PDA

View Full Version : Kizzy's Diet

angieh
30-04-2009, 02:31 PM
OK - before you start reading this can I remind you that my lovely old Merlin had been eating more or less the same senior food for absolutely ages and so I have forgotten more than I care to admit about normal adult cat feeding.

At the CP, Smudgely tells me that she was eating RC kibbles (not sure which variety) and Felix. Her foster mother told me that the wet food made her runny, so then she was eating only kibble.

Before we got her home, she started with the very smelly wind, which you all know about - good thing we don't have "smellapc" yet! When we got her home, she seemed fine to continue with kibble (which was a right mixture of stuff I'd had in a tin for quite a while) but I had in mind to change her diet to what I considered to be a good one - Nature's Menu wet and Applaws dry. But after her windy problem I went to the shop and bought a trial bag of RC Digestive Comfort - anything I thought to myself that would help her tummy to settle down. She loved the RC and ate it in preference to the Applaws or the wet food and of course, being a small bag, it ran out quite quickly. Then on Tuesday evening she was very runny and also yesterday morning, so I withdrew all food and just made sure she had fresh water, which she was drinking. But yesterday afternoon poor lass was obviously very hungry, so I poached her some white fish which she polished off. Later in the evening she was still hungry and so frantic rummaging in the cupboard and I came up with 2 sachets of Almo Nature, one chicken and one chicken and cheese and tried her on the chicken. (Merlin wouldn't touch it!) Kizzy however loved it and ate the whole sachet before going off to sleep with, I hoped, a comfier tummy. Her poo this morning was firm (although horribly smelly!) and she ate the chicken and cheese for breakfast. My online order for the RC Digestive Comfort arrived mid morning and before I had unpacked it, Kizzy was there and so had some more of that. She seems to be a different little cat now, full of play and energy - we will see if this continues, as I have to say that her lack of energy was worrying me as I thought a young cat would be more playful and active for at least a few hours per day.

So, we have been out and bought more of the Almo Nature. Is it possible that a higher protein food can upset a cat's digestive system, although one might think that it was actually a better food?

Sorry this is long and rambling - I think I'd better go through it all before I submit!

dinahsmum
30-04-2009, 02:40 PM
It was long - but not terribly rambling Angie; at least I found it interesting.

My only practical experience is that I stopped feeding Whiskas Kitten (wet) and went onto Adult because the kitten (and presumably high protein) food had a fierce effect on the belly. That was a while ago - not with my current chaps, or the two girls before them, if I remember correctly. However, i'm sure I've seen posts here from people with kiittens with runny botts, who've been advised to go adult.

I'm pleased to heat Kizzy's tum is (generally) better. If she is producing foul wind she could well have stomach gripes too and not feel like playing.

dandysmom
30-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I found it interesting also. I'm really not competent to comment on this as I've been fortunate enough that none of mine have ever had digestive and bowel problems. Picky eaters and non picky ones alike have been spared that. I guess it comes down to trial and error, finding one that both suits her and doesn't cause problems. Wish I could be more helpful. BTW, did you try the charcoal, would she eat it and did it help?

Leesy
30-04-2009, 05:45 PM
If she seems fine with the RC Digestive Comfort and the Almo Nature I would stick with them, I think sometimes if you mess about to much with changing their food about that can cause them to have problems with their tummys and bowels.
So if she likes them I would stay with them:D

calismum
30-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I had one cat who wouldn't do on high protein foods at all. It made him very upset, with runny and foul poos.

I have had a few dogs who got very smelly on expensive, high protein foods. One also was very runny to the extent she was on antibiotics as vet was convinced it must have been infection.

I try to vary diets a little so that they don't become too fussy. But, if you have found a core of foods that she likes, and that agree with her then, I'd try to keep her on these 'core' foods, and once she is stabilised then I'd try introducing new foods one at a time.

Glad to hear she seems to have a bit more oomph.

yola
30-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I've recently re-introduced Balie (12 y/o male) to wet food after almost a lifetime of dry because he was loosing weight.

He is tollerating Whiskas senior and RC Oral Mature but each time I feed him Applaws wet he gets the most awful runs.

I think the thing is to go with what works. It is, and always has been trial and error as there are so may foods on the market.

