PDA

View Full Version : Look what we got!

MrsH
29-04-2009, 09:59 AM
:D :D Remember that I said we'd been puttiing Morgan's puppy fluff out in the garden in a peanut holder?

We've had several birds visiting it and taking fluff, in fact we've had to re-fill it.

Look what we saw yesterday afternoon!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/MrsH_photos/gold1.jpg

A golfinch who visited at least 3 times! Its mate was sitting on a branch above just watching!

yola
29-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Brilliant! Clever birds :-D
I put heaps of cat fluff out but it was completely ignored . . . ended up soaking wet and stuck to the paving all over the garden :roll:

dinahsmum
29-04-2009, 10:27 AM
He looks a bit like Santa!
You'll need to grow teazels now, so they can feed off the seed heads - or perhaps you already feed them Niger seed?

Leesy
29-04-2009, 10:52 AM
They are just sooooo sweet aren`t they these little birds and they work so hard when nesting and feeding their little chicks when they arrive, there is nothing better than sitting in the garden watching the wee little birdies and of course my cats:D :D

angieh
29-04-2009, 11:15 AM
That's a great picture Mrs H! Those little birds do work so hard and it's nice to think their little chicks will have a soft lining to their nest.

pookyandjo
29-04-2009, 11:22 AM
that's amazing... great picture!

MrsH
29-04-2009, 12:19 PM
that's amazing... great picture!

Thanks pookyandjo, we tried to snap them through the living-room window but it wasn't a good shot (and the window was dirty so that didn't help!)

OH sat in the car in the drive with the window down and just waited till they came back so that he could get a clear shot.

Angieh - I too hope their chicks will be nice and warm, I like to think of them as snuggled up in a doggie duvet! :D :D :D

Yola - I'm sorry the birds ignored your cats' fluff, they don't know what they're missing!

Moli
29-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Thats a brilliant picture, never thought of putting the fur in a feeder, really good idea....

alexgirl73
29-04-2009, 01:44 PM
excellent pic and idea! I too put my cats fluff out lol, but was never taken. Will put it in a spare feeder later :)

Mags
29-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Excellent idea putting the fur in the feeder, mine has also ended up untouched in the hedge!

Your photo would be worthy of any bird magazine, MrsH ........ I would submit it and give it a try..;)

Leesy
29-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Excellent idea putting the fur in the feeder, mine has also ended up untouched in the hedge!

Your photo would be worthy of any bird magazine, MrsH ........ I would submit it and give it a try..;)

Thats a really good idea Mags:D

angieh
29-04-2009, 03:40 PM
or one of the bird food suppliers!

dandysmom
29-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Brilliant pic! And thanks for the tip about putting it in the feeder: I put mine on the bushes and high winds blew most of it away, then the rain came and turned the second batch into a soggy mess. I'm not sure if the birds are still nesting now, but will try your tip with the current supply of fur.

PoshPuss
29-04-2009, 05:57 PM
that is a brill pic Mrs H :) and lovely to see the shy goldfinch taking advantage for his nest. All I seem to see around here are magpies and collared doves, the old blackbird or crow but no little finches anymore. I have a bird table but its probably in the wrong place. Do you think the aviary puts the wild bird off?

Kim
29-04-2009, 09:30 PM
That is a brilliant photo - gorgeous, clever little bird. :)

random
29-04-2009, 10:32 PM
How lovely! I have done the same with our cat and dog hair, it's in an old fatball bag, we only get sparrows after it so far though!