PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu . . . DM?

yola
27-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Having come back with a temperature and sniffles from the West Coast DM, do you think you and OH ought to be tested for this?

My step-daugther is scheduled to go to Mexico on holiday in 5 weeks time . . . hopefully this thing will have blown over by then as she has a compromised imune system which means that she's extra-susceptible to such viruses.

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Actually Yola, she was on the East Coast in Georgia, where no cases have shown up ..... yet. I couldn't help but wonder about the same thing, however.

This strain is scarily similar to the great WWI pandemic in that it is much more fatal to young healthy adults, instead of the very young and elderly. They are saying that's because in that age group the immune system is very strong and sets up such a strong defense against the virus that it can weaken the body to the point that it can be fatal. Oddly, those with weaker immune responses are much more likely to have a mild case and survive.

I saw on TV at noon that the UK is recommending no travel to the States or Mexico unless really necessary. I'm mildly concerned, but not panicy. If it does come, I still have a stockpile of latex gloves and face masks from the anthrax scare a few years back!!

yola
27-04-2009, 08:17 PM
You're right Eileen - of course Georgia's in the east. Why did I have San Diego on my mind?? :?

Sorry, my geography is apalling :oops:

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Can't be worse than mine on the UK, Yola! We should worry a bit about Moli when she goes back to Houston!

calismum
27-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Just heard on news that 2 confirmed cases in Scotland.

It really seems to be a bad strain doesn't it.

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Scotland? How awful; anywhere near you?

Kazz
27-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Woah have I missed something I must watch the news read the papers....two cases in Scotland...had they been to Mexico or had contact with people who had by any chance, or is this an independant outbreak?

calismum
27-04-2009, 08:34 PM
The hospital is around 35 miles from us, but the people are from Forth Valley which is more to the east.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/04/27/swine-flu-confirmed-in-scotland-as-two-test-positive-for-killer-disease-and-seven-more-show-symptoms-86908-21313566/

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Woah have I missed something I must watch the news read the papers....two cases in Scotland...had they been to Mexico or had contact with people who had by any chance, or is this an independant outbreak?

Here you go, Kazz....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/27/swine-flu-scotland

Moli
27-04-2009, 09:39 PM
We were in ther Gulf of Mexico:? I do not intend going back to Houston for a while, but Hubby goes back in 2 weeks:?

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm sure he'll take care, Moli; glad you'll be at home for a while. This has the potential of being bad; can't imagine how they're going to contain it. But at least the variety outside of Mexico seems to be a milder non-lethal form.....

Leesy
27-04-2009, 09:46 PM
We were in ther Gulf of Mexico:? I do not intend going back to Houston for a while, but Hubby goes back in 2 weeks:?

It all sounds abit scary to me Moli, could he not aviod going back at the moment just until things have settled down and there is a clearer picture?:?

Moli
27-04-2009, 09:58 PM
It all sounds abit scary to me Moli, could he not aviod going back at the moment just until things have settled down and there is a clearer picture?:?
He seems to think its not as bad as they are making out...:roll: Doubt very much if he would stop at home....But I sure am staying here for the time being..:?

yola
27-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I suspect the reason it's so bad in Mexico City is that poverty and overcrowding is exacerbating the problem - possibly also people don't have the access to medical care they might have in the US or UK.

Hopefully for all concerned they can contain it quickly with minimal further loss of life :(

Leesy
27-04-2009, 10:12 PM
He seems to think its not as bad as they are making out...:roll: Doubt very much if he would stop at home....But I sure am staying here for the time being..:?

If he can`t put it off his visit I hope that it all settles down very quickly then at least you will be a little bit more at ease with him going over there,:roll: :roll: men what are they like I think they just like us to be worried about them.

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 10:12 PM
That's a very valid point, Yola, and one I haven't seen on TV or on the papers. But I don't see how it can be contained. One person on a plane......even if he infects only 10 people, they'll reach their destination and go home by taxi, infect the driver and future passengers; take the Metro and infect how many who'll spread it to their family members who'll then spread it to work mates or schoolmates....

This could have a very bad effect on the faltering economy. Sorry to sound like Cassandra here....

Leesy
27-04-2009, 10:15 PM
That's a very valid point, Yola, and one I haven't seen on TV or on the papers. But I don't see how it can be contained. One person on a plane......even if he infects only 10 people, they'll reach their destination and go home by taxi, infect the driver and future passengers; take the Metro and infect how many who'll spread it to their family members who'll then spread it to work mates or schoolmates....

This could have a very bad effect on the faltering economy. Sorry to sound like Cassandra here....

Oh don`t say that DM that really does sound too scary for words, it sounds like something off one of these horror films:shock: :shock:

dandysmom
27-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Sorry, Leesy, didn't mean to scare you! But my Mom was a nurse in WWI and I grew up on stories of that pandemic. Granted, we have better medications now, but we also couldn't fly from Hong Kong to London, so with modern transportation can't imagine how it will be contained,

pookyandjo
28-04-2009, 01:54 AM
We have confirmed cases in Australia too... they are concerned here because we are coming into the end of our autumn and then into winter when cold and flu season is usually prevalent.. so they think that if the swine Flu takes hold here it will be bad

dandysmom
28-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Oh Jo, didn't know it had been confirmed in Australia too! Awful. Especially as you're going into flu season.

dinahsmum
28-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Hubby and I wander round thehouse singing "Swine Fever, Swine Fever", a la Bee Gees :roll:
We're fine thanks - the sniffles soon went (more to do with an oveheated cabin and a lack of sleep methinks) and all is well.

Re Swine Flu in general. Although in my most gloomy moments I do think there will be some sort of pandemic to decimate world population (which, in the abstract would probably be a good thing, or not a bad thing) this doesn't sound like what I know about the 1918 pandemic (which killed more people worldwide than WW1). Then, fit young people were arriving at work feeling fine at 8am and dying by noon. No time for snivelling or hospital admissions.
Fingers crossed that this is a something or nothing. Apparently 25s to 45s would be hardest hit. I don't want anything to happen to my children and I like all you people - who would I talk to??????

alexgirl73
28-04-2009, 09:14 AM
:lol: DM, I just love how you manage to take the gravity out of situations, and leave us all with a smile on our face. Glad you and OH are feeling better (and I just know I'm going to be singing 'swine fever' all day now!!)

pookyandjo
28-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes DM...thanks for popping that annoying rendition into my head...i will have to work hard to get rid of it..
I sent an email aboutthis whole situation to some friends in the USA today and mentioned Swine Fever...but my typing was a little too quick and i didn't hit the "S" quite hard enough and it came out as Wine Fever.....so that's what we are calling it here...

Sweet
28-04-2009, 12:25 PM
We are going back to Mexico in August - hopefully all will be clear by then, my thoughts are with everyone and the people of Mexico.

Julie x

Mags
28-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Early days yet but it already looks as though it's spreading across the continents :?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8021547.stm