My personal feeling is that Royal Canin really does provide excellent nutritional balance (OK, I know not everyone will agree, but I can only go with almost 12 years of personal experience), and if special dietary requirements are needed they can usually cater for it.

smudgley
30-04-2009, 10:32 PM
OK - before you start reading this can I remind you that my lovely old Merlin had been eating more or less the same senior food for absolutely ages and so I have forgotten more than I care to admit about normal adult cat feeding.

At the CP, Smudgely tells me that she was eating RC kibbles (not sure which variety) and Felix. Her foster mother told me that the wet food made her runny, so then she was eating only kibble.

Before we got her home, she started with the very smelly wind, which you all know about - good thing we don't have "smellapc" yet! When we got her home, she seemed fine to continue with kibble (which was a right mixture of stuff I'd had in a tin for quite a while) but I had in mind to change her diet to what I considered to be a good one - Nature's Menu wet and Applaws dry. But after her windy problem I went to the shop and bought a trial bag of RC Digestive Comfort - anything I thought to myself that would help her tummy to settle down. She loved the RC and ate it in preference to the Applaws or the wet food and of course, being a small bag, it ran out quite quickly. Then on Tuesday evening she was very runny and also yesterday morning, so I withdrew all food and just made sure she had fresh water, which she was drinking. But yesterday afternoon poor lass was obviously very hungry, so I poached her some white fish which she polished off. Later in the evening she was still hungry and so frantic rummaging in the cupboard and I came up with 2 sachets of Almo Nature, one chicken and one chicken and cheese and tried her on the chicken. (Merlin wouldn't touch it!) Kizzy however loved it and ate the whole sachet before going off to sleep with, I hoped, a comfier tummy. Her poo this morning was firm (although horribly smelly!) and she ate the chicken and cheese for breakfast. My online order for the RC Digestive Comfort arrived mid morning and before I had unpacked it, Kizzy was there and so had some more of that. She seems to be a different little cat now, full of play and energy - we will see if this continues, as I have to say that her lack of energy was worrying me as I thought a young cat would be more playful and active for at least a few hours per day.

So, we have been out and bought more of the Almo Nature. Is it possible that a higher protein food can upset a cat's digestive system, although one might think that it was actually a better food?

Sorry this is long and rambling - I think I'd better go through it all before I submit!

She was having felix wet & Royal Canin sensible dry when she was with me, her motions were fine whilst here.
She should have been on the same food with her fosterer Vicky, but sounds like Vicky stopped the wet food.

angieh
30-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I hope you didn't think I was in any way criticising, Smudgley. I am really just trying to find a diet that suits Kizzy's tummy which still seems to have a way to go before it's settled. Merlin was fed for years and years on Felix senior wet food without problem. I had not tried RC before at all.

I'm just trying for a balance that suits her.

pookyandjo
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
good that you have found something Angie....its funny though how it can be trial and error most of the time..
Harri i think has a cast iron belly.. since ive had her she mainly eats the hills kitten food dry.. but she's had wet kitten food and even smelly fishy adult cat food when she was all snuffy with the flu in an effort to get her to eat..all with no any problems ....but i decided before i got her that my next cat was going to have a mixture of wet and dry... even if it just meant having wet once a week as a treat.. (tinky was on Dry all his life and wouldn't touch wet food)
Some of the higher protein foods can cause the runs... sometimes because there is a protein allergy.. (thats what Tinky had) His inital symptoms were flatulence, sloppy bowel motions... (about the consistency of ....a bit like melting soft serve... sorry for that analogy... but it's about the best descriptor) and towards the endo f the period right before he was diagnosed with the protein allergy... vomiting bile ... it would be interesting to see the protein stats on the foods that have made her bowel motions lose compared with the ones that haven't... in the event that they are about the same it could be the way the proteins are prepared..The food that Tinky was on was Hills prescription diet ZD... that was actually quite high in protein... but it was hydrolized proteins.. which are broken down to an easily digestable state..

angieh
01-05-2009, 02:08 PM
You know what I said yesterday? And we'd been out and bought 12 more sachets???? I KNOW that was one things in "the things that cats learn" thread! She won't eat it today! She's been runny again but has eaten a plateful of Felix supermeat - luckily I have quite a lot of that in the store cupboard! What's the betting she won't eat that tomorrow?

