PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions any advice greatly received

TraceyCraig
30-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Hello all its been a while
i quick update cause i don't think i have posted since july-Aug last year.
If you remember me at all i have a cat Moses who gave birth to 3 kittens last July, She was a brilliant mom and all kittens have been rehomed to loving families:D
We has moses spayed in january od this year so no more kittens for her.
Well my questions start there.... do they put on weight after been spayed ? Moses is the fatest i've seen her apart from when she was pg ...if i didn't know better i would have said she was pg again.
And my second question is a bit more long winded. Over the last month or so Moses would go out all day then only come back at night which was fine then she started going out all night and coming back to sleep in the day which was ok too. Then she went for 4 days :shock: i phoned all the local vets giving her details incase something had happened to her. She then came back but then dissappeared for nearly 2 weeks :shock: :shock: i would call her day and night but nothing not a sign then on tuesday she just strolled up the path like she had never been away. It quiet obivous that she has been fed somewhere else cause of her size i just don't know what to do if i keep her in its like locking her up and thats not fair but i want my cat i don't want someone else to have her. I haven't let her out since she came back i have put the litter tray down and watch the doors everytime they are opened. Is this normal behaviour ....my dh said it is but she was so loyal and loving before the kittens and after what could have changed to make her look else where. I can hel thinking she resents me/ us for getting rid of her babies then taking her to the vets so she can't have anymore.
Sorry i know i babbling on now ....please just some advice would really help me
Thank you for reading if you go this far
love
Tracey & Moses
xx

alexgirl73
30-04-2009, 10:09 AM
There is a very good chance she is being fed elsewhere, as you say. What you could do, is put a collar on her with one of those little barrels on, and put a note in it saying she is your cat and could anyone feeding her please stop as she is on a restricted diet!! I know someone beside my MIL did this not long ago, and put notes through every door in the local area telling them the cat was on a serious diet and could not be fed other cat food lol. Mind you, this cat was HUGE! Other than that I can only suggest keeping her in.

yola
30-04-2009, 10:14 AM
OK, it sounds as if your Moses has got herself another 'home'! Does she wear a collar? If so, get one of those barrels in which you can put a message and write a note asking for her not to be fed as it's making her very overweight!

The problem with you stopping feeding her is that she'll spend less and less time at your place which will naturally be upsetting as she's your cat!

TraceyCraig
30-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Yes she wears a collar ....so i will get a barrell thing like you say and will pop some fliers through doors. And i will keep her in just for a while try and sort her weight out and hopefully regain her loyalty. Thats not been selfish is it ?
Thanks so much for you replies
Tracey
xxx

yola
30-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Not selfish at all - very sensible!

However bear in mind that by restricting her outside access she will become less active which in itself won't help her chubbiness ;)

Also have a look at mixing in some 'light' food into her usual diet to help with weight control.

angieh
30-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Tracey - sorry to hear about your worries with Moses. Cats don't hold grudges! She won't be blaming you for getting good homes for her kittens or for having her spayed which was a very good thing to do! My Smudge put on a lot of weight after she'd been spayed and she lost muscle tone in her undercarriage which used to swing around when she ran (poor love!). She was on a "light" diet for years and I have to say she neither gained nor lost weight on it. Cats are opportunists and will go anywhere they are offered food or other comforts. I would go with the others' advise re leafleting or collar barrel or this company do personalised collars eg. "Vet diet" or wording to suit. They are safety collars too.

http://www.kittycollars.co.uk/

Best of luck to you and Moses.

dinahsmum
30-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I can't add to the good advice you have already received
Good luck

Leesy
30-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I can't add to the good advice you have already received
Good luck

Same hear I think everybody has hit the nail on the head as to the best route to take.

Good Luck Pauline, Maxi & Maisy :D

dandysmom
30-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm echoing the above: excellent advice! Good luck.