PDA

View Full Version : cat sick and off food please give any advice!

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 01:51 PM
hi everyone im wondering if anyone can give me some advice, my cat George is 10 months old and friday night we came home and he'd been sick. i didnt think much of it as sometimes cats can be sick as a one off but then he was sick after his dinner and then overnight we woke up and there was about 10 areas of sick all over the house. i tried giving him some water and he vomitted this up straight away. i took him to the vets yesterday morning and she gave him a nausea injection and when we got him home he had perked up a bit but today he is etremely lathargic and wont really move from one place, he has the runs and hes not interested in eating or drinking. i am going to keep a close eye on him and think i will take him to the vets tomorrow morning?

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 01:53 PM
as i was writing this post he has just eaten some boiled chicken so fingers crossed he will keep it down!

angieh
26-04-2009, 02:38 PM
You've done right - poached chicken or white fish. Keep him on a bland diet until he perks up. I do understand how worried you must be, but you have already taken him to the vet - so just stick with it and see how he goes. See how he gets on.

Mags
26-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Poor George, he is going through a bad time, isn't he.....:(

Keep him on a bland diet of boiled chicken or boiled/steamed white fish for a few days, also ensure he is drinking plenty of water as he will be dehydrated after vomiting so much.

I hope he'll start to improve very soon.

If there's no improvement in a couple of days I would take him back to the vet.

Please keep us updated on his condition..

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks you are right i just need to give him time to recover. He has just gone back to sleep but hes not been sick again which is a relief!

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 02:43 PM
thanks Mags. i will definitely take him to the Vets agai if this carrys on. He is normally such a happy little kitten its sad seeing him like this :(

Mags
26-04-2009, 02:56 PM
thanks Mags. i will definitely take him to the Vets agai if this carrys on. He is normally such a happy little kitten its sad seeing him like this :(

Does George have oudoor access? I wonder if he could have eaten something outside that upset him :?

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 02:59 PM
yes he does go outside, he has had all his injections. but he wasnt outside at all on friday cos the weather wasnt so good

Mags
26-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Just a thought, does he ever chew any house plants?

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 03:03 PM
yes he is very fond of that!

Mags
26-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Some houseplants can be toxic to cats, just make sure you have none of these within his reach....

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=25216&highlight=ooisonous+plants

ToddKat
26-04-2009, 03:11 PM
thanks i dont think we have any of those plants. hopefully he hasnt eaten any from someone else's back garden

dandysmom
26-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Poor George, hope he'll improve on the bland diet...does he eat wet food? If so, adding a bit of warm water to it will increase his liquid intake and help with the dehydration.

Leesy
27-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi ToddKat just read your post and wondered how George is doing, hope he is feeling abit better now.