It is very interesting about that several of you have had "experiences" with high protein food or different types of protein. I wonder where I go from here ...... any more help or info would be appreciated.

pookyandjo
01-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I hear you about eat it today but not tomorrow...
When we had to start Tinky on the ZD we thought we would just give George the ZD as well... seeing the other food made Tinky sick.... well George wouldn't have any of that... he refused to eat... so we had to put him back on his old food and make sure that we kept them apart....
Fussy George didn't want to eat the ZD but that didn't mean that he wouldn't steal some when he got the chance...lol the last laugh is on him... cause i had nearly a full small bag of it left after tinky died... and he's still eating mixed with his own dry food of preference..lol
most of the better dry foods... (hills, RC etc.. offer money back if its not suitable (at least they do here in Australia).. maybe you could try some of the different types both between brands and within the brands to find one that works for Kizzy...then once you have established which ones work try and and find which wet is good for her...maybe some of the main websites (hills , RC etc) have provision to email them to ask which foods would be best for a specific problem

dinahsmum
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
If you want some 'country wisdom' angie, without an ounce of science behind it, the first thing the old farmers would do for (eg) a calf with 'the scours' would be to reduce the grade of the food. So, from 'growers pellets' (designed to fatten them up), to a sort of 'maintenance diet'.
My boys don't do well on Whiskas. I tend to buy whatever is on offer (as long as it's in jelly not gravy - they don't care for gravy) for their wet food and often just use canned Tesco stuff. It looks OK, they enjoy it and we don't have runny tummies unless somebody overeats. Whiskas is far more likely to give them the runs.

And you're quite right about Feline Wit & Wisdom
Rule 27. Adore a food. Fuss about it. Wolf it down then wash luxuriously for hours. Wait till they buy a 48 pack. Then go off it.

Leesy
01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Have you tried her with any of the RC wet foods that you can get now, Maisy has the RC Maine Coon biscuits and the RC Kitten wet, and she has no problems with her bowels and never has had ( touch wood ).
It was just a thought if Kizzy does like the RC dry she might like the RC wet, they have I think about 5 different wet varietys.

dandysmom
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
If you want some 'country wisdom' angie, without an ounce of science behind it, the first thing the old farmers would do for (eg) a calf with 'the scours' would be to reduce the grade of the food. So, from 'growers pellets' (designed to fatten them up), to a sort of 'maintenance diet'.
My boys don't do well on Whiskas. I tend to buy whatever is on offer (as long as it's in jelly not gravy - they don't care for gravy) for their wet food and often just use canned Tesco stuff. It looks OK, they enjoy it and we don't have runny tummies unless somebody overeats. Whiskas is far more likely to give them the runs.

And you're quite right about Feline Wit & Wisdom
Rule 27. Adore a food. Fuss about it. Wolf it down then wash luxuriously for hours. Wait till they buy a 48 pack. Then go off it.

Lol, that is Leia to a T !!! :-D But when Onyx was here, no problem, she would eat anything, so at least it didn't go to waste. :roll:

angieh
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
OK - further Q - do you guys have any ideas re time scales? I know that the more chopping and changing her food the more likely she is to have upset tummy. So how long would you try one type of food before moving on to the next if it does not have the desired effect? That being firm poos with "ordinary" smell and no looseness.

Kizzy is not helping with this because sometimes she is loose and sometimes not - but she is ALWAYS smelly (poor lass).

dinahsmum
01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I think, if it was me, I'd do a 3 day fish and rice sort of exclusion episode. Clear all the previous stuff out of her system.
After that? That's when it gets more difficult! Try the commercial food (wet and dry) which appears to have suited her best, for a week?
I agree that chopping and changing isn't the best idea.
Good luck

angieh
01-05-2009, 04:48 PM
That makes good sense DM. I'll give that a go.

Kazz
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I really think its going to be a case of trial and error.I would suggest keeping a food diary if I were you..so you can see what happens with regard to what food and timescale.... thats how I found out Cleo had "upset stomach/sickness" after milk...and also after dried food...However if she were a dog I would suggest a food like Chappie...but I agree actually with DM and would try a really cheap cat food....bargain buys...own brand Cleo and Oscar both adored "Asda's own brand cat food" and I used it quite a bit as Oscar got a bit worse with his kidneys... as we have no idea do we what she has been eating so maybe the richer the food the worse the stomach.

