough vaccine to protect 50% of the population?

Spin, media and politcal manipulation.

I notice today that Mexico have downgraded their death toll . . .

That puzzles me also, Yola; all I know is that the Public Health officials here say there is no immunization against this strain, as it's a new combination of human, avian and swine viruses.

The incidence of new cases in Mexico has fallen off also.....