PDA

View Full Version : Burns Nutrition

Donna
24-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Does anyone feed?

As much as I was trying to avoid dry food as Chloe is prone to cystitis, I understand from Burns that it is the quality of the dry food that causes the problems rather than the dry itself. So a good quality dry is better than poor quality moist.

I am going to try this for a while and see how Chloe is with regard to the quality rather than the moisture in the food.

Any thoughts?

dinahsmum
24-04-2009, 01:16 PM
My boys eat Burns as their dry rations plus wet food (about 50/50).
Dinah has 100% Burns and she is great (tho' she is a dog, of course!).
I've always been happy with it but can only speak as I find.

angieh
24-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't know the pros and cons either Donna and will be interested to see what others say.

smudgley
24-04-2009, 08:22 PM
If she is prone to cystitis I would have thought a wet diet is better for her than dry food unless she is having a specific urinary dry diet.

Personally Burns is not a favourite of mine.

dandysmom
24-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know Burns; but when Leia had cystitis my vet said give her wet, and encourage her to drink more. I'd be interested also in your results, as Leia really prefers dry .....

Donna
25-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Hmmm not a good start.. have been introducing Chloe and Misty to this dry food and today I have had to clear up diarreah and vomit....

dandysmom
25-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Oh my! Definitely not a good start!

angieh
25-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Oh poor pusscats. Doesn't sound as if the food agrees with them for such a quick reaction to have happened.

Should also say poor you!

Elaine
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Burns also do a wet cat food, it's quite expensive though. I bought 2 boxes of the stuff but my cats wont bloody touch it:roll: You are welcome to have a couple of pouches to try it if you like.

Donna
02-05-2009, 07:43 AM
LOL I cant win with cat food!!! Dry food has got to be off the menu as Misty gulps it down so quick and that is why she ends up sick.... Chloe generally doesnt do well on dry so maybe I just forget dry food!!!

I did see they do wet food Elaine... and they also do a single pouch... was thinking of buying a couple.. think they do two varieties?

I can pay you for a couple if you let me know the postage and costs?

Elaine
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Thats ok Donna, the postage wont cost much for a couple of pouches.
pm me your addy and I'll get them posted next week for you.

dinahsmum
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Re: Wolfing it down too quickly
You could try the trick that's recommended for greedy puppies - put a heavy ball, or a large pebble or something similar in the dish and put the dry food in 'around' it. The animal has to negotiate the object and can't just act like an earth mover, shovelling in the food.

Donna
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Thats ok Donna, the postage wont cost much for a couple of pouches.
pm me your addy and I'll get them posted next week for you.

Thank you Elaine - you are very kind :D

Donna
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Re: Wolfing it down too quickly
You could try the trick that's recommended for greedy puppies - put a heavy ball, or a large pebble or something similar in the dish and put the dry food in 'around' it. The animal has to negotiate the object and can't just act like an earth mover, shovelling in the food.

Thats a clever idea! And as Misty is a bit short in the brains dept she wont work out how to get it out of the bowl :lol:

Gumby Cat
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Solomon likes the dry Burns food but hated the moist fishy one, and he's not usually fussy - I thought I would try them as he was bordering on being overweight. I gave the remaining two pouches I'd ordered to a friend, but her cats wouldn't touch it either! :-D I haven't tried the chicken and rice moist because the vet didn't think Burns was right for Sol as it's high in protein, so he's now on Hills Prescription i/d biscuits which fortunately he likes.