Kazz
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Just a thought have you tried giving Kizzy a little bit of yogurtI do wonder though if it is stress related.....it started shortly after her long journey .

dinahsmum
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Just one more thought whilst I was in the shower (curry night tonight)
Do you think this wind/runs issue might just be Kizzie's (very mild) stress reaction to not being allowed out? I assume she was free ranging before CP and I assume she will be allowed out after a while Angie (eek - scarey; I'm with you on that one). Maybe it's just a mild symptom of Cabin Fever?

angieh
01-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Good thoughts - my Chiropodist suggested live yoghurt - I usually have some in the fridge for myself, so may give a teaspoonful a go - I don't know if Kizzy is lactose intolerant as I have only given her water to drink.

I'd also wondered about Eileen's bit of grass that she gives Leia daily. Kizzy of course has not gone out yet. From a vet's point of view she can go out a week after she's had her second inoculation which is next Thursday, so any time after 14th May but if I give it the full 6 weeks as recommended by CP, it won't be until after 24th May. So the grass idea is worth a try. She doesn't seem to be champing at the bit to go out and seems quite content. She is certainly more playful which is lovely to see.

I will certainly start a food diary Kazz - will help me remember what I'm doing!

Kazz
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Doesn't need to be muchbut it does help you "think" but looking back on it may help you form a link.

dandysmom
01-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Good thoughts - my Chiropodist suggested live yoghurt - I usually have some in the fridge for myself, so may give a teaspoonful a go - I don't know if Kizzy is lactose intolerant as I have only given her water to drink.

I'd also wondered about Eileen's bit of grass that she gives Leia daily. Kizzy of course has not gone out yet. From a vet's point of view she can go out a week after she's had her second inoculation which is next Thursday, so any time after 14th May but if I give it the full 6 weeks as recommended by CP, it won't be until after 24th May. So the grass idea is worth a try. She doesn't seem to be champing at the bit to go out and seems quite content. She is certainly more playful which is lovely to see.

I will certainly start a food diary Kazz - will help me remember what I'm doing!

I'm not sure about that given Kizzy's delicate stomach. Most cats eat grass as an emetic; some don't. Misty, Patches and Leia ate/eat it almost as we would salad, I suspect because it simply tastes good to them. None threw/throw up after eating it. I started doing that when Misty went blind and didn't go outside any more because she did love her grass! And just kept it up, after she passed; when Patches got a bit elderly for walks; found that Leia wanted some too, she'd try to push Patchie aside to get it. So that's my grass story. I suppose you could try it and see if she upchucks or not....

Elaine
01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Just one more thought whilst I was in the shower (curry night tonight)
Do you think this wind/runs issue might just be Kizzie's (very mild) stress reaction to not being allowed out? I assume she was free ranging before CP and I assume she will be allowed out after a while Angie (eek - scarey; I'm with you on that one). Maybe it's just a mild symptom of Cabin Fever?

OMG!!!! Hilary, you made me spit tea all over my key board when I first read that first line, I thought you too had an upset tummy.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Angie, when Bernie first arrived here, we nick named him the Grand Emperor Ming, every time he visited the litter box, we evacuated the house:lol: . When it became a little runny, we gave him Hill's I/D, boiled chicken or fish, anything bland, then gradually reintroduced his cat food. After a few months, his tummy settled down no bother. He never seemed in least bit stressed after his travels to get here from North Wales.

angieh
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
It's good to know Kizzy and I are not alone!

I think DM and Elaine are in unison on this - bland diet and then introduce other foods. Keep a food diary so I know what I'm doing or have done. I think intake and outcome diary might be helpful too! The grass might be one step too far perhaps! I'll let you know how we get on.

I wonder if there's a huge difference between Hills I/D and RC's Digestive Comfort? I'll look at the ingredients.

Just re-read the shower/curry post! I can see why Elaine nearly spat tea over her keyboard. That's gotta be some curry if you have to go in the shower afterwards!

Elaine
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I would have thought that the Hills I/D and the RC digestive comfort would be much of a muchness ingredients wise. If she is tolerating the RC ok then stick with it rather than change again, not to mention the added expense of buying yet another food.
You might even want to try the slippery elm bark as well, it's good for all digestive ailments.

smudgley
02-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I hope you didn't think I was in any way criticising, Smudgley. I am really just trying to find a diet that suits Kizzy's tummy which still seems to have a way to go before it's settled. Merlin was fed for years and years on Felix senior wet food without problem. I had not tried RC before at all.

I'm just trying for a balance that suits her.

Of course I didn't think that Angie. Just trying to let you know the specific diet she was on. :cool: